Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Have questions on changing motor in MGT's >

Have questions on changing motor in MGT's

Have questions on changing motor in MGT's

Old 09-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Have questions on changing motor in MGT's

I have 2 mgt 8.0 with the .50 size motors. I also have 2 mgts with the .28 motors. I am looking at possibly taking the .50 size motors off of the two trucks and replacing them with something like the dynamite .26 or .28 motors. I know that the transmissions are different, and I know you can use the 8.0 transmission on the 4.6 as long as you change the spur gears. I guess my main question is can I just pull the .50 off and drop the .26 or .28 right in its place without any modifications ? can anyone think of anything else I would have to do ?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

mgt, i am guessing that your clutch question post has something to do with this swap? yes you should be able to swap any of the big block motors with no problem although with different manufactures you will most likely have to reshim the clutch bell a little. .21 and up should be no problem as long as the exhaust port is in the same position. example most .21 and bigger size motors all use rear exhaust with just a few exceptions.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Adept

You would be correct in your assumption. And thanks for the info.....Now about shimming, do you just put more shims on before the clutch bell ?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Shimming can be tricky at times, but you'll figure it out. The best thing to do is buy an ofna clutch shim kit. Comes with different bolts, shims, and crank extenders that make it very easy to shim. But the exhaust is the only real thing you should have to worry about other than the clutch because the 8.0 exhaust wont work on anything else.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info...I will look for one of those kits.