Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
HPI New 1/8 gas Monster!!! >

HPI New 1/8 gas Monster!!!

HPI New 1/8 gas Monster!!!

Old 02-08-2014, 05:01 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GrimReminder View Post
No doubt. Losi's version is cool and all BUT, if im gonna drop coin and run a 2 stroke it better sound and run like a 2 stroke. The losi sounds almost exactly like its nitro counter part.
Just to clear things up a little. Every nitro engine out there is a two stroke unless it has valves, then it's a four stroke. The difference in sound between the Losi and Savage is due to the size of the engine. The Losi is around 5cc while the Savage is 15cc which is 3x as big. The only ground breaking thing about the Losi engine is the spark plug and burning gas instead of nitro. The losi engine is a nitro engine with the correct compression to burn gas and most importantly... A spark plug! I will be willing to bet the new Losi can also burn nitro for more power (with proper head shimming) but with the better running characteristics of an engine with a spark plug as opposed to a glo plug. The only reason current nitro engines don't have a spark plug is for simplicity. The spark plug adds that box with the plug wire coming out of it which takes up room and adds weight. It also should make for a smoother running engine. In the end, the Savage should smoke the losi with the much larger engine and a similar sized truck . I guess eventually we will find out.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

UK,s main supplier for HPI say its is expecting to receive the "Octane' 5th May.

Last edited by Nitro Basher; 03-01-2014 at 01:27 PM. Reason: incorrect date
Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
The Octane motor blows the losi out of the water. Ever since I saw the LST XXL 2 I was thinking that they must have rushed it and IMO the video confirmed it.
losi has been working on theirs for a year and a half im a huge savage fan but I think the losi will be faster plus the setup looks cleaner
Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah78 View Post
Just to clear things up a little. Every nitro engine out there is a two stroke unless it has valves, then it's a four stroke. The difference in sound between the Losi and Savage is due to the size of the engine. The Losi is around 5cc while the Savage is 15cc which is 3x as big. The only ground breaking thing about the Losi engine is the spark plug and burning gas instead of nitro. The losi engine is a nitro engine with the correct compression to burn gas and most importantly... A spark plug! I will be willing to bet the new Losi can also burn nitro for more power (with proper head shimming) but with the better running characteristics of an engine with a spark plug as opposed to a glo plug. The only reason current nitro engines don't have a spark plug is for simplicity. The spark plug adds that box with the plug wire coming out of it which takes up room and adds weight. It also should make for a smoother running engine. In the end, the Savage should smoke the losi with the much larger engine and a similar sized truck . I guess eventually we will find out.
It will take alot more than some head shimming to make a gas motor run on nitro or a nitro engine to run on gas.. As far as nitro not having plugs for simplicty that isnt true.. They dont have plugs because nitro fuel is closer to diesel fuel than regular gas... It needs very little to ignite it under the pressure the cylinder has unlike gas...Sounds wise im not even gonna go there.. But its more than just size its also the rpm range which these motors run, you can't even compare the 2...

Last edited by chadj1980; 03-01-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: added more
Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Release delayed until 23 May 2014 according to HPI supplier in UK.