Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Savage X SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default refurb rollbar

After rolling and flipping my truck, on the brakes , not with wheelies the rollbar started looking like it was doing it's job. Time to spruce it up a bit. I had used spray on bedliner on some chassis plates that I might use one day use so I decided to try it on the rollbar.

using a wire wheel in a dremel to remove the anodizing and smooth some of the jagged gouges. no need for perfection, the liner is rough textured and will hide a lot.

I taped it off at the chassis line and am removing everything above.

got off all the purple, wiped it down with alcohol, sprayed with liner. I held it and moved it around and clamped it in a vice to get a nice uniform coat. the spray liner pools easier than you'd think.

installed and ready to kinda protect my truck (not you cooling head!). don't worry about the missing tranny plug, almost nothing got in there...sheesh.

Last edited by IH8VTEC; 01-30-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IH8VTEC
I followed both pieces of advice and put a little locktite on the threads AND tightened them down more. Since I'm always preaching about good quality tools and the right tools, I bought a 17mm wheel wrench. Last run session all my wheels stayed on the truck and I really can't ask for more than that! Thanks guys!
Glad to know, that's great!
Your Savage is nice!

A little loose on the wheel nut will rounded both the wheel and aluminum wheel hub, I rounded 2 wheels and hubs on the left side of my Savage (lazy to check them...)...

Use epoxy to glue the aluminum extended hub to the wheel, in order to use the still new VTR Revolver. Eventually need to replace the aluminum wheel hubs, but able to finish the meat on the tires first...
Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 AM
Tech Regular

Default Next project. X SS FLUX tl;dr

X SS #2 found on ebay, in pristine condition. Every part glistening under the harsh glow of my UV shop lights. Looks like a new truck shined up with armor all and ready to get dirty.

Wait why is it shining? Oh man, did it ship with fuel in the tank? Yes, a little. That's not it, it doesn't smell like fuel. It's slimy and not really cleaning up that easily. WTF? Wow, maybe he really did armor all it. Gotta love ebay. Suspension feels weird, lets take a look. O.M.G. The shocks are covered in oil and leaking it all over the truck, coating the a arms, driveshafts, everything. All 8 of them. But...why...how come?

Like I said, all 8 of them.

Too long already story shortened, I rebuilt the shocks while deciding what to do with the truck. Savage X SS Flux.

Parts are trickling in as I decide on them. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm doing this build in this thread because it is still a X SS, I guess.
I have a couple more things for the nitro truck so this might get tedious posting back and forth on the two trucks. I made a key; Purple = nitro, almost no purple = electric. Easy.

p.s. I'm not using the shocks
Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hah,
was the only problem with the shocks that the top o-ring was in the wrong spot ?

Gotta love that oily sheen
Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CamZH
Hah,
was the only problem with the shocks that the top o-ring was in the wrong spot ?

Gotta love that oily sheen
Yeah haha, I used green slime and re used the o ring in the correct position and they assembled perfectly. Like I said I'm not using them but they haven't leaked in the storage bag so...

Other than that the truck was perfect. If there wasn't a tiny bit of fuel in the tank I would have never thought it had been run. Of course it received a full tear down, after seeing the shocks you gotta wonder "what else?"

On a side note this is the second shock oil sheen Hpi vehicle I've received off ebay. A RS4 Rally came in a similar state, assembled like new and soaked to the core in shock oil from incorrectly placed o rings.

here is the rally. this one also had more than a fine layer of dust absorbing the shock oil. shocks were empty.

I have pictures of the shocks somewhere. I HAVE to find them for you!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:45 AM
Tech Regular

Ok here it is. He basically used the o rings as travel limiters. No way these held oil longer than 5 minutes.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IH8VTEC
Ok here it is. He basically used the o rings as travel limiters. No way these held oil longer than 5 minutes.

Ha, nice work

How does the HS4 Rally go on dirt ?
Issues with the belts and debris ?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CamZH
Ha, nice work

How does the HS4 Rally go on dirt ?
Issues with the belts and debris ?
With the Castle SCT combo it hauls. It does better in the dirt with the rally block tires than on pavement. On the blacktop it's always spinning out, hard to get top speed runs in. On dirt, just nail the throttle and steer. We usually run on grass fields, there it's a tad slower than my friends Tmaxx 3.3 with foc and 72/20 gearing. That also means it's faster than my Savage.

Durability seems ok as far as belts and gears go. It uses 46 pitch (I think) and I run with only the bottom tray on. I ran one time with no chassis covers and had an issue with small rocks in the gears. With just the bottom tray debris gets in but it hasn't really been an issue. I did manage to thermal shut down while running on a dry grass field.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

I went ahead a upgraded the steering blocks. Did I need to? No. But I found Hpi blocks cheap NIP on ebay so I bought them. And they are purple, which brings me to my next point. I'm kind of over the purple. I have a few more upgrades planned but no more purple, in fact my flux build will have no purple at all. I plan on using MR-Painting for some custom anodizing. The only problem is what color to over do next? Gold? No. Maybe.

before

gawd that's a lot of purple.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:54 AM
Tech Regular

Had a great run today. Still cant tell if 3rd gear is hitting. The truck moves out (still no wheelies) pretty good and is so far away I can't hear any shifting. I don't see any increase in speed either so I'd say it's not. I think the engine is still breaking in. I'll give it the rest of this gallon and see how it goes. I have a new motor and pipe combo on the way, that will definitely get 3rd going. I have a few other mods I'd like to do such as universal shafts all around to more efficiently put down the power.

My latest upgrade was a new throttle/brake servo. The HS 645MG was doing ok but it was super slow. I put in a 985MG for more speed and power. Brakes were still enough to front flip the truck and the throttle seemed a little snappier, still no wheelies though. Definitely worth the money.

Last edited by IH8VTEC; 08-04-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Tech Regular

It has been over a month since the last update. I wish it was because I was out driving all the time. Sadly that is not the case but hopefully that will change soon. I have gotten some driving in and I'm really liking the throttle servo upgrade. Know what else I'm really liking? A little package I received a little while ago from a little company you might have heard of, ERCM.

lrp .30 extreme racing mod, big bore side bleed, small bore side bleed

So for I've only run the pipe. I want to see if the 5.9 is going to loosen up a bit more. I almost have a gallon through it and it is improving. Still no wheelies no matter how I tune it but the speed is increasing. I have to say I really like this pipe, lower temps, stable idle and near stock sound. It is also nearly half the weight of the CEN monstrosity.

before

8.47oz

4.7oz

So that's it for now, here is a sneak peek of things to come;

Last edited by IH8VTEC; 04-01-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 AM
Tech Regular

Default What is this? Well obvisouly you're not a golfer.

Spent a few nights in the garage putting this latest project together. Watched the same movie over and over during the build, any fans?

I've been collecting parts for a couple different builds and finally had the time to sit down and start one. I have a box of parts and a few donor Savages. Movie on, parts out and this is what I came up with. It's a mixture of Savage X and 21/25 parts. The transmission is parted from a new X on ebay, the diffs are rebuilt from a 25, the battery box came from an X SS and just about everything else is new old stock HB/Hpi or RPM.

this is where it starts. but where to start? pick a set of tvps I guess.

rd logic hubs and carriers.

integy rear carriers on rpm arms. the only integy piece I trust.

universal drive shafts front and rear, carbon bulk supports, both hpi option parts. the bulk plate was stripped of the purple and painted with high temp oil resistant rustoleum engine block paint, a refurb from the old 25.

rear bulk with hb supertec shock tower. I went with the older 25 bulks due to the gap left between the upper arm support when you use an old 25 shock tower and new X bulks. unfortunately the upper arm pin brace is hidden behind the bulk brace plate, it's carbon too.

hb option tvps for the 25. are they strong? idk but they look so good.

hb heavy duty engine plate heat sink.

the life of the party. LRP .30 Extreme RC Mods Extreme Modded motor with robinson racing products vented flywheel.

snack break. yes there are fingerprints on my truck.

hpi drive shaft universals all around.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

found some instructions...

these are hot bodies supertec carriers. the rd logic set would not fit on the rpm a arms. I did not want to grind down the rpm arms.

big bores with factory oil. using tony's screws mostly and some from the do-it-center to fill in some blanks. all metric machine thread.

rear

yum. ERCM big bore pipe.

where it sits now, minus pipe. still need to add the wheelie bar and get a new throttle servo. Haven't decided on a body yet, proline something I'm sure

working out the tire situation now. found some old super mudders in my reserves. was going to go with mashers before but now I'm not sure.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Looks kickass dude
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

This gallery has built my wishlist !! HPI dirt bones, shock towers, hubs, carriers, tvps! I need a 3rd job! Lucky to have you as my mechanic dude!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LLkoolskillet
Looks kickass dude
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by TadK
This gallery has built my wishlist !! HPI dirt bones, shock towers, hubs, carriers, tvps! I need a 3rd job! Lucky to have you as my mechanic dude!
lol thanks! It's been just over a year in the making, compiling parts for the build late at night. Nobody tells you about the ebay effect that comes with insomnia, you find that out after you have a big box full of parts! I was doing inventory the other night and had to sit down and have a talk with myself...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.