Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Before i get my new truck. >

Before i get my new truck.

Before i get my new truck.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Before i get my new truck.

Hello everyone.

I was ready to buy my new monster truck, I thought I was sure I knew what I wanted, the 2011 Savage x 4.6. I don't know if its such a good idea anymore. I did some reading and u see that a lot of people are having problems with the servo, front diff, bend dog bones.

Does anybody know if these issues have been resolved by HPI, or I should just save a little more for the Revo 3.3?

Thank you
Old 06-24-2011, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr.savage View Post
Hello everyone.

I was ready to buy my new monster truck, I thought I was sure I knew what I wanted, the 2011 Savage x 4.6. I don't know if its such a good idea anymore. I did some reading and u see that a lot of people are having problems with the servo, front diff, bend dog bones.

Does anybody know if these issues have been resolved by HPI, or I should just save a little more for the Revo 3.3?

Thank you
All stock rtr trucks are going to need things upgraded, gotta remember, they make em as cheap as possible and offer "upgrades" to promote sales and improve overall profits. Personally I think there are a couple better choices for rtr trucks out of the box(Im a big fan of the LST XXL)over the Ssavage. But it all depends on what you plan to do with it and how you want it to perform in reality. I chose a pair of LST XXL's due to the geometry, handling, and the quality of components it came with out of the box. I am also considering picking up a Revo 3.3, just not sure if I want to dump the money needed into it to make it perform the way I want. I race against em all the time, great handling vehicles and very fast, but they have trouble with handling large jumps cleanly due to the laydown F1 style suspension.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ntrain42 View Post
All stock rtr trucks are going to need things upgraded, gotta remember, they make em as cheap as possible and offer "upgrades" to promote sales and improve overall profits. Personally I think there are a couple better choices for rtr trucks out of the box(Im a big fan of the LST XXL)over the Ssavage. But it all depends on what you plan to do with it and how you want it to perform in reality. I chose a pair of LST XXL's due to the geometry, handling, and the quality of components it came with out of the box. I am also considering picking up a Revo 3.3, just not sure if I want to dump the money needed into it to make it perform the way I want. I race against em all the time, great handling vehicles and very fast, but they have trouble with handling large jumps cleanly due to the laydown F1 style suspension.
Thank you very much. I din't think about it that way. i'm going to look into the LST XXL. i was going for the savage due to the RC DRIVER magazine, they gave it great reviews. thank you again.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr.savage View Post
Thank you very much. I din't think about it that way. i'm going to look into the LST XXL. i was going for the savage due to the RC DRIVER magazine, they gave it great reviews. thank you again.
Any of these MT's can be made to be quite stout to be quite honest, but as of now the best bang for the dollar is the LST XXL. Comes with the nicest .28 mill and a real tuned pipe, nice spinstarter, a top flight 2.4gig radio in the Spektrum DX3S, and it is without question the best designed truck in terms of geometry,suspension(this especially) and ease to work on. And there are endless upgrade/hop ups for it. Needs very little to make it near bullitproof. Basically it handles like an oversized competition truggy on roids when set up correctly. Check out my ultimate XXL build thread if you want to get a good idea of all the hop ups available for it too.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

I love my losi xxl. I have over 4 gallons in mine ad have yet to break anything except for a front spindle due to driver error and a diff that losi forgot to shim right but they took care of it. I love this truck its so fast. Has so much power and handles like a dream and still haven't done much for upgrades. Get the xxl and don't look back
Old 06-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have a T-Maxx and love it. I also have a LST2 great truck as well.

ONe thing to remember about these magazines is that they will always so positive things. The manufactures pay them to be polite lol
Old 06-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Get the xxl, you won't regret it. IMO the best mt because it is one of the best handling, the best for jumping(bc of the shocks), by far the easiest to work on, has the toughest drivetrain, and you can beat the snot out of it and not break a thing with stock parts.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Mustang63 View Post
Get the xxl, you won't regret it. IMO the best mt because it is one of the best handling, the best for jumping(bc of the shocks), by far the easiest to work on, has the toughest drivetrain, and you can beat the snot out of it and not break a thing with stock parts.
Amen bro.. couldn't of said that better myself
Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Steering servo is definitely lacking, i changed the one on mine up to a SF-50 of of an XL. As far as the rest, the brand new one that was just released has updated diffs, and dogbones will bend depending on driving style of any vehicle. If you're still looking at the new savage, i'd get the 6v battery pack also aswell as the RPM skidplate, both are musts.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

go with the savage dude