Popping sound coming from Savage X?????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Popping sound coming from Savage X?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Popping sound coming from Savage X?????

So I picked up a Savage X that pretty much looked brand new for $100 off of craigslist the other. No RX/TX came with it which is fine because I have my own (DX3c and SR300s),but did hook up an extra that he had to try to get the truck running (I knew it wasn't before I went over). We put the roto start to it and it sounded like it wanted to but wouldn't. Sounded like it also had compression as well. The lines were bone dry and at the time I didn't know the trick about covering the end off the pipe. So I did that this morning and got the fuel going but it still wont start. When you run the roto start it makes a popping sound. Sounds like its coming from or echoing from the pipe. And of course never kicks over. I figure if I have to change the motor I still got an ok deal, but I would prefer the 4.6 in it work.
Any ideas as to whats going on? This nitro thing is still pretty new to me.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Tech Rookie

do you have a video of this? try giving it just a little bit of gas when cranking, i think what you may be hearing is it trying to fire but these savages seem to be cold blooded at times and can get hard to start if not tuned good enough

Depeding on the weather( from running it one day to another) i usually have to give it a little gas and "baby" it around till it gets some heat in the block or it usually dies, my spektrum usually reads around 150-160 at the head before it will run worry free( ie, i can walk away and not have to worry about it dieing)

Another thing i just thought of, is it may not have the idle gap set properly
Old 06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Tech Rookie

No video. I was almost thinking it was flooded. More of a muffled pop. And giving it gas doesn't help at all. I have to do the same thing with my MGT 4.6 to get her running good.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Rookie

does it sound like this?

(random youtube video, ignore idiots in it)

look up HPI Savage X 4.6 Starting a new engine on youtube, it will be the first result
Old 06-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Not so high pitched. I set it back to factory settings and then played around a bit with it. Had to turn up the idle, the low speed and the high speed needles. It ran for a few minutes and even did a few laps out front. it stalled and wont start back up. I know its not the glow plug because I took the one out of my MGT which I know works like a dream.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Yeah so played around with it for about 2 hours, slowly walking it in to tune. Had it running awesome and ran in to a small green power box breaking one of my shocks. But the good new, Its running perfect.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Rookie

so what wound up getting it running again?