Wiki Posts
Search

Project: Low Maintenance Savage Flux

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Project: Low Maintenance Savage Flux

I like many others wanted a badass monster truck and was torn between a brushless Emaxx, revo and savage flux and I decided to go with the flux due to the claims of durability. So far the reliability has been so-so, I have had two fairly decent wrecks and suffered a mechanical failure each time. The first time I was hauling butt down a road and a dog ran in front of the flux and forced me to head on a cement culvert resulting in the failure of the 18/23 drive gear in the transmission(Next time I will hit the dog)lol.
Heres the original cast gear. Not sure what its made out of, but it's the only gear in the trans thats not steel I guess to act as a fuse.

Replaced it with this steel gear, so tranny is all steel now.

The second issue I have had is the a arms snapping around the hinge pins. Like so.

I didn't feel like shelling out the $ for full rpm arms at the moment so I threw some zip ties around the hinge pin area around the a arm. The zip ties will try to slip under stress so i cut the keeper heads off some spare zip ties and added the extra keeper as back ups behind the original keeper and haven't had an issue with the again.

I also added the zip ties around the upper bumper supports to keep the upper hinge pins where they belong.

Another issue I was dealing with was spinning the hexes half way and the wheel nuts constantly loosening up. I jb welded the hexes in and they have been holding up well and put lock tite on the wheel nuts. I know the jb weld will eventually give and I will have to convert to a different style wheel mounts, but i am still pretty clueless when it comes to that area right now so hopefully they will hold up for a good while, meanwhile I can study up on what I will convert to. I was checking over the flux the other day and seen a few tiny scratches on the trans so I decided to rig up some kind of skid plate to cover my drive train. I found that the skid plate of a axial crawler fit the bill after I narrowed it 1/8" on each side and drilled and tapped the tvp for the skid mounting holes. It doesn't look like much, but it will take a hit and is easy to remove and weighs next to nothing.