Wiki Posts
Search

T-maxx Slippage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default T-maxx Slippage?

Ok the easy. I go into gear and the tmaxx pushes onward, brake to slow and it begins slipping. It continues to turn the big spur gear. Now im not an expert by any means, but im pretty sure there is suppose to be more than just the gear on the end where the gas engine turns the transmission.
That being said, when the spur stops spinning while the truck is stopped and i accelerate the spur begins turning again and it 'slips' back into drive until I stop it or powerover too much.
wth?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

ok i'm confused??? what Tmaxx do you have?
Old 04-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Tech Regular

2.5 tmaxx. just trying to figure out why when the truck slips until the spur gear stops spinning.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

could your slipper clutch be to loose?
Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Definately a slipper issue.

Try this:

1. Tighten the slipper nut ALL the way in.
2. Loosen up the nut by 1/2 a turn (180*).
3. While the truck is on the ground, hold the truck in place and try to turn the spur gear with your fingers. If it does not budge, loosen it up by 1/4 turn (90*).
4. Try to turn the spur gear again. If it doesn't budge, go another 1/4 turn.

It should take quite a bit to turn the spur gear, it should just barely be slipping. When you get to that point, then you should be all set.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wolf16731
Definately a slipper issue.

Try this:

1. Tighten the slipper nut ALL the way in.
2. Loosen up the nut by 1/2 a turn (180*).
3. While the truck is on the ground, hold the truck in place and try to turn the spur gear with your fingers. If it does not budge, loosen it up by 1/4 turn (90*).
4. Try to turn the spur gear again. If it doesn't budge, go another 1/4 turn.

It should take quite a bit to turn the spur gear, it should just barely be slipping. When you get to that point, then you should be all set.
that sounds like an interesting way to set up the slipper. i might do this on my t-maxx so you just hold the spur gear with your fingers then push the truck backwards and the slipper/spur should turn? if it dont, just keep loosening the slipper 1/4 turn at a time?
Old 04-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ckblood05
that sounds like an interesting way to set up the slipper. i might do this on my t-maxx so you just hold the spur gear with your fingers then push the truck backwards and the slipper/spur should turn? if it dont, just keep loosening the slipper 1/4 turn at a time?
No, hold the truck still and attempt to turn the slipper by hand. This simulates what will happen when your wheels are at a dead stop and you smash the gas on your truck. It should just barely slip.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:58 AM
Tech Elite

No, hold the truck still and attempt to turn the slipper by hand. This simulates what will happen when your wheels are at a dead stop and you smash the gas on your truck. It should just barely slip.
ok, i hold the truck in place and when i turn the spur gear, the truck tries to move forward. i keep trying to turn the spur gear, but i dont feel it slip. i only got my slipper like 1/4-1/2 turn loose from all the way tight.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

That should be fine. That just means that the slipper isn't completely locked, but it will be very limited in doing its job, especially being that if I remember right, you are using a T-Maxx as well. Last I knew, unless you bulletproof your tranny, the Maxx line doesn't really like that.

You want it to be at the point where its tight, but you can still get it to slip if you put a bit of force behind it. Your tranny will be much happier because of that, but it will be more difficult to do a wheelie if that is your thing.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

That should be fine. That just means that the slipper isn't completely locked, but it will be very limited in doing its job, especially being that if I remember right, you are using a T-Maxx as well. Last I knew, unless you bulletproof your tranny, the Maxx line doesn't really like that.

You want it to be at the point where its tight, but you can still get it to slip if you put a bit of force behind it. Your tranny will be much happier because of that, but it will be more difficult to do a wheelie if that is your thing.
well i didnt keep trying to turn the spur gear as much as i could. i was afraid something might break. yea, im running a 3.3 t-maxx. i heard if the slipper is to loose, you will wear out the friction pegs faster. no, i mean wheelies are cool, but im more about running and bashing around. and jumping. eventually i would like to get all robinson racing gears in the tranny and spur gears.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've tried that very same brand for spur gears on my Savage and I couldn't get the damn thing to work. It kept chewing out clutch bells like "Dr. Cox" does interns.. (Sorry got_nitro, I couldn't help myself!). I would just rather replace a $3 spur gear when it finally goes out than spend $12 on a clutch bell. Or worse, another metal spur... I have no idea how the internal gears are from Robinson Racing though..

The only thing I did like from them that I did personally use on my Savage (and still use), is the vented flywheel they have. I love that thing, even if it doesn't even work as advertised. I don't know if it works or not, never put a temp gun on the engine before I put it on and I really don't want to do a before and after test especially since I have no clue where the temp gun ran off to. I lose those things more often than I do screws or body clips for the rig itself! It's a curse..

Also, so long as you are good with throttle control, you really don't need to have the slipper clutch working most of the time. You really only need it in a full throttle speed run and your truck hits something and hops into the air, revs out to the redline, and lands again. That is worse than a full throttle bumrush from a stop. Thats why I only have mine slip marginally.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

I've tried that very same brand for spur gears on my Savage and I couldn't get the damn thing to work. It kept chewing out clutch bells like "Dr. Cox" does interns.. (Sorry got_nitro, I couldn't help myself!). I would just rather replace a $3 spur gear when it finally goes out than spend $12 on a clutch bell. Or worse, another metal spur... I have no idea how the internal gears are from Robinson Racing though..

The only thing I did like from them that I did personally use on my Savage (and still use), is the vented flywheel they have. I love that thing, even if it doesn't even work as advertised. I don't know if it works or not, never put a temp gun on the engine before I put it on and I really don't want to do a before and after test especially since I have no clue where the temp gun ran off to. I lose those things more often than I do screws or body clips for the rig itself! It's a curse..

Also, so long as you are good with throttle control, you really don't need to have the slipper clutch working most of the time. You really only need it in a full throttle speed run and your truck hits something and hops into the air, revs out to the redline, and lands again. That is worse than a full throttle bumrush from a stop. Thats why I only have mine slip marginally.
yea i might just stick with stock gears on the outside. i will leave the tranny ones alone also for now. maybe if they get stripped or damaged i might replace them with robinson racing. yea i was looking to get that vented flywheel. im still kinda learing how to drive the nitro compared to my vxl rustler. thats why im getting as much practice in my yard before i hit the track. but im getting pretty good.

sorry to hijack your thread segfault.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ckblood05
sorry to hijack your thread segfault.
Lol, Ive been watching the thread. Personally, I have figured out everything I can about these trannys by rebuilding them from scratch several times over the past few days. I have tons of parts and as such have managed to figure one thing out. These trannys suck with anything buy the forward only conversion. I also tighten the heck out of mine to barely slip and it seems to work well. I hit all kinds of crap including 30mph smashes into a curb and have yet to strip anything. I did however have plenty of issues with reversable transmissions up until I went with the simple forward only rebuild.
At any rate, not my thread. Its a community learning center.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

yea i got my slipper backed off 1/2 turn from tighten all the way. i got forward only tranny. my t-maxx is the 4908 model.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

instead of starting my own.. it is on the lines of this.. but if needed i will delete and start my own...

so i replaced my spur gear (tmaxx 2.5 with .28 big red).. put a 70T and 12 slipper pegs.. i tightened the nut all the way and backed off 1/8th turn.. had it 1/4 turn... and motor spins and spur spins... but truck doesnt move...
i just got this and when using it.. the old spur melted off.. just about all the way.. so now replacing spur i dont think the slipper is locking up. i do not know how this whole thing work so trying to determine that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.