Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
looking to buy a new rc soon what should i do? >

looking to buy a new rc soon what should i do?

looking to buy a new rc soon what should i do?

Old 03-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Rookie

I've owned a T-Maxx, Revo 3.3, Savage X 4.6 and now a Losi XXL.

Simply put, the Losi XXL is the best bang for the buck. The radio system is impressive as well as the handling of this truck. I would say it has close to the same handling as my Revo but the durability of my Savage.

Stock, the springs are way to soft for bashing. I installed a set of RC Raven springs and it made a huge difference. The truck sets up higher in the stroke, but not so high that it makes the truck feel tipsy, like with the Savage. It can soak up the big jumps with ease. I've been somewhat reserved with it so far, as I really want to get a New Era roll bar on it before I go crazy doing backflips and such.. but I've been launching it about 10 or so feet high and landing flat with no problems. Even the few times I messed up the landing the truck had no breakage anywhere.

The engine is also great. Truck does not wheelie like my savage X, but probably wheelies just as good if not better than the stock XL, while being much faster and more reliable. Put it this way, the truck doesn't wheelie due to being so short, it wheelies because it has so much freakin power.

I really liked my Revo but that was after I sank a lot of money into it in order to make it a reliable basher. The Savage was mostly left stock. I went through a bunch of stock shocks and a few A-arms. Servos were junky. TVP's bent, turn buckles constantly popped off, drive shafts ate up drive cups, drive shafts broke multiple times. I was hard on the Savage, very hard. But so far it just seems as though the Losi XXL is going to hold up much better. The Savage XL is upgraded compared to the X.. but still not sure if it'd be on the same level as the Losi.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bash323
I've owned a T-Maxx, Revo 3.3, Savage X 4.6 and now a Losi XXL.

Simply put, the Losi XXL is the best bang for the buck. The radio system is impressive as well as the handling of this truck. I would say it has close to the same handling as my Revo but the durability of my Savage.

Stock, the springs are way to soft for bashing. I installed a set of RC Raven springs and it made a huge difference. The truck sets up higher in the stroke, but not so high that it makes the truck feel tipsy, like with the Savage. It can soak up the big jumps with ease. I've been somewhat reserved with it so far, as I really want to get a New Era roll bar on it before I go crazy doing backflips and such.. but I've been launching it about 10 or so feet high and landing flat with no problems. Even the few times I messed up the landing the truck had no breakage anywhere.

The engine is also great. Truck does not wheelie like my savage X, but probably wheelies just as good if not better than the stock XL, while being much faster and more reliable. Put it this way, the truck doesn't wheelie due to being so short, it wheelies because it has so much freakin power.

I really liked my Revo but that was after I sank a lot of money into it in order to make it a reliable basher. The Savage was mostly left stock. I went through a bunch of stock shocks and a few A-arms. Servos were junky. TVP's bent, turn buckles constantly popped off, drive shafts ate up drive cups, drive shafts broke multiple times. I was hard on the Savage, very hard. But so far it just seems as though the Losi XXL is going to hold up much better. The Savage XL is upgraded compared to the X.. but still not sure if it'd be on the same level as the Losi.
With the 454 you can get the truck to wheelie with a pinion gear swap out. The engine needs to be broken in first. The XXL has a really long and low wheelbase/COG so pulling off wheelies is harder with the stock engine/gearing. With a Picco or LRP .30 spec2 or X though it will wheelie on command. The 454 is designed for a very strong and wide MIDRANGE powerband. But the Picco and LRP .30's have alot more low end punch.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shizcol
i just cant wait to get what i decide to get lol.. i was messing with my savage x earlier and i cant wait to run it.. but still a lil more work.. minor things tho.. but its coming
Dude, u already have a Savage, do yourself a big favor and grab an XXL. You will then have 2 different MT's to play with and compare. I can almost garentee, that Savage will end up collecting dust and take up "garage queen" status while your having a blast with that XXL. Again the what you get per dollar with the XXL is a bang for the buck HPI just can't match.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

well i gave my x to my wife and i have so many parts so might as well buy something i can use the parts on. the xxl just doesnt seem to interest me as much of the savage. iguess id have to see one in person
Old 03-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

i guess i dont like the tranny setup. the one way in the tranny is what i hated with my lst and i been reading alot of guys having the same problem with the xxl. but thats not all i been hearing about them.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

i guess i dont like the tranny setup. the one way in the tranny is what i hated with my lst and i been reading alot of guys having the same problem with the xxl. but thats not all i been hearing about them.
THe one way in the tranny? WHat are you talking about? The LST and LST2 have a different transmission from the XXL.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

i guess the oneway in the spurgear assmbly? i dunno just what i been reading? maybe im wrong maybe it was a different thread but ive heard about it more then once and from more then one site.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

yea just found it again. the oneway in the 2 speed is common to let go. thats what i was referring to. i guess i should of explained it better
Old 03-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

yea just found it again. the oneway in the 2 speed is common to let go. thats what i was referring to. i guess i should of explained it better
Not common at all, but it can be worn out when the slipper is set too tight. What is common is that too many people try to crank down the slipper thinking they will launch the truck harder and allow it to accelerate faster. People who do BL conversions especially. I have about 8 gallons now through one transmission, not a bit of wear through it, and its raced very hard. Lot of WOT use. 99% of the issues Ive seen on drivetrain issues with the XXL all center around setting the slipper clutch assembly too tight.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

No shit 8 gallons wow how's the engine holding up? Does the xxl have any issues with the reverse I've always hated having reverse on my revos or tmaxxs they never work right and seemed to slow it down
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

No shit 8 gallons wow how's the engine holding up? Does the xxl have any issues with the reverse I've always hated having reverse on my revos or tmaxxs they never work right and seemed to slow it down
I have the FOC on my racer, no reverse. My basher on the other hand does have reverse, but its rarely used. Key with reverse LASTING is to make sure ur truck comes to a full STOP before switching over. Its that simple.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

Ok so ntrain u convinced me. I have decided to go with the losi lst xxl. All u guys have been a big help especially ntrain, who has worked long hrs of trying to convince me to get one. Looks like I may just found the deal of a lifetime