Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-MAXX for a steal; Engine question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? T-MAXX for a steal; Engine question

I bought an older T-MAXX and Rustler for a pretty good steal.

The T-Maxx has a locked up engine and I am looking to replace it but I would like to keep the EZ start.

My question is, Can I buy pretty much any engine and put the stock EZ start on it? or how does that work?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

OS .21TM
Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrHappy
I bought an older T-MAXX and Rustler for a pretty good steal.

The T-Maxx has a locked up engine and I am looking to replace it but I would like to keep the EZ start.

My question is, Can I buy pretty much any engine and put the stock EZ start on it? or how does that work?
Nope, the only engines it will bolt up to and work properly are the stock 3.3, stock 2.5, OS.18TM (if you can find one), OS.21TM, Dynamite .19 (Picco .26 Red dot, Picco .26 max need BB engine mount for these)

That should be about it, I might be missing one maybe.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Initiate

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tart-Backplate

found this one.

dont mean to stound stupid but what is a BB engine mount?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Initiate

"Big Block" right..?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Initiate

ok.. Keep in mind that i am fairly new to the Nirto world.

for the .26 engine, what clutch would i use? Also.. it says it will use the stock pipe and manifold but it has a .15 engine and it has the side manifole so thats not going to work..

any thoughts?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

ok.. Keep in mind that i am fairly new to the Nirto world.

for the .26 engine, what clutch would i use? Also.. it says it will use the stock pipe and manifold but it has a .15 engine and it has the side manifole so thats not going to work..

any thoughts?
I got lots of thoughts but nothing to keep in mind.

Stock clutch is fine, inverted if you want it to grab harder. The exhaust port on the Piccos mentioned are the same size as a 2.5(1.5) or a 3.3. They are not considered "big blocks" but they share a BB mounting and displacment, just a smaller exhaust port. The THS header and pipe combo for any one of these mills makes kill power.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah that's your best bet....for an engine. You'll need driveline parts for an "older maxx". I guess it depends if you have the 3.3 or an old 2.5. Even the 3.3 shafts will break fairly quick.

I wouldn't invert the stock clutch, it will also break if used that way. A good inexpensive solution would be the dynamite 2 shoe aluminum clutch.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by got_nitro
I got lots of thoughts but nothing to keep in mind.

Stock clutch is fine, inverted if you want it to grab harder. The exhaust port on the Piccos mentioned are the same size as a 2.5(1.5) or a 3.3. They are not considered "big blocks" but they share a BB mounting and displacment, just a smaller exhaust port. The THS header and pipe combo for any one of these mills makes kill power.
ok i guess what i meant to say was the manifold. This engine has a rear exhaust port and the 2.5 has one that came from the right sife. so i guess i need one in the shape of a "C".

I really dont mean to be annoying with all the questions. Im in Japan so Ordering parts and recieving them takes about 3 weeks. I would like to get it all in one shot.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 AM
Tech Regular

ok i guess what i meant to say was the manifold. This engine has a rear exhaust port and the 2.5 has one that came from the right sife. so i guess i need one in the shape of a "C".

I really dont mean to be annoying with all the questions. Im in Japan so Ordering parts and recieving them takes about 3 weeks. I would like to get it all in one shot.
You'll need a kit to convert your maxx then. Traxxas has it, it's a pro .15 (rotary carb) to rear exhaust (slide carb)or something like that. I have to go to work now or else I'd get you a link to traxxas's site for that kit.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by trxnut454
You'll need a kit to convert your maxx then. Traxxas has it, it's a pro .15 (rotary carb) to rear exhaust (slide carb)or something like that. I have to go to work now or else I'd get you a link to traxxas's site for that kit.
Traxxas T-Maxx Pro.15 - TRX 2.5 Upgrade Kit http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...25-Upgrade-Kit
something like that?
Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok help me out. This is the parts list Im thinking i will need. Someone speak up is im missing something.

1 x Traxxas Center CV Drive shafts (2)
1 x RCScrewz Traxxas T-Maxx 2.5R Stainless...
1 x OFNA 1/8 Off Road Two Stage Air Filter...
1 x Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 ProGraphix Body
1 x Traxxas T-Maxx Pro.15 - TRX 2.5 Upgrade Kit
1 x Dynamite Max-Life Traxxas Clutch Shoe/...
1 x Traxxas Torque Control Upgrade Kit
1 x OFNA .26MAX Engine Mount (T-Maxx)
1 x OFNA Picco .26MAX Nitro Monster Truck ...
1 x Traxxas Super-Duty Long Glow Plug
Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Ok help me out. This is the parts list Im thinking i will need. Someone speak up is im missing something.

1 x Traxxas Center CV Drive shafts (2)
1 x RCScrewz Traxxas T-Maxx 2.5R Stainless...
1 x OFNA 1/8 Off Road Two Stage Air Filter...
1 x Traxxas T-Maxx 3.3 ProGraphix Body
1 x Traxxas T-Maxx Pro.15 - TRX 2.5 Upgrade Kit
1 x Dynamite Max-Life Traxxas Clutch Shoe/...
1 x Traxxas Torque Control Upgrade Kit
1 x OFNA .26MAX Engine Mount (T-Maxx)
1 x OFNA Picco .26MAX Nitro Monster Truck ...
1 x Traxxas Super-Duty Long Glow Plug

I know everyone enjoys building and working on RC trucks INC myself. That sounds like a nice expensive project you have put together right here.

You have enough listed right here to just about pruchase a brand new one or even a Savage. Weigh your options before you pull the trigger on anything. To use the power out of that picco to where it's not such a torque monster, you will need to put a few different spur gears and clutch bells on that order to try out too.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by got_nitro
I know everyone enjoys building and working on RC trucks INC myself. That sounds like a nice expensive project you have put together right here.

You have enough listed right here to just about pruchase a brand new one or even a Savage. Weigh your options before you pull the trigger on anything. To use the power out of that picco to where it's not such a torque monster, you will need to put a few different spur gears and clutch bells on that order to try out too.
yeah i got a little crazy... i can get this thing running for about 1/3rd of what all that would cost. I changed out the .26 for a .19 and that saved me about $100 just from the engine.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

In one of my T-Maxxes I have the Sirio .27 midblock kit...You can use the Traxxas ez-starter with it....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.