Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree204Likes

SAVAGE - SS, .25, .21 Official Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

the one with six even sized holes is quite punchy with 3 hard springs with a .21 in buggy excited to get it on the track
Old 05-13-2020, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HaulinBass
the one with six even sized holes is quite punchy with 3 hard springs with a .21 in buggy excited to get it on the track
Interesting stuff. Did you weigh your clutch shoes before and after? Does drilling the shoes like this present any balancing issues or vibrations that you could notice?

Keep us posted. 👍
Old 05-23-2020, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Anyone have expertise with the os 30vg engine ? Just picked up an xl and has this motor brand new never mounted
Old 05-24-2020, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rrb1399
Anyone have expertise with the os 30vg engine ? Just picked up an xl and has this motor brand new never mounted
Hi, I used OS .21 VZB size competition engines in 1/8th Buggy for a time. I think the general consensus with OS is that they make quality components, but their ABN (or ABL) liners are known to peel.

The recommendations are to use fuel with higher oil percentage and keep temps <240F.

I run the OS carb on my STS.30 👍
rrb1399 likes this.

Last edited by Horatio; 05-24-2020 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:12 AM
Tech Champion

Depends what you could sell it for.. If not enough to get near an LRP 32 or whatever, I'd just run it.. But yeah, I seem to recall always hearing mixed things about them... Horatio's advice sounds good. I remember seeing some decent clips of them like well over 10 years ago, but iirc I read a lot back then about how they didn't last very long..
Old 05-24-2020, 02:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Horatio
Here's a picture of the fuel bottle issues I've been having.

The same break pattern on both lids.
The retailer has had numerous customers with the same issue, so this picture has now been sent to the supplier. Apparently, the supplier is going to sort things for me.

I was rather hoping I'd get a credit note with the retailer, but I think the supplier is going to send me yet another Racer's Edge Fuel bottle... It will be the revised type with the thread on the inside of the neck - like the Mugen and Hudy bottles.
The distributor of Racer's Edge Fuel bottles in the UK decided not to cooperate, despite the fact that the lids are made of butter. Avoid these!

Thankfully, the retailer, MB Models, did a really good of making things good, by discounting a Savox servo for the Baja 5B. So shout out for them.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

well wear has significantly been increased from the holes ive drilled, the clutches run great but at about 1/2 gallon through two clutches they are about 1/3rd worn. I expected them to wear faster due to slippage, one set wore a little funny but i ended up killing the outer clutch bearing somehow on that one Im assuming that was the culprit. i was even running a ONroad GT .21 in my truggy and never noticed a lack of bottom end or punch. i think most of the this clutch kills bottom end comes from when the cars, wheels and tires we ran were all significantly heavier. Also two of the main guys saying that are friends from the same city and tend to think anything that isnt tuned for all out power sucks, Nick and neal are freaking awesome guys just have strong opinions on things.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:10 PM
Tech Champion

I had the same experience though, and I was certainly never out to agree - or disagree - with anybody. That was just my experience. I was all about performance, obviously..., but also having as little maintenance as possible - and for that the Fioroni was great. I loved the Fioroni clutch on my 28s and Mach 427s in my Muggy, various truggies, a buggy, etc.. But when I put it on a Picco 21 in truggy it just seemed to kill it. I mean that was years ago and I didn't experiment around much, but that was definitely my impression back then. Then I just started buying Mugen alu clutches from chop shops, which I got cheaply enough, and afaic that was a good route. Good bite from the clutches, and cheap enough to throw away after they got too worn down...

Later I started getting Reckward Speed 2.5 carbon clutches, and they were the ideal solution in truggy and buggy. Had the bite of a good normal clutch, but lasted a long time so the maintenance was low..

I've got like 10 brand new clutches in my clutch box...
Horatio likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

To be fair, I've never run the Turbo Slider on a .21, so I'm really not qualified to comment. I know that the sliders have 2-4 times more surface area (compared to regular 3 & 4 shoe alloy clutch shoes). I suppose by drilling them, you're making them lighter, which makes the shoes more inclined to engage later (higher up the engine's power/torque curve) AND you're reducing the surface area of the clutch, which makes it more inclined to slip (rather than bog). Slipping will increase heat/wear and wear out bearings faster.

My only concern with drilling out shoes is the precision required to ensure that they remain perfectly balanced. Vibration will kill bearings quickly too - not just the clutchbell bearings, but the front and main bearings on your engine too. 😱
​​​
Old 05-26-2020, 03:56 AM
Tech Champion

It's true that I never did mess with springs.. I just put it on and ran it..
I had gallons and gallons on them though in my Muggy and Hyper ST Pro.. God that was forever ago ha ha...

Pretty sure this had the Fioroni in it.. (The Muggy was notoriously hard on clutch bell bearings and clutches.. With the Fioroni it was set and forget...)

Horatio likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

That thing is screaming with you - good tune and 'on the pipe' - right on the money. 👍

Certainly doesn't look like it's lacking clutch at all. Is that footage with the Fioroni?
Old 05-26-2020, 06:09 AM
Tech Champion

I think so. Didn’t say in the description.. Back then there was a lot of talk about chassis flex killing clutches with the Muggy. Which is why I got the Fioroni in the first place..
Horatio likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Quick question how do I remote the break adapter from the tranny I removed the set screw but it won’t budge is there something I’m missing also does the tranny get any lube or diff oil in it ?
Old 05-26-2020, 11:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rrb1399
Quick question how do I remote the break adapter from the tranny I removed the set screw but it won’t budge is there something I’m missing also does the tranny get any lube or diff oil in it ?

The brake adaptor/hex has an insert and a pin that goes through both. Once the pin is removed, just 'pursuade' it off - lever it off, carefully.

The gears inside the transmission require black grease or graphite grease, lightly applied. As there is no centre diff, you don't have to worry about silicone grease or what weight to choose.

Ensure the bearings are healthy - they should be greased or oiled too.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Horatio

The brake adaptor/hex has an insert and a pin that goes through both. Once the pin is removed, just 'pursuade' it off - lever it off, carefully.

The gears inside the transmission require black grease or graphite grease, lightly applied. As there is no centre diff, you don't have to worry about silicone grease or what weight to choose.

Ensure the bearings are healthy - they should be greased or oiled too.
would white lithium grease be good and just a lite coating ?
got the hex off but the new one has different size screw hole so back to original

progress so far
Horatio likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.