Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
SAVAGE - SS, .25, .21 Official Thread! >

SAVAGE - SS, .25, .21 Official Thread!

Like Tree194Likes

SAVAGE - SS, .25, .21 Official Thread!

Old 04-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mikedoo3 View Post
The savage is the best truck of all time if you ask me. Mine is the savage SS kit from 2003 or so. That kit was so fun to build and the truck was an absolute blast. I'm on my third engine I think. Haven't run it in a few years now. HPI was awesome 20 years ago, I always hated seeing their decline over the years.

I have this filter https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/87198
It has an inner and outer foam, I'm just not sure what will fit.
I'll take a look at what amain has and see if any look similar I guess. I'm just worried about getting foams that are too short or the inner foam hole isn't big enough.
Mine started out as an SS! It was a better deal, with better parts and NS 25 engine. The build was awesome and it was a great platform to modify and upgrade for racing or bashing. For me, it was a race rig. Even with the original chassis, I had a great deal of fun and race results, up against regional and national level drivers around 15 years ago!

Regards foam filters - they're usually very similar size-wise. I'm pretty certain that regular truggy filters will be fine - just invest in a good pair of scissors and trim to suit! 👍✂️
Old 04-29-2020, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mikedoo3 View Post
The savage is the best truck of all time if you ask me. Mine is the savage SS kit from 2003 or so. That kit was so fun to build and the truck was an absolute blast. I'm on my third engine I think. Haven't run it in a few years now. HPI was awesome 20 years ago, I always hated seeing their decline over the years.

I have this filter https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/87198
It has an inner and outer foam, I'm just not sure what will fit.
I'll take a look at what amain has and see if any look similar I guess. I'm just worried about getting foams that are too short or the inner foam hole isn't big enough.
i have that same filter, i know for my other rigs i bought losi 8ight air filter elements, (came in like a pack of 3 or 4), i will try to test fit see if it will work for that filter mount tonight.
if it does work its pretty handy as the inner filter is about the same size as my 1/10 filters, just a bit longer, so i cut them down to fit. 2 birds one stone so to speak.
if it is too loose on there, check out dynamite 1/8 filter assembly
Amazon Amazon
i beleive you can swap out the black tube from the HPI piece, and use the HPI black tube, and just the dynamite filter assembly itself.
Old 04-29-2020, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

The HPI Airfilter is still available in the UK, albeit on back order til 1st May 🤔 So that's kinda good news.

HPI have been bought out by a European hobby company, so all is not lost. HPI were done irreparable damage by 'Traxass' suing them over use of a 'waterproof box', then settling out of court (note: the court didn't find anything in favour of Traxxas - it's just that HPI didn't have the bank to pay lawyers for a long and protracted legal battle).

Traxass used the exact same tactic to sue Arrma (Hobbico?) over Arrma's pivot suspension - claiming that people may be buying the Nero 6S thinking that they were buying a Revo... Thankfully, Horizon bought Arrma, otherwise they'd be toast.

Couple of points - waterproof boxes were in use with RC cars long before Traxass even existed. Pivot, lay down shock suspension were in use on RC cars long before Traxass existed. The swines!

It's a shame that makers of average RC cars have to use such dirty tactics to destroy makers of exceptional RC cars. Not good for the market place, consumers or healthy competition, innovation and the world of RC generally.

Lots of people boycott Traxass in principle. Hopefully, HPI, Arrma and numerous other RC car manufacturers will collaborate and stop Traxass from getting everything their own way.

You'd swear Traxass invented the wheel! Shame on them 🤬
Old 04-29-2020, 12:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Horatio View Post

You'd swear Traxass invented the wheel! Shame on them 🤬
careful... dont give them ideas...
Horatio likes this.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snowman49 View Post
careful... dont give them ideas...
You're right!
Old 04-29-2020, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

OK, so the STS decided that it didn't want to run properly - specifically, it refused to idle no matter what I tried. It revved fine and ran at speed, no worries. As soon as I let the revs drop - stalled.

Initially, I thought carb. Then, I could feel what I thought was a really gritty, knackered front/main bearing.

Turns out, the bearings are actually fine. ​​​​​The gritty feel was actually an issue with the rotostart backplate, now sorted.

The idle issue was to do with the carb. The STS carb could get sticky, so at some point, the carb will be stripped and made good. In the meantime, the OS carb was used. In fairness, it's a better carb.

The clutch - still mint after all these years!

Gumming at bottom of crankcase

Sleeve has good pinch and chrome is all good

Tarnish shows years of use on 5 port sleeve

Crank is in good order with a little gumming

Reassembly following cleaning of all parts

OS carb next to STS

Backplate and one way needed servicing

Clutch was given a clean, degrease and lightly sanded to remove any glaze, carb fitted

Engine ready to go...

After fitting back in the truck and firing up, the only thing required was a quick adjustment of the needles. Throttling is great and tickover simply rock solid with this carb. The STS carb was not a bad bit of kit by any stretch, but this OS item is just so silky smooth and well engineered. It's pretty rare you see metal bodied carbs in this day and age, so it's certainly different! Last time this saw use was on an OS. 21 VZB V Spec in an MBX4 RR buggy!

Tomorrow, I'll strip the STS carb and see what's gone wrong with it. It may just be debris or a perished o-ring. Guess we'll see.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

your clutch shoe is upside down
Old 04-30-2020, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
your clutch shoe is upside down
On one side, the groove has room for 2 springs. The other has a groove for 1 spring. I use 2 springs, 1 each side.

Deeper side

Shallow side

The footprint and action of the shoes is symmetrical and Fioroni don't actually specify that there is an upside or a downside. The shoes with springs just slide over the nut. The shoes operate exactly the same either way round and as you can see, last forever. 👍
Old 04-30-2020, 02:19 AM
Tech Elite

Fioroni Turbo Slider PDF

Old 04-30-2020, 02:40 AM
Tech Champion

Those Fioronis are awesome clutches.. Used to have a few of them. Probably still do somewhere...
Horatio likes this.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:22 AM
Tech Elite

I've not had much luck with fuel bottles in the past couple of months. It's never normally been something I've given much thought to, but once I built the XT8 and revived the Savage, I bought a Racer's Edge 500ml bottle. Pretty standard, squeezy plastic bottle, aluminium tube with a bend and a rubber cap. The lid screws onto the neck - the neck has threads around the outside.

The lid cracked - I didn't see it happen, just discovered it broken and assumed maybe someone had trodden on it or something in the garage. So I bought a second one, exactly the same, reasoning being that it would be useful to interchange the bottles, tubes and rubber caps.

On filling up the bottle, as I put the spout into the fuel, I saw the lid crack straight away on the new one. FFS!

I notice now on the Racer's Edge bottles, the necks are threaded on the inside. The ones I bought must have been the last ones! Lol.

So, I got a Hudy one now. Hopefully I can make this one last longer than 35 seconds!
Old 04-30-2020, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Those Fioronis are awesome clutches.. Used to have a few of them. Probably still do somewhere...
I have no intention of using anything else for any Nitro powered car. They're simple, have the largest surface area of any clutch, the longest life, the easiest to work on, develop the least amount of heat, produce virtually no dust, give the best bearing life and the performance is as good or better than anything else I've used.

I know that top racers don't use them in 2020, but that's not because they don't perform. People have to use critical thinking and use what works well for them.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

Agreed on all of the above. Set and forget...

BTW, I've also had bad luck with fuel bottles the last couple of years. Granted, I haven't been using them often. But the last couple I bought (Traxxas and Venom), did not last at all... Robitronic ones generally seem pretty good... Need a new one me-self...
Horatio likes this.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

look at the bottom where the shoe sits in the flywheel, it is beveled on the flywheel, the shoe is flat on one side and beveled on the other. you have the beveled side up.it will still work the shoe just wont sit flat on the flywheel and could cause some binding. its also why your shoes appear to be not sitting flat against your flywheel in the first picture
Old 04-30-2020, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Agreed on all of the above. Set and forget...

BTW, I've also had bad luck with fuel bottles the last couple of years. Granted, I haven't been using them often. But the last couple I bought (Traxxas and Venom), did not last at all... Robitronic ones generally seem pretty good... Need a new one me-self...
Strange isn't it? There was a time you could pick up a 2.99 fuel bottle and it would last for years!

Over the past couple of months, I've blown about 20 on Racer's Edge bottles, and another 15 on this Hudy. I should really take a picture of them and ask for a refund. They were crap!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.