Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Project: Traxxas Zero (true 1/10th revoflux) >

Project: Traxxas Zero (true 1/10th revoflux)

Project: Traxxas Zero (true 1/10th revoflux)

Old 02-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Project: Traxxas Zero (true 1/10th revoflux)

Project: Traxxas Zero
The ultimate true 1/10th basher

The traxxas stampede 4x4 came out a few months after I came up with this idea.. but I feel like the Stampede 4x4 made by Traxxas is too weak and doesn't have a TVP chassis our laydown suspension. My project will end up being slightly longer and wider then the Traxxas Stampede 4x4. I want this thing to be exetremly durable... skatepark durable, Bmx track durable, huge jump durable.

My goal: To build the Ultimate One-battery, One motor, true 1/10th scale electric basher.

Features I look to put into the project:

Built like a Tank
4wd
Custom TVP Chassis
Center Differential
Laydown suspension
High ground clearance
Long suspension travel
Inexpensive
Electric
Gear Diffs
Strong a-arms/hub carriers
Roll cage
2.8 wheels/tires
Accommodate 7.4v or 11.1v lipo
Defies Gravity
Stampede stance and look

My starting point...my Traxxas Evo8 project... I have no where to race it so I'm turning it into this project.

Updates to come.

Last edited by eds24; 03-05-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Man, you're always cooking something up. Can't wait to see this one.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Haha yea that's very true always got a project planned.

Last night I disassembled the buggy and took all the parts that I will be using for this project. I then went thru and cleaned all the parts. This project is ofcourse going to end getting dirty but it has to be clean for the finished pictures.. plus, I don't like working with dirty parts.

The Slayer a-arms will probably be replaced with Slayer Pro a-arms and the rear hubs will probably be replaced with Rpm hubs.

I layed out partial front and rear ends to get a idea of how long its going to be .. and how everything is going to be layed out. Ofcourse the center diff and motor and all that are going to be raised up from the position that they are at in the pictures since its a monster truck.

Here is my list of stuff to get...

1/4" lexan or 1/8" 6061-T6 aluminum for chassis
Traxxas Updated slayer a-arms
Losi High Roller Body
Dust boots
2.8 Badland or Trencher Tires
Rpm revo hub carriers
Rpm Front/Rear bumpers
Rpm Front/Rear bumper mounts
Traxxas front/rear body mounts
Ace 5000mah 3s lipo
Reciever

I have the esc and servo. And the motor is shipping out monday.. I will show you guys what motor I'm going to be using once it comes.

Last edited by eds24; 02-25-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

I recieved the motor today. I'm a bit worried it might not be the right motor for this application.. its a Speed Passion Silver Arrow motor. Diameter is 36mm and length is 63mm. Its 3214kv. Its a short course motor

I picked it up used for $40 shipped. I'm going to be using 3s. What I'm worried about is that I have a feeling this truck will be pretty heavy..especially if I use aluminum Tvp's. I'm not sure whether or not the Kv is too high. I'm shooting for around 40-45mph. I'm worried that the motor will get too hot or won't have enough torque. What do you guys think??

Heres a picture of it by itself and also a picture compared to a mamba 5700 and a Feigao 8XL.

I'm going to actually start building the truck today. I'm going to try and get the bottom chassis plates/skid plates done and maybe even the top ones. Who knows we will see how far I get.

Last edited by eds24; 02-25-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

Unfortunatly, I have to switch my concentration back to a custom 2wd buggy I just finished..I recently became a "project' contributing editor for RcDriver magazine and so they want me to send it to them for pictures and have me write an article about it. Currently its fully disassembled and requires some new parts..Sooo I'm going to have to work on that for the next week or so. I'm sorry.

but, I did receive the wheels and bodies for this truck.
I decided to go with a Losi High Roller body becuase it is meant to fit on trucks with a 11.5"-12" wheelbase. I feel like the Stampede 4x4 is alittle bit too short so this body was the perfect size. Usually these bodies are $30 brand new.. $16.87 +$10.00 shipping...if you buy two then its about $33+$10.00 shipping .. Considering that means these are almost half price I decided to buy too since I'm sure they won't last very long..and the 1/10th High Roller has disappeared from Losi's website so who knows how much longer these bodies will be around.

I decided to go with Imex Eagle Black Jato 2.8 rear wheels. I saw a picture of these with Badlands on them and they looked pretty sick.

I mocked it up to get a feeling of how this beast is going end up looking.

Last edited by eds24; 03-05-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

Bummer to see evo8 removed from the picture but i can see why you did it...

Subscribed here since URC hasnt shown the thread yet!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

After a 4 month hiatus from this project.. I have made it my top priority project again there are just too many awesome bashing spots around here to not take advantage of them before winter comes...so updates will be coming soon.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Tech Adept

Sweet EDS! keep up the good work!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

no where to race! There are 4 soon to be 5 excellent tracks in colorado!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

looking forward to updates
Old 07-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Muggy: A lot of the tracks are somewhat far from me...I'm in the centennial area..and when I finished that project electric 1/8th seemed pretty dead.

The past couple of days I have been working on the lower skid plates. I have been cutting them out of 1/8" 6061-T6 aluminum with my hand-held jigsaw. Today, after an hour of filing and drilling I finished the front skid-plate. I also mounted the steering rack to the skid-plate. I'm duties a Team Associated Rc8 steering rack to take care of the steering duties.

Tomorrow I will finish the rear skid plate and have pictures of that one up also but for now here are a couple of pictures of the front to prove that I am actually making progress!

Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

wow... good luck man. cant wait to see how it ends up
Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Master

Not a whole lot of excitement today... but I did finish the rear skid plate. I made sure to bend it so that it provided rear kick up like the Revo/Slayer. I cut both the front and rear skid plates to be a bit longer then they will end out being. I'm not sure exactly how long they needed to be so I made them longer just be safe.

Next I will be working on the upper chassis plates and also the braces which will connect the skid plates to the upper chassis's These are also the pieces where the main twin vertical plates will connect to the front and rear of the truck.

I ordered another sheet of 6061 1/8" Aluminum plate from ebay for the main chassis plates. I will start drawing the design for those also very soon. I have a feeling that this truck is going to be a pig.

I'm getting excited about this build..and after experiencing a time of having no motivation to work on my projects...it's nice.

Last edited by eds24; 07-22-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Another small some what boring update for today...

I got the front upper chassis cut out and filed. This part reminded me about how much work making custom cars really is..The part didn't take long to cut out..but it took a couple hours to file it down to get it fit right. I also had a hard time bending the piece to accomodate for the front kick-up. I resorted to sandwiching the piece between two 2x4's and crouching on top of the top 2x4. Then I pulled with all my strength upward to achieve the bend.

Today my piece of 1/8" 6061-T6 aluminum for the main chassis plates came. Its 12" x 24" and I have a feeling it will last me awhile.

Tomorrow I'm having a dental implant done..so not sure if I'll be up for doing any work but tomorrow or Saturday I will finish the rear upper chassis plate and also post pictures of that one. Hopefully soon I will be able to start providing more interesting updates : )

Last edited by eds24; 07-23-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Tech Master

Well....today no progress was made becuase of me feeling under the weather after the dental implant. BUT as a reward for making it through the process of someone drilling a screw into my mouth I decided I should order most of the parts needed to complete this project.

I also ordered some 2.8" Proline Badlands. Unfortunately, now that Proline has started making tires to fit Traxxas wheels they have discontinued the tires that fit there wheels. I purchased some Imex Jato wheels awhile ago for this project and they don't have the same bead type as the Traxxas wheels. So I had to hunt down some of the old Badland tires. Everywhere I looked either didn't have them or only had one pair! So I ended up having to buy one pair from one place and the other pair from another! I also ordered some Rpm revo hubs for the rear to match the Rpm hubs which I have for the front.

Perhaps, tomorrow I will be able to get back to work on this but no promises.

Last edited by eds24; 07-27-2011 at 10:01 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.