Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
revo 3.3 tire question? >

revo 3.3 tire question?

revo 3.3 tire question?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
  #1  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: barrie
Posts: 32
Default revo 3.3 tire question?

Hi,

I bought a revo 3.3 used and I just want to practice. I'm gonna be driving it in the snow.
My question is the tires that came on it are not stock (neither are the rims), they look to big for my truck, will this put too much stress on the suspension?
I'm gonna try and post pics but it usually doesn't work.
I'm also putting chains on the tires too.

Thank you Tori
Attached Thumbnails revo 3.3 tire question?-img_1260.jpg  
rctori is offline  
Old 01-04-2011, 07:06 PM
  #2  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: barrie
Posts: 32
Default

Here is another pic... I'm still new to this lol
Attached Thumbnails revo 3.3 tire question?-img_1261.jpg  
rctori is offline  
Old 01-04-2011, 07:57 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rctori View Post
My question is the tires that came on it are not stock (neither are the rims), they look to big for my truck, will this put too much stress on the suspension?

Suspension, Yes. Rod ends, if you go off a jump and the right oil, piston or spring is not used in the shocks yes. The weight from the tires will pull the suspension down while the truck is in the air possibly busting a rod end/ends.

The tires don't look so big to me though.

You have a better chance blowing out a steering servo trying to turn that big tire then messing up the suspension.

Big/bigger tires put stress on the whole drive line. Is it something I would "REALLY" be worried about if it were mine, NO.
got_nitro is offline  
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 PM
  #4  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 85
Default

Those rims have the wrong offsets and those tires are a tad too wide,,,All that tire will wear out clutch pads,clutch bearings and put undue stress on the transgears and driveshafts aswell as the rest of the suspension..Even the steering radius will be affected with negative results by making it turn wider than it did stock....
T-Maxxxed_Owt is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 05:31 AM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by T-Maxxxed_Owt View Post
Those rims have the wrong offsets and those tires are a tad too wide....
How does a off-set rim have anything to do with suspension or putting stress on a driveline? Im just curious how you arrived at that assumption. Off-set rims and tire size are 2 different things. I used to run 1/2 off truggy rims-n-tires with no problems. Yeah it might hinder the turning radius on a tight track but thats nothing a dremel and the sladen mod cant fix.
got_nitro is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:48 AM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (15)
 
z400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,244
Trader Rating: 15 (89%+)
Default

Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
How does a off-set rim have anything to do with suspension or putting stress on a driveline? Im just curious how you arrived at that assumption. Off-set rims and tire size are 2 different things. I used to run 1/2 off truggy rims-n-tires with no problems. Yeah it might hinder the turning radius on a tight track but thats nothing a dremel and the sladen mod cant fix.



Seriously?

Wider offset, and or wheel adapters will put more stress on wheel bearings then a standard offset wheel will.
z400 is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 AM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by z400 View Post



Seriously?

Wider offset, and or wheel adapters will put more stress on wheel bearings then a standard offset wheel will.



Seriously back at ya..??

Your kidding me right? No one said anything about "adapters"...

I guess Traxxas knows about this problem and has corrected it already being the PLAT Revo comes with 1/2 off's...

Funny, I never had this problem on my Revo. I still don't have this problem on all my Truggys that came stock with 1/2 off's Nice try though.
got_nitro is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 PM
  #8  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: barrie
Posts: 32
Default

Thank you for your help, I'm gonna get a slightly smaller and lighter tire.
What's a good tire for driving in the snow?

Tori
rctori is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,435
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
How does a off-set rim have anything to do with suspension or putting stress on a driveline? Im just curious how you arrived at that assumption. Off-set rims and tire size are 2 different things. I used to run 1/2 off truggy rims-n-tires with no problems. Yeah it might hinder the turning radius on a tight track but thats nothing a dremel and the sladen mod cant fix.
Are you joking? There is this little thing called leverage. And there are no assumptions needed in this case. The facts and physics are there.

A 1/2 offset isn't that much. Is it going to kill an RC driveline? No, but it will cause more stress than zero offset. In most cases, the extra width that the 1/2 offset gives outweighs the added wear and tear on the driveline. And that is the reason the Revo comes stock with 1/2 offset.
JatoTheRipper is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 03:35 AM
  #10  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Are you joking? There is this little thing called leverage. And there are no assumptions needed in this case. The facts and physics are there.

A 1/2 offset isn't that much. Is it going to kill an RC driveline? No, but it will cause more stress than zero offset. In most cases, the extra width that the 1/2 offset gives outweighs the added wear and tear on the driveline. And that is the reason the Revo comes stock with 1/2 offset.
Again, are you Joking?

0 off set puts the weight of the truck on the outside of the rim naturally. 1/2 off set puts the weight of the truck in the center of the rim. If your talking about "leverage" your "theory" is all wrong.

If you have some proof that 1/2 off set rims eat bearings I'd love to read it and not just from your fingers or a non-qualified quote. As I mentioned already and you selectively did not quote, I own trucks with both kinds of rims and even trucks with wheel extensions with NO bearing problems.

Maybe the bearing problems you personaly had are coincidence, user error or both but I'd love to read from a reliable source instead of you randomly arriving at a non-fictional blanket statment.
got_nitro is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 AM
  #11  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 269
Default

You guys seem like a couple of kids on you tube.....lol. If you're going to get technical, you could say that a wider offset will effect bearing life.
Will it ever be noticeable? No. 1/2 inch offsets are the way to go and OP's wheels do not look any bigger than the stock geode's.
trxnut454 is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 AM
  #12  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by trxnut454 View Post
You guys seem like a couple of kids on you tube.....lol. If you're going to get technical, you could say that a wider offset will effect bearing life.
Not at all, thanks for your opinion though.

Thats not real "technical" more like another 4th grade blanket statment.
got_nitro is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 AM
  #13  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 269
Default

Originally Posted by got_nitro View Post
Not at all, thanks for your opinion though.

Thats not real "technical" more like another 4th grade blanket statment.
Wow! The god of R/C tech has spoken!
Any idiot can see that offset wheels will put more leverage against the bearings and hubs. Not much, but some.
You're just angry because everyone knows you're wrong.
You think everything you say on here is the best information anyone could give.
trxnut454 is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 AM
  #14  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (24)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,147
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by trxnut454 View Post
Wow! The god of R/C tech has spoken!
Any idiot can see that offset wheels will put more leverage against the bearings and hubs. Not much, but some.
You're just angry because everyone knows you're wrong.
You think everything you say on here is the best information anyone could give.

Naw, maybe you are just mad that the info I give out is correct.


Maybe you guys are right though about the bearings, maybe I bought my "magical bearings" that are from "different companies" off the same guy that got bit from the spider that made spiderman.. OR a guy "maybe supermans brother" from Krypton. Or maybe even the same guy that sold Jack his bean stalk.
got_nitro is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 08:12 AM
  #15  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 269
Default

Hey anything's possible.....right?

I don't think anyone is saying that your bearings will just instantly go to hell with a half inch offset. We're just saying that adding offset will put a little more stress on them and you wouldn't notice much difference from one type of wheel to the other. It's simple physics, just like a big dodge 4x4 with wheels sticking out of the wheelwells. The steering, ball joints, bushings, and wheel bearings will all wear out faster.
How can you not get that?
trxnut454 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.