Search

motor suggestions???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? motor suggestions???

Hi guys. Need some help..

Ok so I have a losi xxl and it has a losi 454 which is a very good motor.
I'm just wanting to know what would be a better or even replacement for the 454. Of course I'm looking at picco lpr or o.s . I'm looking for something that will provide a bigger hp or the same hp as the 454. I'm just wanting to know of there is a motor that has the sane hp will it provide better and smoother hp range and easy tune like the 454. If any one has any suggestions on these motors or a different on please comment your help will be much appreciated. Thanks to all.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This "engine" rips!
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2078.html
Old 12-28-2010, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

I would get the LRP ZR 30. It should be faster and cheaper than the OS. It's been a while since I priced them both. If you don't already have an m2c clutch then get one, you'll be pissing in the ocean without it.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by trxnut454
I would get the LRP ZR 30. It should be faster and cheaper than the OS. It's been a while since I priced them both. If you don't already have an m2c clutch then get one, you'll be pissing in the ocean without it.
Believe it or not. I was actually looking at that same motor. I like the hp 4.12 the 454 is 3.4.
Let me ask you this what would I have to up grade for this motor or is stock good enough to last. One more question and that makes me nervous is the pull start how long do they last. Because its a pain to take the 454 out of the xxl.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ll-Start-Black.

What do you think about this motor I have no idea what the hp is or anything about it. But people have good things to say about axil motors. Thanks for the really good suggestions...
Old 12-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

FWIW, I owned both the LPP and the VG and the VG will run circles around the LRP. Plus, It is very easy to tune. I got 8 gallons out of my VG and it still was running stupid strong before I had to sell it.

Don't look at the manufacturer HP rating, they mean NOTHING and for the most part they are ALL over rated. Im not a fan of axial either but do what you want.

Here's an example of HP rating.

http://abmods.com/index.php?option=c...d=47&Itemid=84

Look up any one of these mill's and look at what they "the manufacturer" says the HP rating is lol
Those are true dyno specs.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by got_nitro
FWIW, I owned both the LPP and the VG and the VG will run circles around the LRP. Plus, It is very easy to tune. I got 8 gallons out of my VG and it still was running stupid strong before I had to sell it.

Don't look at the manufacturer HP rating, they mean NOTHING and for the most part they are ALL over rated. Im not a fan of axial either but do what you want.

Here's an example of HP rating.

http://abmods.com/index.php?option=c...d=47&Itemid=84

Look up any one of these mill's and look at what they "the manufacturer" says the HP rating is lol
Those are true dyno specs.
Hey thanks a lot nitro. You have helped a lot and seem to know what your talking about.
Let me ask you this. What do you think about the picco jl .28. There's a vid on YouTube this guy has a xxl with that motor and it looks like it hulling

Picco seems like a good hp and easy tuneable motors. What do you think about them...
Old 12-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

I liked Picco alot, long before OFNA bought them.

The Picco .28 is a beast too. Just like anything else the Picco needs just a bit more love in the beginning. They have TONS of pinch and take a good gallon to properly break in. Even after that I had one that still felt like metal on metal pinch. They are good runners though but have been known for front bearing problems. They can be a bit touchy when tuning too but once you nail the tune they are screamers!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by got_nitro
I liked Picco alot, long before OFNA bought them.

The Picco .28 is a beast too. Just like anything else the Picco needs just a bit more love in the beginning. They have TONS of pinch and take a good gallon to properly break in. Even after that I had one that still felt like metal on metal pinch. They are good runners though but have been known for front bearing problems. They can be a bit touchy when tuning too but once you nail the tune they are screamers!
Hey thanks a lot for your input. So the good choice would be the o.s.
Let me ask you this do they make that notorious with a pull start ????
Old 12-28-2010, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by doug e fresh
Hey thanks a lot for your input. So the good choice would be the o.s.
Let me ask you this do they make that notorious with a pull start ????
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Body-21VG-30VG

EDIT:

For $20 bones more you could have a roto. The engine comes with the roto back plate in that link I posted up top.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Unit-w-Shaft

Or you could use a drill.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Forget the picco, their carbs are crappy, and who wants to wait for a whole gallon of fuel before getting a full break in. I think the os would be the best for tuning, like any os, but as for power I just don't see how it's gonna make more than the lrp. Both are strong engines, it could just be a matter of pipe, fuel, plug, and tuning making one more powerful than the other.
I already mentioned the one and only must have upgrade for the xxl with a hotter engine, and that is an m2c clutch.
Manufacturer hp ratings....lmao, divide by two and then some lol.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Tech Addict

Wink thanks to all

Ok one more.

I'm looking for the better basher motor. Don't get me wrong I do full speed runs but I also do hills and jumps. So I would love to have a motor that has low end tork and enough high speed I'm most defiantly leaning towards the o.s motor but the lpr looks just as good as the o.s.. thanks to you guys for the help. Sorry about the same questions. I'm just trying to find a better replacement motor to the losi 454 . I know that might be a hard thing to do because the 454 is one hell of a motor..
Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

The choice is yours, both engines are great. All I'm trying to say with the lrp is that you'd save enough money to buy the m2c clutch.