Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
One E-Revo to the next and somethings wrong. Any help would be great >

One E-Revo to the next and somethings wrong. Any help would be great

One E-Revo to the next and somethings wrong. Any help would be great

Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default One E-Revo to the next and somethings wrong. Any help would be great

I have had my E-Revo for a couple of months now. I bought it with the brushed motors in it. I then bought a Mamba Monster/esc combo off of ebay. I put them in the truck and all seems to work great. I did change the curve in the castle link set up. I bought two turnigy 5000 maH 25-35c work great right?
So my buddy brings over his new E-Revo and wants to try out the lipo's i have. I change the throttle curve just as it is in mine just to give him an idea of what the truck will do. When I take it out the his truck is "OFF THE HOOK" wheelies all over the place. even at half throttle you just blip the throttle and it wheelie up going down the street. So what gives. could there be something wrong with the motor and esc I bought? would his gearing be just a touch different than mine? they both seem to top out at the same speed. but his is nuts. so much so that we need to turn it way back down. Not sure what's up. Let me know what you think. Thanks guys.
The motor and esc looked brand new but was used only a couple of times.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CAL-BOY-GIXXER
I then bought a Mamba Monster/esc combo off of ebay. The motor and esc looked brand new but was used only a couple of times.
Everything on flea bay is "new and or only been used a couple of times" just like a nitro engine only having 1 gallon ran through it and broken in properly.

One of the main reasons guys sell off electrics is because they got heated up beyond the range they are supposed to run (user error), the neodymium magnets inside the motor are damaged from the heat, not as efficient as they used to be (thats why the punch on your buddys seems crazy) but yours will still spool up to top speeds.

In spooling up to top speeds in yours, it will take longer and create more heat now because of it not being as efficient. It will also take more MAH out of your packs to get it there.

You also need to look for any kind of binding in your drive line. Something in there could be wrong too. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

Are you sure that you have the same motor? The mamba monster combo comes with different sized/kv motors. I would also check the gearing like you said. One tooth on a pinion gear makes a big difference. But the easiest way to check if its the motor is do a quick swap with your buddy. If you truck starts acting like his with the new motor then you have found your problem.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Install a new slipper clutch in yours, disc and pad, and try again.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by got_nitro
Everything on flea bay is "new and or only been used a couple of times" just like a nitro engine only having 1 gallon ran through it and broken in properly.

One of the main reasons guys sell off electrics is because they got heated up beyond the range they are supposed to run (user error), the neodymium magnets inside the motor are damaged from the heat, not as efficient as they used to be (thats why the punch on your buddys seems crazy) but yours will still spool up to top speeds.

In spooling up to top speeds in yours, it will take longer and create more heat now because of it not being as efficient. It will also take more MAH out of your packs to get it there.

You also need to look for any kind of binding in your drive line. Something in there could be wrong too. Good luck.
Thanks guys. I have been reading a lot on here. And the heating problem is one of the things I thought of first. Was just not wanting to put it out there first and wanted to see if that's what you guys thought. So after i check the gearing is there anything that can be done to fix this problem or is it cheaper to just replace it?
Its a brand new truck so everything should be clear on the drive train. until this past weekend when they opened up the Resurrection track it hadn't even seen dirt.
If that is the case of buying of flea-bay that just makes me sick. This world is jacked up.
Thanks again guys.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

if it is the motor overheated castle sells a rebuild kit for 25 bux that comes with a new rotor. might be something to look into.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

if your buddy is willing, swap stuff between trucks until you find the part that is causing the difference between the two.

and as said above, check if your slipper is set too loose.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Well I'm a dummy, I may have found the problem. I remember not but 3 weeks ago i had the hobby shop exchange out my esc. and i never synced up my new esc with the radio. do do you think that would be why I'm not getting all my power.
Also I couldn't check it because as I was cleaning it I found the rear end that holds the center diff. was all cracked and broken up. you would have thought i was out doing some serious bashing. I took it to the track and played with it for like an hour. ran one set of batteries through it. and I don't remember any serious hits so I ended up tearing it all apart. So you think that could be it?
And one other note i noticed it has a 18 tooth gear on the motor is that what they come with stock?