Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Savage Flux HP and Life Battery >

Savage Flux HP and Life Battery

Savage Flux HP and Life Battery

Old 12-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default Savage Flux HP and Life Battery

Hello,

Was wondering if dual 6.6 Life battery would work in a Savage HP.

Something like the one at this link:

http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=15133

I know the flux tork 2200 pulls some major amps and didn't know if the 6.6 would be enough? I would consider moving up to the 3S 9.9 life, but can't find any that seem to have the right dimensions. I think I could get some from Maxamps, but man, they are really expensive!

Thanks

Dorion
Old 12-20-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

These might be a really tight fit:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14072

or these: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10309

You can get these boxes to accept fatter packs, then 3S should fit too. http://204.186.93.64/SavageFlux-BatteryTray.htm

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10310

Are you afraid of lipos burning or just want to try out life packs?
Old 12-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Adept

Vort3x,

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions! I just want to try Life. Seems like there is alot of benefits and I feel they are just going to become more popular. So I figured to jump ahead of the curve Have you used 6.6 life in the savage? I wondering if the 6.6 is to underpowered? To slow? Also, have you used the battery trays you suggested?

Thanks again!

Dorion
Old 12-21-2010, 12:55 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Been there and done it, won't be a problem, on 2 * 2s Lifepo4 your max amps draw will be around 120 Amps on a start, top speed will be slightly lower than 2s Lifepo4 but still fairly quick.

5s Lifepo4 (3s one side, 2s the other) is a nice mix, with stock gearing amp draw is around 140-150A on start.

Life packs are fine if you a super cautious, but they need a 20-30 cycle break in where you discharge no lower than 50% and charge at no more than 2C. Also as the flat pack Lifepo4 cells are still fairly new, a lot of them (ahem Turnigy Lifepo4) are prone to puffing for no real reason.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Tech Adept

nexxus,

thanks for the reply. Glad to here that it is no problem. When useing the 5s setup, were you able to fit the 3s life in without modifing the battery tray? Which brand 3s life battery did you use that fit the savage? I'm excited to hear.

Thanks!

Dorion
Old 12-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've heard most peeps have to modify the crap outa the battery trays to get LIFE batteries to fit, but work real well otherwise. I'd be all over LIFE batteries if I could get 3s that would fit in the trays and were price competitive with Turnigy lipos but I dunno if thats ever gonna happen so i'm gonna stick with Turnigy Lipos for bang for buck factor
Old 12-21-2010, 05:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dorion
nexxus,

thanks for the reply. Glad to here that it is no problem. When useing the 5s setup, were you able to fit the 3s life in without modifing the battery tray? Which brand 3s life battery did you use that fit the savage? I'm excited to hear.

Thanks!

Dorion
When I ran 3s Life I actually used some built A123 packs, the battery holder needed a lot of dremel work and remove the lid to secure with velcro straps.

A lot of people use Turnigy Lipos with success, but IMO a cheap Lipo is a cheap Lipo, they haven't been out long enough to see long term (2-3 yrs) results over better brands such as Hyperion or Enerland. Plus if an ESC does blow it's top, often the first question that will be asked when pursuing a warranty claim will be "What batteries did you use?" Whether they perform better or not, if the manufacturer feels you're using a cheap battery, you're running an uphill battle.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Rookie

From what I can read, to many are running too low C batteries. The Turnigy 5000 40C is a hot rod of a battery. To me, that is the minimum one should use on a large brushless system. Try to run 20C, 30C is asking for problems. The 40C runs long, hard, no heat. Recharge great. A lot of battery for the $$. And if any battery show signs of distress, puffing, etc. Discharge and throw it out. Batteries are cheap compared to blown ESC, servos, receiver, etc..

The lower C batteries work well on the smaller brushless systems.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Joe Ford at Castle will tell you they recommend a minimum 5000mah 25C lipo battery and tell you that he personally runs 5000mah 30C lipos.

I run 5000 25C, but they are Neuenergy lipos and my data recorder confirms they have no prob hitting 25C. Thats the issue some tend to forget, the C rating is not the same from company to company and ones 25C may be anothers 20C. Thats where you start getting into probs.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My $25 turnigy hardcase 2s 30-40c lipos have been awesome for my first turnigys. Reliable and powerful and a helluav alot more forgiving then my expensive SMC mistake last year....