R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   Snow traction? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/461195-snow-traction.html)

red dog 12-12-2010 09:26 PM

Snow traction?

Has anyone figured out a way to get better traction in the snow other than studding you tires or tire chains? I had a blast outside in the snow today with my revo but it would be great if it wasn't kinda like skating.

mrsnuggles 12-12-2010 10:08 PM

paddle tires for snow and studded for ice.

goliath tires are good for snow as well, they give you allot of flotation.

see my snow vid. brushless hellfire on goliath tires ( when stuck balloonning the tires is the key)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF0msdwUh9A

helibrian 12-13-2010 10:22 AM

Mattracks. Great traction, you just can't go real fast with them. I don't have mine anymore, but I think I have a pic somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it up.

Sylvain 12-13-2010 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by helibrian (Post 8337014)
Mattracks. Great traction, you just can't go real fast with them. I don't have mine anymore, but I think I have a pic somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it up.

Mattracks for RC ????

Derick 12-13-2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sylvain (Post 8337615)
Mattracks for RC ????

Yes they make mattracks for rc's. If I'm not mistaken it's the New Bright mattracks that need to be modified. And RC4WD is now making some as we speak. They have there prototype done, and are testing (I think). There mostly making them for scale rc's but they do make them. It's pretty cool actually, but I'd like to see how they work before I buy a set ;)

Oh and to contribute to the thread the only thing I do is I let the tires become cold so the snow doesn't stick to them. But I run scale trucks so sticking snow is a problem for me. But I do think paddle tires are a great idea. Depending on what rc your putting them on.

-Derick

Sylvain 12-13-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Derick (Post 8337751)
Yes they make mattracks for rc's. If I'm not mistaken it's the New Bright mattracks that need to be modified. And RC4WD is now making some as we speak. They have there prototype done, and are testing (I think). There mostly making them for scale rc's but they do make them. It's pretty cool actually, but I'd like to see how they work before I buy a set ;)

-Derick

Thanks for the info, I'm right in the middle of a MGT snow project. Maybe the Mattracks will be part of the next snow projects :)

vwjuice 12-13-2010 01:48 PM

I've found that normal chevron tread pattern tires work pretty good. Especially if they are ahard compound and cold. Leave them outside for an hour to cool and then install them on the truck outside. Stock Clodbuster tires seem to work really good or Ofna titan monster truck tires.

Derick 12-13-2010 01:52 PM

No problem Sylvain! I don't think they are posted on their website yet but if you want I can send you a link were there is a picture or 2 of them.

-Derick

Sylvain 12-13-2010 03:43 PM

Yes please, give me the link

Chevron tires are ok but paddles are better but less realistic

mrgrimm 12-13-2010 04:03 PM

What about lockers/spools front and rear? My winter vehicle is now an E-maxx and it does pretty good, but climbing snowy hills would be a lot easier if it were locked. I might try it out...

helibrian 12-13-2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sylvain (Post 8337615)
Mattracks for RC ????

Yeah look at this.
:nod:
You've gotta make them work of course but,........

vwjuice 12-13-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sylvain (Post 8338281)
Yes please, give me the link

Chevron tires are ok but paddles are better but less realistic

I prefer chevrons over paddles just because if you go on the street or any hard surface like asphalt then you lose grip with the paddles. The chevrons give you more of an all terrain approach.

RCaddict0 12-13-2010 08:27 PM

Ive been running them on my E Maxx in the snow and they do good

SloRacer1080 12-13-2010 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by helibrian (Post 8338673)
Yeah look at this.
:nod:
You've gotta make them work of course but,........

I want those!! But I gotta wonder how much gear reduction would be needed for our little motors to turn 4 of those. I imagine it would put quite a load on the electronics, and a nitro would probly just burn up the clutch.

helibrian 12-14-2010 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by SloRacer1080 (Post 8339912)
I want those!! But I gotta wonder how much gear reduction would be needed for our little motors to turn 4 of those. I imagine it would put quite a load on the electronics, and a nitro would probly just burn up the clutch.

No reduction necessary. In fact, you'll be gearing taller to keep the same final drive ratio, because the diameter of the drive cog is much smaller than a full MT wheel/tire.

Let me repeat though, these are not a simple bolt-on, you will have to modify them to fit.:nod: