Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Which Castle for my Maxx? HELP! >

Which Castle for my Maxx? HELP!

Which Castle for my Maxx? HELP!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)
Default Which Castle for my Maxx? HELP!

Im debating on picking up one of the Castle motors on clearance and they only have the 1512 1.5t 1800KV thats recommended for 1/8 buggies and the 1520 1t 1600kv for MTs on 6s. I have a XeRun 80A esc right now with a Kershaw Designs Revolver (chinese 2 pole) 2370kv 3674 motor thats honestly running great with loads of torque and decent top speed. I only have 2s lipos, so I'll be running on 4s only. And I would like to stay at 4s as I can't afford to replace drivetrain parts all the time. My question is..Do you guys think this 1800 buggy motor run my Maxx good or better than the KD Revolver or possably the 1600? Im concerned about what kind of speed I would get outta the 1600 running 4s. Maybe I could gear it up a little. Like 22/68 istead of the 17/68 Im running now with the KD motor. That motor is rated at 120A(1600) and was wondering if my XeRun would be ok. Ive ran motors rated at 80A with my ExRun 60A many times and everythings been ok. So....should I get the 1800 or 1600 or just stick with what I have. It runs cool w/ fan and heatsink. But I would rather grab a Castle at that crazy low price if it would give me comparable speed. Any help would be great!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Someone give me there educated opinion please. AWW..The 1800 "buggy" motor is rated at 80A and the 1600 ""MT" is rated at 120A. But is that what it draws all the time or at breif points? My XeRun is 80A cont. and 380A peak. So whats your guys thoughs. Wife is lettin me have $100 to spend on RC for XMas! God Bless Her!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The 1512 1800kv is not the best choice for a monster truck. Its better suited for lighter weight buggies. I know the KV seems attractive, but it shouldn't be the only consideration. A larger motor like the 1520 (its longer) can be geared higher to compensate for the lower kv, because it has more torque.

Also while the 1512 may be rated for 80A, thats not what it will draw, that's what it can handle. Motors are rated same as an esc, for how much they can handle, not what they'll draw (burst or cont). Amp draw depends on the motor, gearing, and weight. To be honest, I'd be concerned about either motor burning out your esc. But if you gear convservatively (don't get greedy) and watch the esc temps as you make changes you'll be fine. A cheaper option than changing the pinion is to change the spur. I'd try your 17T pinion on a 66T spur first. BTW 65T is about as low as you can go, the motor will hit the trans case before the mesh gets tight enough.

Personally, I'd get the 1520, I have one in my Emaxx (on 6s, geared for 45mph) and its awesome. You'll be glad you did, it'll run cooler, give you longer runtime and have more power. Its a great motor at a great price. Even if you don't use it now and just save it for later. I bought an extra 1518 and 1520, only hooked them up to make sure they worked, sitting on the shelf waiting for now. Too bad the 1518 is sold out, would've been a nice middle ground with its 1800kv and larger than 1512 + 1515 size.

Edit: To get the same top speed you have now with the 1520 1600kv you would need 24/65 gearing. With the 1512 1800kv you'd need 22/65. Keeping the top speed the same should keep the amp draw about the same. The castle motors may draw a little less since they are more efficient.

Last edited by Overdriven; 12-08-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added gearing info