Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
What's up with my TRX 2.5? >

What's up with my TRX 2.5?

What's up with my TRX 2.5?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Iam99x
I have some high temp RVT that I can use if it will work.
Thats what you would want to use, the less the better.

Whats the "drop test" on a nitro engine? There is no such thing because the piston sleeve is tappered.

If you took the piston and sleeve out of the crank case and took the piston and pushed it up into the sleeve with your finger, if you could push it to the top of the sleeve with your finger with little or NO resistance, you have no more compression or "pinch" in the sleeve.

EDIT, The sleeve loooks like this / \ it's tappered at the top.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by got_nitro
Thats what you would want to use, the less the better.

Whats the "drop test" on a nitro engine? There is no such thing because the piston sleeve is tappered.

If you took the piston and sleeve out of the crank case and took the piston and pushed it up into the sleeve with your finger, if you could push it to the top of the sleeve with your finger with little or NO resistance, you have no more compression or "pinch" in the sleeve.

EDIT, The sleeve loooks like this / \ it's tappered at the top.
The drop-test is where you hold the flywheel, with the engine head pointing down, rotate the engine by the flywheel. If the compression of the engine is strong enough to hold the engine horizontal for ~2 seconds, it's considered good.

I know what the cylinder looks like, and understand how compression in these engines work. I think it's about time they make one of these with some piston rings haha. I think it would be more efficient.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Well, thats a new one to me. I've been doing this for a little while now and never heard of this.

I know some engines dont have much compression like my o.s speed but I do know these 1.5 traxxas engines lose compression very easily and do not run well. They like to run on the hot side and the front bearing seals and plastic carbs are notorious for leaking.

You will find yourself having to lean them out to make any kind of power because of lack of compression.

Good luck whatever you do.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

What exactly did you seal the engine with? I have some high temp RVT that I can use if it will work.
There's actually something called carb sealant that can be had at any LHS. I used gasket material purchased from AutoZone.

High Temp RTV will work just fine. Seal backplate, starter, carb (part that sticks into the crankcase), HSN and LSN. A thin bead around each part will do just fine. Once you seal it up, LEAVE IT ALONE for at least 24 hours! A lot of people get to anxious and run it after a short period of time. This doesn't allow the seal to form and set properly.

There are plenty of YouTube videos on sealing a nitro engine so you can refer to those for more detailed help.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks, guys. I'm going to use another gas tank off of my RS4 2 until I can get another T-Maxx one, use the correct needle settings, and hope for the best. If that doesn't work, I will reseal both engines. If that fails, I will get them pinched.

Thanks again.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

No one know where I can buy one of those cheap pinching tools?
Old 11-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you want to do it correctly, those tools are very, very pricey. Most don't recommend using the $2 clamps. It works, but it's your call.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by quixoticboi
If you want to do it correctly, those tools are very, very pricey. Most don't recommend using the $2 clamps. It works, but it's your call.
Yeah, the "correct" tool is like $500. The one I'm talking about is around $30-$40.

Anyone???

I've searched for hours online, and only found old eBay auctions and old F/S threads on forums.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

eBay has em.
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI....#ht_4034wt_907

Alternatively, people use fuel injector clamps. I believe people use the 14-18mm one. Not sure.
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?...mber=311133515

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Adept

Who was the guy on here that pinches engines? I may send him all 3 of my 2.5's.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

No one know where I can buy one of those cheap pinching tools?
I got my pinching tools from ebay...$13.00 each.They are sold by ESP Racing..They came from Hong Kong and came within 7 days ...I bought one for my TRX 3.3 / Sirio .27 and Axial.32 and they all work way better than a $2.00 hoseclamp because the pinching tools retain the taper of the sleeve unlike the hoseclamp trick...

The guys screen name is rc renew that does the sleeve pinching service...

To seal the LSN and HSN I use green tire slime I put in an old silicone shock oil bottle to dispense it...........

Last edited by T-Maxxxed_Owt; 12-27-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Adept

Awesome! Thanks, man!!!