Savage 25

Old 06-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Savage 25

Had the one way bearing on the starter shaft go out five times. LCH replaced everything to do with the rotostart. The bearing went out two more times. Gave it back to them. Trading for the LST. T-maxx is running good. Anyone have any ideas about the Savage one way bearing??????????
Old 06-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Never had a pdoblem myself. Did you check the tightness of the screws on engine backplate. They were put in without locktite and come loose.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Savage 25

Sure did check the back plate screws. Caught that when cleaning the truck. lock tigtened all of them. The engine started two more times before the problem stated. My LHS replaced the bearing four times. Put in a new starter shaft, did it to them that time. Got a whle new starter system, did it to me again. I thought about a pull start but decided against it. Gave the the truck back. Waiting on the LST trade. Really liked the Savage except for the reciever cover! Thanks for the reply.............
Old 06-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

What I did yo prevent this is to patially charge batteries. I never cracked one after that, and its been half a year
Old 06-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Tech Initiate

go to a pullstart, there's less snapping pressure on the bearing that way..

~Mark~
Old 06-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by dirtbike
go to a pullstart, there's less snapping pressure on the bearing that way..

~Mark~
I agree. If your Savage has the roto-start I would get rid of it. It's nice for breaking in the motor when new but the drill really beats up the truck. The savage is a great truck, I wouldn't give up on it just yet because of broken one ways. A pull start will solve your problems and eliminate having to carry around that pesky drill.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Savage Roto Start

I have had the Savage 25 for about a year and I have only killed 2 one ways out of about 4 gallons of fuel. I think the first 2 (my fault) flooded it and still rapped on it trying to start it. Now on the third one it is just now starting to have slight problems.. I love the roto start other than having to carry that god awful drill thingy all us Savage owners hate.. Well just my thoughts for now L8TR All And have fun Bashing....

Eric.B K.C Mo.
DotJumper
Check out my talk page www.seidkracing.com
Soon to be Race page for all to view

Send me your pics I can put them up on the site
[email protected]
Old 07-03-2004, 12:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default steering servo saver problem?

Does anyone got this problem? i installed the KO 2344 servo(high torque) with freshly charged battery but the truck seems not to move when on stationary(idling). but ONLY when i push the truck it steer faster...now my question, is this normal? (1st experience with MT )
Is it the servo saver?
Old 07-08-2004, 06:34 PM
RMG
Tech Adept

I just had my first one-way go out two days ago. And my Savage has at least 8-gallons through it.

If you really want to get all the latest info. about the Savage truck you should visit Savage-Central.com. That's the most active Savage site on the net, and the most info. about the truck flows through that site.

Once you get the few bugs worked out with the Savage I don't think there is a more reliable truck available.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

The roto start system has certain undeniable flaws, as does the pull start system. However, correct usage of the rotostart system prevents the one-ways from failing on a regular basis. I've run 6 gallons through my Savage SS and only broken 1 oneway bearing.

The biggest problem is when people attempt to start their engines with the roto start when the ENGINE IS FLOODED. Don't do it! You'll not only break your one ways on a frequent basis, but also cause more serious damage to the other engine components ie, crankshaft, big end, con rod, wrist pin etc.

The other thing you can do is to use a cordless drill/driver with an adjustable clutch. The clutch prevents too much torque being transmitted through the oneway and if the engine is flooded, the clutch will simply slip until the user actually clears the engine. It also reduces the 'snap' as the engine begins to fire up.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:51 AM
Tech Champion

i started using back my roto-start after 1 full gallon and i never encounter the one-way breaking again. yep...with 2400Mah battery, the torque is too much...especially with flooded engine. so started run-in my engine with pull-start. after the 1st gallon...using the roto never been easier. just love it.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:57 AM
Tech Champion

Just curious, i've just installed the tuned ribbed pipe and i noticed my engine no longer running lean...it stays around 116 ~ 120Celcius...and also i noticed the torque is too much. it spins the tires like its not on the ground. i love it though. is it ok to use the 16T clutch bell now after the installed pipe?
Old 08-25-2004, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, the 16 tooth clutch bell is fine. I personally use 15 tooth for racing, but it tops out really quick - especially when I use 40 series tyres - because they have a smaller diameter compared to the stock wheels/tyres. But for the kind of tracks I race on with alot of tight turns, it works out alright.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jfc_tech
Just curious, i've just installed the tuned ribbed pipe and i noticed my engine no longer running lean...it stays around 116 ~ 120Celcius...and also i noticed the torque is too much. it spins the tires like its not on the ground. i love it though. is it ok to use the 16T clutch bell now after the installed pipe?
The ribbed pipe is firm favourite with lots of people. I regularly run temps of 135 + Celcius on my S-25 engine. It doesn't seem to suffer and produces good power - it's on it's 7th gallon!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

horatio is right when it comes to starting the flooded engine and the roto-start but that applies MORE to the pullstart motors...probably 80-90% of the broken pullstarts i see are due to yankin on flooded motors...or people that think they are trying to start a lawnmower and pull like 3 feet each time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.