Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Got my first HK,Turnigy Lipos. Doesn't look good.... >

Got my first HK,Turnigy Lipos. Doesn't look good....

Got my first HK,Turnigy Lipos. Doesn't look good....

Old 08-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freezebyte View Post
I bought the connector but yeah, $10 for soldering them on.

Guess i'm screwed.....
Oh PLEASE tell me what shop this so I can keep an eye out for the notice when they go out of business. I buy up inventory from shops liquidating and with business practices like that this one surely will be gone soon. You've got to be kidding. $10 for a nickel worth of solder at most and 30 seconds of their time?

I probably shouldn't be as mad as I am but taking advantage of customers like that is ridiculous.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

As for your lipos, that definitely sucks. That is the risk you take with HK lipos. If you want to reduce/eliminate the risk buy a MaxAmps and pay 4 times as much per battery to save the hassle. They would replace it for you free if that happened. But personally, I'll take the risk of saving a few hundred bucks over the course of a year.

Good luck to ya!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
Oh PLEASE tell me what shop this so I can keep an eye out for the notice when they go out of business. I buy up inventory from shops liquidating and with business practices like that this one surely will be gone soon. You've got to be kidding. $10 for a nickel worth of solder at most and 30 seconds of their time?

I probably shouldn't be as mad as I am but taking advantage of customers like that is ridiculous.
It goes both ways, man.

A fool and his money, etc etc
Old 08-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Guy at LHS said I should charge the bad Lipo at a really low rate, like .2 amp to try and bring the cells back to life and keep it from getting warm due to the cells being discharged that low. I was charging it at 1c o 5 amps when it started to get warm and he said thats really bad for Lipo's like this one that have been discharged really low, you need to charge it very low to bring it back to life.

I'm trying the very low charge and so far so good after almost an hour, puffing has decreased as well.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you want to reduce/eliminate the risk buy a MaxAmps and pay 4 times as much per battery to save the hassle.
Fvck that shit....
Old 08-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default turnigy lipos

Ive had bad turnigy lipos - cells arriving puffed or soldered internal connections breaking
However I have thrashed three of their LIFEPO cells for over 6 months with
zero problems If you dont need beserk voltage these are a good option
I run 3s in my rustler and it doesnt get more than a few degrees above ambient.

They are also pretty easy to take apart and reconfigure - do this at your own risk!
Old 08-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 306 (100%+)

If he bought the packs locally, yeah fine, the LHS should solder the plugs for nix. But he's buying packs from Hong kong, then paying a token $4 for a plug at the LHS, yeah I'd charge the bastard $10 to do it too! Store Owner has to make a living as well!

..as for your Puffy pack, well I never buy Soft Case Lipos as a start, just as a safety thing. I spose you don't have a Lipo sack either? I'd be slapping the Puffed up pack in a Lipo Sack, and dispose of it at a battery recycling centre. Turnigy Lipos you take the chance that the odd pack arrives DOA, but at the price, it's a calculated risk.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

The bad lipo has approx 1000mAh in it now and it appears to be holding steady. The puffing is almost non existant and the cells are holding .01v to .03v variance. I started charging at .1 amps for and hour, let it sit for most of the day and then upped it to .2Amp with no issues and let it sit overnight and so far, so good. Yesterday I jumped it up to 1amp charge for one hour and still looks good atm. I put the Lipo's in my Savage Flux and did a little wheel spinning on the stand and all seemed well.

I"m gonna try a 2amp charge later today and monitor it closely.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freezebyte View Post
The bad lipo has approx 1000mAh in it now and it appears to be holding steady. The puffing is almost non existant and the cells are holding .01v to .03v variance. I started charging at .1 amps for and hour, let it sit for most of the day and then upped it to .2Amp with no issues and let it sit overnight and so far, so good. Yesterday I jumped it up to 1amp charge for one hour and still looks good atm. I put the Lipo's in my Savage Flux and did a little wheel spinning on the stand and all seemed well.

I"m gonna try a 2amp charge later today and monitor it closely.
PICS of the Flux?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by vstrok View Post
PICS of the Flux?
Not much to look at, its bone stock and brand new still.