Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
could use assistance >

could use assistance

could use assistance

Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default could use assistance

lookin to buy a rc monster truck, i only wanna spend like 150 to 200....wanna get the most bang for my buck, has to be nitro, just curious if u guys could help me decide on whats durable, bad ass, fast, big...stuff like that.............seen some T MAXXs online for like 160 but i hear mixed reviews on the t maxx.....i know this is a super rookie post/question but i need help,lol...thanks guys
Old 08-04-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Regular

i think you shold save up a bit more money.

just to not buy someone elses problems!
after that just use the search
( good luck , try to search google ) for the best truck .
i say savage of any kind ... but the less you pay ... the more worn the truck!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You just about have to assume any used nitro MT you buy will have a basically worn out motor and make your decision on that basis. Used nitros are problematic at best. I will not buy a used nitro engine unless its from someone I know or I can see and hear it run. Craigs list can be a help here since it'll help find local sales.

There are too many stories here and on other forums buying used nitros rigs and finding the engines are trashed. Anticipate in your eventual cost that you'll at least have to replace piston/sleeve - and thats if its in good shape. You may come out better buying a roller and then adding electronics and engine in the long run. You really can wind up just buying someone else's problems. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
You just about have to assume any used nitro MT you buy will have a basically worn out motor and make your decision on that basis. Used nitros are problematic at best. I will not buy a used nitro engine unless its from someone I know or I can see and hear it run. Craigs list can be a help here since it'll help find local sales.

There are too many stories here and on other forums buying used nitros rigs and finding the engines are trashed. Anticipate in your eventual cost that you'll at least have to replace piston/sleeve - and thats if its in good shape. You may come out better buying a roller and then adding electronics and engine in the long run. You really can wind up just buying someone else's problems. Good luck!
+1
I don't buy used engines anymore. Every used nitro engine I've ever bought, or known of anyone buying, has seen WAY more use/abuse that the seller claimed. At this point every time I see " Less than a gallon run through it" I just laugh. You've gotta assume that gallon was run through at 450+.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (96%+)

Originally Posted by helibrian View Post
+1
I don't buy used engines anymore. Every used nitro engine I've ever bought, or known of anyone buying, has seen WAY more use/abuse that the seller claimed. At this point every time I see " Less than a gallon run through it" I just laugh. You've gotta assume that gallon was run through at 450+.
this x1000. Seriously. You are going to be in this made up percentile because your new, but I'd say 95% of ppl who run nitro have NO IDEA how to tune or properly run an engine. It's amazing really.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+1
Not everyone sells junk, to assume this is just stupid.

Matter of fact im selling a frankenspec ninja right now for cheap and its in great shape, but thats besides the fact.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1
X infinity. From my short experience with nitro ownership, unless you REALLY know the person who is selling the engine and they REALLY know how to handle, use, tune and maintain nitro engines, just don't even bother taking the chance. Really
Old 08-05-2010, 05:09 AM
Tech Regular

i sold my ofna lx1 last summer ... it had less than a gallon threw it ! lol

but i sold it to a friend that races with me ... cause i will not seel anything to someone that does not use it right, then come back a say it was buggered up when he got from u!!!

lucky for my budies he came to prsctice with me ... he changed fuel from odonnel race to odonnel rtr ,
not even realising it was different!
then ran the buggy with out re-tuning ... it wasn;t goint to last long !
Old 08-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (96%+)

Originally Posted by All4BSpinnin View Post

Matter of fact im selling a frankenspec ninja right now for cheap and its in great shape, but thats besides the fact.
Go to the selling forums to promote your garbage, here isn't the place. Yet another thread where you are all alone in your opinion.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR View Post
Go to the selling forums to promote your garbage, here isn't the place. Yet another thread where you are all alone in your opinion.
Once again reading comprehension owns you, i said i was not trying to promote my item (which i sold), you are just willing to ruin everyones thread with your childish mentality.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by All4BSpinnin View Post

Ah...well, then there's the sellers perspective

No, not everyone sells junk, just the overwhelming majority, and to assume so...well, i wouldn't call it stupid, it's more along the lines of...realistic, prudent, commonsensical, cognizant, practical, rational? Not everyone that walks the streets of Juarez at night will get shot at, mugged, kidnapped, murdered, but you've got to make your decisions based on what you know, and act accordingly. I learned that when I was 3. It was the the first (and last) time I stuck a butter knife into an electrical outlet.

Congrats on selling your franken.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR View Post
Hate to play devi's advocate, but I agree. Granted most people are selling crap and trying to get over, but not all. That being said, I'd take everybody elses' advice and plan on at the very least buying/rebuilding a motor. It's ALWAYS cheaper and easier to do it right the first time.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

you've got to make your decisions based on what you know, and act accordingly. I learned that when I was 3. It was the the first (and last) time I stuck a butter knife into an electrical outlet.
Were you grounded?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Freezebyte View Post
Were you grounded?
heh....good one
Hey, where you at?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

heh....good one