Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Going back to Flux. Fill me in on Lipo & chargers >

Going back to Flux. Fill me in on Lipo & chargers

Going back to Flux. Fill me in on Lipo & chargers

Old 07-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Going back to Flux. Fill me in on Lipo & chargers

Ok, in case you hadn't noticed, i've had my fill of Baja ownership these past few months. As enjoyable as its been, I can't justify spending the money to run and maintain this vehicle, so its going to someone else and im picking my 2nd Savage Flux, the updated 2.4ghz model with hopefully included bulletproof difs and updated MMM controller.

I'm a bit behind the updates and changes in regards to Lipo and charger tech. I AM NOT going to be giving SMC anymore of my money as that turned into an expensive nightmare as most of you may remember from my posts last year.

That being said, i've been looking into the Lipo's at Hobby king that peeps have been stating are great for all around performance with a much better price tag. I'm planning on starting with 2S packs again with maybe 3S later down the road. I plan on purchasing two sets of 2S so I can still have long bash sessions without paying premium for higher mAh rated lipos. Can you guys give some newer and up to date suggestions on what have been some proven and reliable 2S Lipo's that don't break the bank, but won't fry the mamba ESC?

Also, I'm not paying the premium price for chargers like I did with my Triton 2 and I can't justify spending the cost for a dual hyperion charger. I've been doing some charger research and I like the looks/performance and cost of this new one from dynamite. I'll likely end up purchasing two chargers so I can get my charging details done faster and still come out money ahead. Any one had experience or details on the pluses or minuses of this dynamite model? Or other suggestions if this one isn't worth its salt?

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4064

Thanks for helping a soon to be un-retired brushless owner. By the power of Flux!
Old 07-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 307 (100%+)

Yeah the Baja does expose bad drivers and kids pretty easily.

Gonna scam some more HPI parts?
Old 07-25-2010, 01:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Careful man, you may get a bad ulcer if you keep this grudge against me.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Tech Rookie

I'm also using the same charger. That dynamite charger is awesome, and for the price you can't it beat. I'm also thinking about going the flux route also, it was a tough choice between that and the e maxx brushless. I can only imagine how much of a money pit the 5t can be. Good luck on the flux, I'll be getting one soon enough.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Good to hear, $260 for two chargers that have better specs then the Triton 2 that I used previously, its hard to beat. Just wanted to hear some some usage reports before I committed.

5T was alot of fun, but because RC is my distant secondary hobby, I can't justify the costs of ownership anymore when I'd rather more of my money go into my primary lifestyle of computers, hi tech equipment and gaming.

As far as E-Maxx, after owning a Revo 3.3, i'll never own a another traxxass product again.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (96%+)

Well besides making snaps like Nexxus I'll actually give you a bit of real advice considering I know how you feel on the Bajas.

For a Lipo Charger, I picked up the new MRC Super Brain 992 and have had great luck with it. Charges and balances my packs perfectly, both SMC and Enerland packs. I see you are going to go the generic route after SMC left a bad taste in your mouth, which is understandable.

I have the newest version of the MMM and have had no issues running in 100+ degree weather running both sets of batteries back to back. Temps never went over 145 on ESC.

I felt the exact same way as you about the Revo also. I hated the 3.3 with a passion, but gave the ERBE a chance considering it was BNIB on the trade for my baja. (also came with a bunch of other stuff NIP). This thing is a completely different animal than the 3.3. I've thrown this thing around like I did my Savage and have had nothing break. I'd suggest looking at the ERBE just to entertain, I for once don't regret owning a Traxxas product. I'd personally take the Emaxx over it if the option was there, and it's a 100$ cheaper.

So there is my attempt at actually being helpful to you. Anymore questions?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think someone has hacked CaseyDDR's account.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Looks like your account is gone at hpibajaforum. You must have really pissed them off.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Just charge both your lipos in parallel and you won't need a dual charger/two chargers. All you need to worry about is having enough charger output power to charge multiples with a single charger. Its just simple cabling from there.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, get one of the iChargers and a power supply.

Do you know what lipos you're going to run?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

I am pretty much set on Hobbyking lipos, the price is hard to beat. Just the fact that they always seem to be out of stock of the good ones and that some warehouses are across the ocean concerns me for support/quality reasons.

Man, even though it only charges at 5 amps max, for $55 thats a screaming deal, even if I get two of them. I hear alot of people like this one also. http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

What's people experience been with reliability of the Lipos from hobbyking? I've heard its kinda hit and miss at times. How have the returns/exchanged/refund process gone, especially if you get something from a warehouse over seas?

Last edited by Freezebyte; 07-25-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Freezebyte View Post
I am pretty much set on Hobbyking lipos, the price is hard to beat. Just the fact that they always seem to be out of stock of the good ones and that some warehouses are across the ocean concerns me for support/quality reasons.

Man, even though it only charges at 5 amps max, for $55 thats a screaming deal, even if I get two of them. I hear alot of people like this one also. http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

What's people experience been with reliability of the Lipos from hobbyking? I've heard its kinda hit and miss at times. How have the returns/exchanged/refund process gone, especially if you get something from a warehouse over seas?
The return process is non existent. It costs more to ship back a pack than to buy another one new. It is hit or miss, that's why I said buy 5 instead of 4.

Which charger are you talking about for 55$? The one I recommended or the dynamite?

Don't go getting yourself banned here too btw.

Also the charger you linked is an exact copy of I think a Trinity high end charger, and have read good things about them. We know you're ok with rip offs!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR View Post
The return process is non existent. It costs more to ship back a pack than to buy another one new. It is hit or miss, that's why I said buy 5 instead of 4.
Well I knew there was a trade off somewhere. Still beats paying SMC's prices and having to baby them, been their, done that. And yes, I got perma banned/removed from HBF because I told rob I was sick of his nazi forum moderating ways right to his face.

Last edited by Freezebyte; 07-25-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you can't go wrong with the hobbycity packs. i have been using them for 2 years with nothing but satisfaction. i have a pair of smc 9000mah 2s packs that are weak and they are my only lipos that won't make my flux do a standing backflip. they also puffed on a very easy run. i use them in my blitz now and they still get warm

hobbycity has some nice chargers too. i have been running this charger for a year and it is great. i charge my 2s packs in parallel on it at 10a (5a per pack) and it balances very accurately. use this power supply with it.

for battery packs, these packs are the ones you want to get. i have 4 of the 30c version of that pack and they barely get warm on even the hardest runs in my savage flux and they have some SICK punch. the 40c ones should be even better.

i have suggested that charger and those batteries out of personal experience and knowing that the charger and batteries are awesome, especially for the price. i have really put those batteries through hell and they just ask for more.

turnigy recently released their new nano-tech packs that are supposed to be even better, but i have not used them before. i have a 4s pack that i haven't had a chance to run yet, but if you want to get a pair of nano-tech packs as well, these are the ones you want.

Last edited by scarletboa; 07-25-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks scar, that link to the first batteries doesn't work FYI. Good to know that these cheap turnigy batteries can actually take a beating vs my hellish luck with SMC's expensive "racing" Lipos from last year
Old 07-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe SMC cleaned up their act or I got lucky, but my packs in 4s setup have my revo doing back flips :/ I was shocked at the power difference they gave me over the Enerland 25c packs I have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service