Wiki Posts
Search

Going back to Flux. Fill me in on Lipo & chargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freezebyte
Thanks scar, that link to the first batteries doesn't work FYI. Good to know that these cheap turnigy batteries can actually take a beating vs my hellish luck with SMC's expensive "racing" Lipos from last year
i have about 15 hobbycity batteries and they are all great.

i fixed the link in my first post.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Oh my 6000maH 28c SMC's performed well, It was the fact that I learned the hard way and from hearing from SMC themselves that

1. Being a "racer" battery, they do no like to have a full charge on them longer then 12 hours. Otherwise, the chemical makeup of the battery falls apart and it starts to puff *fate of my 2nd pair*

2. Faulty and poor chemical composition has resulted in SMC lipos that failed under moderate loads, warm temperatures and other variables *fate of my 1st pair*

3. Due to lack of flexiblity from #1 in not being able to to just charge my Lipos and let them sit for days and use them when I feel like it, I can't justify their costs.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I'm just using a couple of el cheapo Venom 4000mah 20C Lipos in my Summit, charged on a Turnigy Accucel 6, I keep them both charged and usually use them within the week without issues.

Surprised you got banned on HBF, I have been on that forum for years and haven't had anyone say boo, and I'm not exactly the most user friendly person out there.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Its one thing to be somewhat unfriendly. Its another to call Rob out on his moderating ways and telling him to go screw himself

Last edited by Freezebyte; 07-28-2010 at 12:34 PM. Reason: removed profanity , issued infraction
Old 07-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

www.progressiverc.com

You want to be a charging god? Check Dave's stuff out. You can buy chargers and power supply's that take care of business. Currently I run the Icharger 208B and the P350 power supply. Get the Parallel squid lines and balance leads from Dave and you can charge 6 2S Lipos in like an hour and 20 minutes. With some of those new setups he has at 30 amps, 6 2S lipos would be done in one hour. You convince the charger that you hooked up a 30,000mAh battery to it and you're good. I have been doing it for a while now and they are always balanced. It's insane.

Check it out, call him up, real nice knowledgeable guy.

Speaking of those new Hobbyking packs. I have some of the 6000mAh 25-50 2S packs coming for my Flux. My buddy got a 3300 45-90c 3S for his Rustler. No joke, he slams that pack at 20 amps with the iCharger 208b and it's done in 11 minutes. The cells stay balanced from 3.2 to 4 volts, bottom to top. I sat there and watched it because he scared me with his crazy talk. It didn't even warm up. It runs for 25 minutes doing speed runs in a parking lot. That stuff is legit.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks scar, that link to the first batteries doesn't work FYI. Good to know that these cheap turnigy batteries can actually take a beating vs my hellish luck with SMC's expensive "racing" Lipos from last year
I just thought youd like to know..

You remember a bit of an argument you got into with a gentelman named SureToCrash, at RCU around this time last year? It was about some SMC Lightning Volts 3s 3400 18c packs.. Anyways, I bought his flux, and ran those lipos myself both in my flux, and my erevo, and to this day they are still pretty good packs, tho runtime is a bit limited, being only 3400s
Old 07-28-2010, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by freeagent
I just thought youd like to know..

You remember a bit of an argument you got into with a gentelman named SureToCrash, at RCU around this time last year? It was about some SMC Lightning Volts 3s 3400 18c packs.. Anyways, I bought his flux, and ran those lipos myself both in my flux, and my erevo, and to this day they are still pretty good packs, tho runtime is a bit limited, being only 3400s
I puffed an SMC 5400 soft case in my e-truggy. I called SMC and they sent me a brand new hard case 5400 immediately. Freezebyte, we all know you had trouble with SMC packs. We all know there are risks with everything but SMC is a company in the RC business trying to make and market a good product to continue growing a customer base. They provide customer service and try to make things right. I think it's high time you left them alone. Is someone paying you to continue slandering them? If not, give it a rest maybe? If you respond to this, please do not reiterate anything about your SMC experience please. We would all enjoy the knowledge and experience about RC that you bring to this forum but just be a little more tactful.

Think about it, if we were all physically in a big ball room at a party. The party is called "The RCTech.net party." Would you go running around talking bad about other people at the party or tell them to F off? You would be all loud, bringing a spectacle upon yourself? I hope you would not. You are not going to make friends and then you would probably be asked to leave. If you don't care about making friends, than that's your prerogative. If you don't care because it's "not real" because it's the internet than that's stupid. This world we live in, as big as it seems, is not that big, especially the RC community. You should minimize bridge burning in life.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Understandable, i'll let it go. I finally sold the 5T today, Wooo! Now "Frostbyte II" project has begun!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Understandable, i'll let it go. I finally sold the 5T today, Wooo! Now "Frostbyte II" project has begun!
Good to hear! Let us know what you do and how it goes! I am going to be dusting off my Flux in a few days. I have been spending my time with my 8ight's at the track. Nothing like some good ol' Flux bashing. It warms the soul.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hmm ok, im also torn with buying two of these instead of the Dynamite Ultra so I can do 2 lipo's at once. Input? Are they quality chargers? The price is freaking awesome, even for two with shipping!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

I had a Flightpower Triton 2EQ with my first flux. Nice charger, but overpriced.

I also can't find out what the maximum battery mah size this charger can handle, anyone know?

Last edited by Freezebyte; 07-29-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmm ok, im also torn with buying two of these instead of the Dynamite Ultra so I can do 2 lipo's at once. Input? Are they quality chargers? The price is freaking awesome, even for two with shipping!

http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

I had a Flightpower Triton 2EQ with my first flux. Nice charger, but overpriced.

I also can't find out what the maximum battery mah size this charger can handle, anyone know?

that charger will do exactly what you want/need it to do. i have a similar charger that uses the same programming and it has worked very well or me for almost 2 years now. the only difference is mine is a DC only charger and i use an external PSU.

there is no limit to mah you can charge on it. i charged a 50ah car battery with mine.

you could charge a 2s pack at the full 5a or a 3s pack at about 4.4a due to the 50w limit.

long story short, you will love those chargers and they are perfect for what you want to do.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok, I just remember seeing some chargers with like a 9000mAh battery limit or something like that. I do realize that beyond 5000mAh it will take a bit extra time to charge but I could still charge two Lipos at once if I got two of them vs single 8amp passport ultra. I think I still come out charge time ahead if my math is correct

For a theoretical example:

Four 2s 7000mAh Lipos w/single Passport Ultra @ 7amps = 1 per Lipo = over 4 hours to charge

Four 2s 7000mAh Lipos w/ two AC6 @ 5amps = approx 1.5 per set = approx 3 hours to charge

If I factor in doing a 3S 5000mAh Lipo or above i'm looking at at least 1.5 hours per Lipo on each AC6 due to wattage limit.

Hmmmmm......
Old 07-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

So wait, how does the charger known when to stop charging a Lipo after a certain capacity point if it doesn't allow you enter the batteries max mAh capacity? I had to do that with my Triton 2 EQ but I don't see where you enter that on this charger.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

So wait, how does the charger known when to stop charging a Lipo after a certain capacity point if it doesn't allow you enter the batteries max mAh capacity? I had to do that with my Triton 2 EQ but I don't see where you enter that on this charger.
It's a special sort of charger / battery mental telepathy mate, you wouldn't understand!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default I got my flux in the mail today.

I've heard some people complain about the HPI fresh-from-the-factory smell, but personally I love it. It smells how I think a 50+mph rc truck should smell.

Unfortunately I can't run it yet because UPS is playing games with my battery shipment. It's tracking status has been stuck at the same thing for a few days now: HODGKINS, IL, US 07/26/2010 8:00 A.M. ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS.

Lame.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.