Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
From A Savage To A Truggy >

From A Savage To A Truggy

From A Savage To A Truggy

Old 07-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default From A Savage To A Truggy

What would it take to make a Savage X 4.6 look like a truggy? I know lower the shocks, probably take 4 of them off. Would truggy wheels and tires fit? Is there a wing/wing mount that would fit and that would look good?

Note: I don't want to dump money into this to make it perform like and 8ight T 2.0 (sarcasm) and it doesn't have to be the fastest on the track. I just want more of a truggy LOOK.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Tech Regular

with out dropping a pile of money on parts you could just,
just take off all the spring lifters. even tie rap the coil springs a few coils together at a time to lower the truck if needed.
removing shocks would remove half the handling in the corners making the monster truck handle even worse ... which would not be more like a truggy at all!!
then ajust your body posts as low as possible.
after that you nedd to start spending money and thiere is soo much you can do!
bodies, wings, wheels, tires, wheel extenders , sway bars , extended tvp's or lower tvp's
check integy, pro-line for starters but i'm sure that thier is a favorite company of savage parts for each part you can think of
Old 07-26-2010, 03:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by supamagician View Post
What would it take to make a Savage X 4.6 look like a truggy? I know lower the shocks, probably take 4 of them off. Would truggy wheels and tires fit? Is there a wing/wing mount that would fit and that would look good?

Note: I don't want to dump money into this to make it perform like and 8ight T 2.0 (sarcasm) and it doesn't have to be the fastest on the track. I just want more of a truggy LOOK.

Thanks,
Rob
An 'economical' way to lower your Savage X as follows:

Cut 1/2" length of thick fuel tubing and put them over your shock shaft, INSIDE your shock cylinder (NOT OUTSIDE), in-between the shock-piston and the shock shaft end, got it...?

By doing so, you have 'decreased' the shock shaft length, which means you have lesser 'droop', and your truck should be 'arms-level' when you have done this cheap mod.

Or you can replace a shorter length shock shaft.

Yes, truggy wheels will fit the Savage, in fact better in terms of handling on a track. Get Proline LPR (low profile racing) Crime Fighter or Bow Tie i.e. and preferably 1/2" offset wheel, zero offset wheel will do too if you prefer.

Hope this help.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Sweet sound's good, I'll try that mod, and when I get money, I may get truggy wheels and tires. Does anyone know of a wing mount that would fit?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

PRC sells shock towers which use Hot Bodies wing mount.

http://www.platinumrcproducts.com/products.html

They also have LCG towers on which you can use truggy shocks (but that's more $$$)
Old 07-27-2010, 03:43 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by V0RT3X View Post
PRC sells shock towers which use Hot Bodies wing mount.

http://www.platinumrcproducts.com/products.html

They also have LCG towers on which you can use truggy shocks (but that's more $$$)
Originally Posted by supamagician View Post
Sweet sound's good, I'll try that mod, and when I get money, I may get truggy wheels and tires. Does anyone know of a wing mount that would fit?
Yes, the Platinum RC carbon fiber wing mount plate is good, it's a direct fit, I have one fixed to my X too.

This model, for Savage X
PRC184 - HPI Savage X, XL, FLUX Wing Mount Plate

This plate is designed to mount to the Stock rear shock tower and accept the Hot Body’s C8152 Wing Stay to attach a wing to the Savage. This plate is made of our Highest Grade Quasi 4mm Carbon Fiber so it will last forever and take anything you can throw at it. This plate will handle any upside down landing and tumble you can put your truck threw. This plate can also be drilled to accept any other Wing Stay you want to put on it.

$19.50
Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Rookie

where can u order this plate?

PRC184 - HPI Savage X, XL, FLUX Wing Mount Plate. this is the plate
Old 11-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wild248man View Post
where can u order this plate?

PRC184 - HPI Savage X, XL, FLUX Wing Mount Plate. this is the plate
Here: