Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
big block mgt 3.0 eating diffs...... > big block mgt 3.0 eating diffs......

big block mgt 3.0 eating diffs......

Old 07-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default big block mgt 3.0 eating diffs......

hey guys my neighbor has a diff hungry 3.0 mgt . he put a big block axial .28 rr in . now he cant seem to keep diffs in it.is there some sort of mod to keep them together?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

the mgt 3.0 diffs are quite touchy. Especially with that big engine in it. I've had problems with my own diffs, and I still have the stock motor in it. My advice is to take time, and shim pretty much everything in your diff. Make sure there is no play anywhere, and grease it all up good. The outdrives on the diff are a pain in the butt. Make sure you put thread locker on the set screws. thats the main part that i've had problems with, is the outdrives. There is no hopup for this that i have found. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tinman13 View Post
the mgt 3.0 diffs are quite touchy. Especially with that big engine in it. I've had problems with my own diffs, and I still have the stock motor in it. My advice is to take time, and shim pretty much everything in your diff. Make sure there is no play anywhere, and grease it all up good. The outdrives on the diff are a pain in the butt. Make sure you put thread locker on the set screws. thats the main part that i've had problems with, is the outdrives. There is no hopup for this that i have found. Good luck.
can you link me to the shims so I can get him going?........did you decied on a streeter yet ???....you have a pm...
Old 07-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

I haven't found any direct link to get shims. It seems as though there is not alot of support for this truck. Its not the most popular because it doesn't fit in any race class. My advice to try and buy an entire new diff and work with your extra parts and shims in there. Thats seems a bit ridiculous but, parts are cheap for this truck. I bought 2 entire diff sets on ebay for 15 dollars. Sorry i can't help more, Im sort of new to this truck myself.

Though thats the only problem i've had with it so far is diffs.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

yes i agree with the weak diffs in the 3.0!

i had blown the two of mine apart before i even started to lean out the engine during break in.

what i did for shims was just salvage the flat washers from the old gears and add them with the new washers in the set. soo far so good ...
but it's just a small truck , i was wanting to try a picco .21 in it ...
Old 07-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Here is a link to how to shim the mgt diffs and what to get: http://www.monstergt.com/articles/tr..._diff_shim.php
I have done this and since this is for the big MGT's this is not exactly the way to do it (the mini mgt is less complicated) it should be really easy, it was for me and I'm a pretty big noob!