Year old gas?

Reply

Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 PM
  #1  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (27)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 816
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Year old gas?

Hey guys, I have half a gallon of Byron's 20% (opened) that's been sitting at room temp for about a year.

My truck starts up but runs kind of funny. Died a few times, but would restart.

Is that over the limit for fuel storage??

Thanks
spawn_x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 PM
  #2  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
savtraxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Newcastle AUS.
Posts: 297
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

use it to kill the weeds
or chick it out
definately get new stuff thats way too old
savtraxx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (53)
 
kman16jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa,Fl.
Posts: 4,006
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

+1
kman16jr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 PM
  #4  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
BigBellyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 443
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by savtraxx View Post
use it to kill the weeds
or chick it out
definately get new stuff thats way too old
I've got half a liter of 25% nitro fuel thats even sitting in its can already open for more than a year. Its not good anymore ya?

Ok, i'll chuck it out...thanks for the advise
BigBellyCat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 AM
  #5  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (10)
 
RDOUBLEDAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 654
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

i had some old stuff it was fun to blow up. Just chunk it on the fire and stand out the way.
RDOUBLEDAY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 AM
  #6  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
BigBellyCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 443
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RDOUBLEDAY View Post
i had some old stuff it was fun to blow up. Just chunk it on the fire and stand out the way.
I filled it up in an old water pistol and played flamethrower. Bad idea...hahahaha
BigBellyCat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 AM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
 
helibrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 801
Default

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat View Post
I filled it up in an old water pistol and played flamethrower. Bad idea...hahahaha
Heh....yeah bad idea alright.

Anywho...to the OP, you might want to try some fresh fuel to see how your truck runs before you throw out your old bottle. Could just be your tune or something.

I've had 4 year old fuel that stored very well and performed no different than fuel out of a "fresh" bottle. Then again, I've had fuel that sludged up over the winter and would barely pour. Depends on the fuel and how it's stored.
helibrian is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:57 PM
  #8  
Tech Apprentice
 
tinman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Onatio
Posts: 96
Default

Yah i agree with Helibrian, I've had gas thats been stored for well over a year, and it seems fine to me. Keep everything in mind, might be setting, check fuel lines, carb, all that. But hell, it could be the gas too. Maybe some gas stores better then others, not quite sure. When is the last time you ran your truck? Was it sitting as long as your gas was? If so, restart, try and work through it. New gas, may not hurt.
tinman13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 PM
  #9  
Registered User
iTrader: (20)
 
UltegraSTI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,171
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

works great as paint stripper (its original purpose).

mess up that new lexan lid, bust it out and start over. resto an old body on a vintage RC. there's ur bogey.

R
UltegraSTI is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MT
Posts: 30
Default

If you have a bug problem, like an ants nest, pour fuel over them - will kill them instantly!
erevo18 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 PM
  #11  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (70)
 
Wanabrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bay area, California
Posts: 4,828
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by helibrian View Post
I've had 4 year old fuel that stored very well and performed no different than fuel out of a "fresh" bottle. Then again, I've had fuel that sludged up over the winter and would barely pour. Depends on the fuel and how it's stored.
+1 I have some fuel that has been store in my cool garage for over 2+yrs (lost track). I poured some in a car I sold just to make sure it ran fine and it fired right up and drove fine.
Wanabrc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:07 PM
  #12  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MA
Posts: 72
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by helibrian View Post
Heh....yeah bad idea alright.

Anywho...to the OP, you might want to try some fresh fuel to see how your truck runs before you throw out your old bottle. Could just be your tune or something.

I've had 4 year old fuel that stored very well and performed no different than fuel out of a "fresh" bottle. Then again, I've had fuel that sludged up over the winter and would barely pour. Depends on the fuel and how it's stored.
I'm with this post.

I had a open gallon of byrons gen 2 in the back seat floor for almost 1 year. Over that time I had seen it puffed up to the point the cap was to blow off and that winter the opposite and condensation many times. I left it there thinking it was pure junk and Id toss it over a trash fire at work one of the times it was truck cleaning day.. Well I ran it in late April this year caz I forgot a fresh bottle at home. Not the best lol but it ran held a tune and didn't flame out. I was amazed! I store cases all year long in the proper conditions w/o issues ever. But this was all the don'ts and it ran! Sold me on byrons for life..
Bankrupter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:10 PM
  #13  
Tech Initiate
 
FLASH1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: my own little world
Posts: 48
Default

The Traxxas fuel I have is about 6 years old and I've gone through a few tanks using it. It seems ok.
FLASH1970 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 AM
  #14  
Tech Apprentice
 
jab917's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: G-TOWN, ct
Posts: 71
Default

Originally Posted by FLASH1970 View Post
The Traxxas fuel I have is about 6 years old and I've gone through a few tanks using it. It seems ok.
yea i have the exact same thing. i have it in the metal jug and its just been chillin in my basement to a point where its just caked with dust. makes the engine purrrrr haha
jab917 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:40 AM
  #15  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (7)
 
roychan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 8,205
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

For any nitro, it's good to give it a shake (bottle) when you use it.
roychan69 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service