Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Burnt the Slipper? >

Burnt the Slipper?

Burnt the Slipper?

Old 05-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Burnt the Slipper?

anybody else burn the slipper clutch out on their Savage Flux HP? I've had maybe 4 runs on this thing and it's like completely gone... as in no clutch plate there just the metal backer which has a gouge in it from the spur scraping on it. I don't know if the whole 6s thing brutalized it or what lol... just got my Hyperion packs in today and it flew! for a lil bit ... smelled like a burnt rubber smell, traced it down to center trans case and pulled it out and inspected it and found that the slipper was completely gone just little shreds on the inside of the spur that look like it was sprayed apart like confetti lol.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

try tightening your slipper clutch seems me like its too loose.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Replace the pad and the slipper plate as well (plate thats gouged). It either was too loose to start with or ran loose and destroyed the pad. With 6S, this is stressed enough that if you start out with anything wrong or less than new (like a worn and polished slipper plate), its going to prob fail again.

I replace the plate, pad, spring and lock nut everytime I fool with mine. I also run only 1/8 - 1/4T backed off from tight versus a full 1/2t as HPI recommends. I also use blue loctite on the shaft and give it ample time to cure before using.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Tech Initiate

So i replaced the slipper, ran it out only 1/4 of a turn and reset up my radio ( it was kinda backwards on tuning before after i had reset throttle to reverse w/ new radio using my Futaba 2.4 now ) and it did double flips from hard take off lol... but burnt another clutch. hmm...
Old 06-03-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Try less than 1/4t next time. Like I said earlier, if the slipper has any 'weakness' (used parts, polished slipper plate, etc), it will likely fail again. These are under a lot of stress, its a fine line between OK and burnt..
Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

dont worry thats pretty common right out of the box