Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Savage x to flux conversion. >

Savage x to flux conversion.

Savage x to flux conversion.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)
Default Savage x to flux conversion.

Ok so I have everything on order and am disassembling the truck and getting everything ready. I will get you pictures when i get it all ready tomorrow and torn down and starting the build process. Here is the list of items that i have ordered:

Products ordered
SKU Product Item price Quantity Total
SKU17630 HPI Heavy Duty Cup Joint 6x13x20 #86276 $6.69 1 $6.69
SKU17631 HPI Heavy Duty Cup Joint 8x14x19 (Silver 2pcs) #86277 $6.69 1 $6.69
SKU17469 HPI HD DRIVE GEAR 18-23 TOOTH (1M) #102514 $11.09 1 $11.09
SKU17623 HPI Battery Box Mount/Cover Set #100909 $6.69 1 $6.69
SKU17449 HPI Battery Box Set (Right/Left) #100908 $15.75 1 $15.75
SKU17686 HPI Flanged Lock Nut M5x8mm Black #Z680 $2.79 1 $2.79
SKU17442 HPI Idler Gear 44t/Shaft Set #100905 $5.06 1 $5.06
SKU17446 HPI Motor Mount Plate 3.0mm (7075/Gray) #100906 $11.15 1 $11.15
SKU17445 HPI Motor Mount Plate 8mm(Gray) #100903 $22.25 1 $22.25
SKU17538 HPI Savage Wheelie Bar Set #85245 $13.35 1 $13.35
SKU68689 Introductory offer - TCS 5mm Chassis for HPI Savage Flux (Red) $19.99 1 $19.99
SKU17799 Novak Hardened Steel Pinion Gear 5mm Shaft Mod 1 3-Pack (18/19/20t) #5123 $13.60 1 $13.60
SKU17462 HPI Savage Flux HP GT-2 Body Painted #102219 $30.59 1 $30.59
SKU17504 HPI Red Shock Spring 14.5x117x1.2mm #6743 $3.89 2 $7.78
Subtotal: $173.47
Shipping cost: $13.35
Total: $186.82

This is all from TCScrawlers.com. It converts my 2 speed into a 1 speed flux tranny (but i will still have the 2 speed and break assembly for when i really want to do a few high speed runs with my 2x3s lipo setup for speed. It will strengthen the cups for my drivetrain (dogbones will unfortunately have to com a bit later as i have already spent way to much on this conversion since i got taxes back ), and the Motor/ESC i will be using is an EZrun 150 amp ESC and the Flux Tork motor. I will essentially have savage flux with a different ESC and a few different parts/upgrades. I got the motor/ESC for $180 shipped thanks to a memeber over at RCTech.net More updates soon to come when i hopefully have my parts tomorrow and pictures as well.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

you NEED to change the diff for the bullet proof ones from hpi
i did an upgrade to my savage x when the monstere first came out and there was no diff strong enough to hold up to 6 cell lipo till the newest one now.
i used ofna modled foams inside off dirt bones tires because the original foams turn to dust real fast with the lipos
my truck is the green gravedigger on the electric 1/8 page on this site
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rc everywhere View Post
you NEED to change the diff for the bullet proof ones from hpi
i did an upgrade to my savage x when the monstere first came out and there was no diff strong enough to hold up to 6 cell lipo till the newest one now.
i used ofna modled foams inside off dirt bones tires because the original foams turn to dust real fast with the lipos
my truck is the green gravedigger on the electric 1/8 page on this site
Yeah i already spent about $100 more then i should have on this conversion so those will have to wait. One of my diff's is a bit upgraded as i snapped 4 teeth of a gear when it was nitro. I am hoping i can get away with it running on 4s for a while until i have a bit more money to get a good 6s set and upgrade a few other things like all my dogbones and diff's
Old 04-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

maybe 4 cell might help .... these things are soooo violent when they start to crash that i even lost a battery that cost me close to 200 $ ( swollen after run)
don't get me wrong there is NOTHING that comes close to the power of these things.
and the savage is the best bet for durability.
the guys with e-maxx brushless need a shovel to pick up thier parts after the flip outs , i have yet to brake any plastic on my savage brushless no matter what ... besides diff's, foams, esc's ... lol,
and my e-maxx is brushed and is breaking constantly the way i use it

and as for the tranny and the 44 tooth gear to lock it in first...
hpi just came out with a solid gear to put instead so it will be locked in second gear all the time.
so if you thought is was fast before... the bullet proof gears for the diff need to be changed as a pair because they to change the ratio to a higher speed gearing!
the new gears are completly different from the old,
i picked up a pair and the new sway bar set but didn't try it yet, need another three cell or two that match i should say. i'm way over budget on this one.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah i am a bit over budget on this build and the wife is a little annoyed right now as we are looking at getting drift cars (few friends/family) to play with ($200 max on the drift cars xD lol)

well the big parts listed about is installed and ready to go except 2 things. The wheelie bar cam missing all the screws and the bearings and the "RED" shock springs are a BRIGHT *** orange... kind of annoying. messaged and waiting to hear back from TSC on these issues. I will have pics up tonight when i get a chance to post them. And i do apologize in advanced they were taken with my Blackberry and not our MIA digital camera
Old 04-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

you wasted a bit of money on some parts you didn't need, don't let the wife know.

Actually wasted a lot of money as I look over it... :O shoulda jus bought a new flux and kept the X together!!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR View Post
you wasted a bit of money on some parts you didn't need, don't let the wife know.

Actually wasted a lot of money as I look over it... :O shoulda jus bought a new flux and kept the X together!!
Thanks for telling me what i need and didn't need :P sorry not to be an ass but i NEEDED the drive cups, body, HD drive gear, flanged lock nuts, wheelie bar even if i was to keep it in a running condition as a savage x as all that is worn out/busted on my X. and i can't spend an hour to drive to pick up a gallon of fuel for $40 just to drive my car for 3-4 days and go get more fuel. adds up a lot faster then this conversion did especially since i already have the batteries just laying here.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Oh and the Used motor is selling for $100+ on ebay right now as well
Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

yah we could get into a real nitro/ brushless debate but how about we just show off our creations. this is a hobby man, each side has it points and have all the fuels and rc's to burn them up so i love them all.

this is my savage x monster.
i built it back before the flux was even a wisper on any tougnes so parts and ideas where rare!
somehow my good lhs got me a 44 tooth gear to lock the tranny even before hpi had the flux on the site.
i say good lhs store because i used to go to laval and got ripped off on a bad esc that should have been warrantied( first model...all bullet connectors)
then my second esc burned up after a short run and castle blammed my batteries! soo i need new batteries ... now... but my third esc is still smelling nice, which is more that i can say for the closet the second esc is in! lol

what was that about budget ????

Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

sorry for my failing at pictures but here is a side shot of it pit together with the body on. I have to take it apart again so i will be getting better build pictures as my camera on my phone SUCKS more then i thought it did.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc everywhere View Post
Wow! That's a BEAUTIFUL...... Piece of art. I'd certainly display it on a self in my living room, but I sure wouldn't bash it.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

ya those phones are packed with soo much stuff ... most of it just to say it has it ...
i got lucky with my camera , i got it free with a printer a couple years ago.
a 5.0 mega pixel but the video doens't work more than 8 seconds. so they gave them away!

thanks capcrunch! i know what you mean, unfortunatly it will get broken in this summer but instanly put away if it starts to be too much fun .. lol

i have enough savages to bash and collect dust at the same time

i was soo mad about my lipo getting little puffed out on one side that i did some checking on the internet and found little facts from poeple and as long as it's not leaking fluid and still charges ok ...
i put it outside pluged to a car battery for power and my charger set to normal 1 c for the battery and it charged fine. i've used it and recharged and still ok.
i brought to work today and showed of for ten minutes one the pavement and got a sever cause of road rash. hahaha

i also put in the bulletproof gears front and back, the 39 tooth solid tranny gear instead of 44, the sway bar set and i made i set of rear protectors from left over body trim pieces i just can never seem to finish finding uses for.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

... i think i want to put the 44 gear back in ...
even with the 17 and 47 outside, the 39 on the inside of the tranny makes it
CRAZZY fast ...
one of my ofna premolded foams ripped and there is a gap as you go around the tire, striaght like it came unglued ???
it vibates REALY bad now !!! damage to truck eminet !!! but that is normal as soon as you start using them , lol
Old 08-14-2013, 04:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im in the middle of my conversion. Is there a better ESC & Motor than the Blur esc & 2200 stock motor? I can get it on the bay for $240.00.