Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
HPI Savage Flux vs HPI Baja 5b2.0 > HPI Savage Flux vs HPI Baja 5b2.0

HPI Savage Flux vs HPI Baja 5b2.0

Old 03-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HPI Savage Flux vs HPI Baja 5b2.0

What would you recommend out of these two? Once you account in the price of lipos and a charger, they cost almost the same amount. Gas is nothing new to me, and I would use this for strictly bashing. How strong are those Bajas? I'm not a hard core basher either. All opinions and comments are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)

i have savage for sale i think savage is one of the first bashers ever couse its stock almost unkileble
Old 03-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 304 (100%+)

I've had both and honestly the Baja is a completely different ball park and vastly superior. You're not at the mercy of temperamental electronics, the engine is reliable and easy to work on, and tough... well my wife ran her Baja straight into mine at full throttle today, I'm up for one of these and that's it on hers, mine is fine.

http://powerslideracing.com.au/index...roducts_id=107

I'm a bit confused how ppl can say something is the best basher out and then have one for sale :P

PS I do NOT have a Baja for sale.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Baja does nothing for me, I would rather have my flux way over it.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you have a good bash place for a Baja, go for it. You will not regret it. If you're in more of an urban area get a Flux.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have both and live in the city. Baja needs far more area to run in than the Flux and I've 'chatted' with the constable over my Baja's noise. I have to take the Baja somewhere else to run, outside the city in a big area where noise doesn't bother anyone. The Flux doesn't have those probs and I can run it here at the house or in the city park behind me with out anyone complaining or apparently even noticing.

We're not long before moving outside city limits to get away from the high taxes so my Baja will see a lot more use. I don't regret buying it, its still an awesome rc.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Tech Addict

I loved my Flux. Never did any electric monster truck I own in my RC hobby years did it fill in the gaps most other electric MTs do. Most especially in the speed and bashability/toughness category. It was perfect for the BMX offroad track in our nearby park.

Now I have seen Bajas run also in the same park. They command attention! They are big and noisy! There is no way you will miss a Baja when they are running. They cover areas really fast. They are the RCs when ordinary people see them as "Big Boys Toys". There is no doubt they are tough. One most important thing is, you don't need to even tune the engine that much. I seee those Baja owners enjoy burning up a tank full of gas and don't even fiddle with anything on the engine.

But I can see clearly on that I won't own a Baja. One, for it's size. We just live in an apartment complex and I won't have a space to store one not to mention all it's gears. Next, tagging along a big baja with fuel at hand. The park where I run is just nearby and carrying a Flux alone is already a chore for me.

Consider everything before buying either one. In any case, you won't be dissapointed for sure .
Old 05-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

After owning both, a Flux last year and a 5T this year, im starting to think about going back to a Flux. I've compiled my personal experience comparison with pro's and con's last night and im trying to decide what to do.

HPI Baja 5T

Pluses:

Very long run times
Awesome noise/smell factor
Attracts a lot of attention
Big and bad
Can be drivin in wet/cold weather with no adverse effects
Nothing else like it
2WD is pretty fun

Minuses:

Expensive to maintain
Not able to jump very high
More prone to breakage and costly repairs
Constant need to be checked, cleaned
Heavy and bulky to move and carry around
Oil/gas spills can be a real mess
Hard to find area's decent enough to run in
Noise factor increases chance of annoying people
Noise factor also decrease's areas can be run in
Takes longer to clean
Tires wear out quicker
Tuning can be become problematic
Constant need for air filter to be checked/cleaned
No reverse
Large and complex to work on
Difficult to find decent area's to run in
FM radio needs to be upgraded
Bodies are expensive to buy and paint
Concrete wears out tires quickly
Dogboots wear out fast
Drive out of town for non ethanol gas
Requires large area to work on
Hard to land jumps correctly, not mid air controllable
Engine will require rebuild after awhile
Requires more upfront cost for durable parts
2WD harder to control

HPI Savage Flux HP

Pluses:

Very fast, agile
Very durable
Can take extreme punishment
Can do insane jumps and landings
Able to be controlled in mid air
No noise pollution to worry about
Can climb pratically anywhere/anything
Cheaper to maintain
Can be programmed via PC *nerd points!*
Parts are usually cheaper
Tires last longer
Smaller and easier to move around
Has reverse
Less complex to work on
No airfilter maintenance
Includes decent 2.4ghz radio and bulletproof diffs now
Easier to bash with Lee's Stampede
Cheap, paintable bodies
Can wheelie easily
Can easily be driven on concrete
Able to be run in variety of area's
No dogboots to maintain
Takes up less workbench space
4WD brushless powa!

Minuses

Lipo's can be expensive and require babying
Shorter run times
Not the same "cool" factor as Baja
Not as fun to work on/tweak
6S Lipo could result in more part breakages
Running in wet/cold weather not recommended
Requires expensive charger
Needs more batteries for longer run times
Old 05-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

i would go with flux or flux 5b converted to 5b its 4x4 and i would do some hill climbs and its 4x4 whitch makes it controleble and faster
Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Rookie

I have an erevo brushless and a baja 5t. The erevo is pretty similar to the savage flux, they are both brushless monster trucks that are way over powered. They are very cool, but i got the baja 5t this year and I don't even care about the erbe or savages anymore. I don't care if they can go 60mph or jump ten feet in the air. Once you go baja, you will regret buying your other rc's. The baja, behave much closer to full scale which makes them a lot more fun. Even when they are just going 40mph or less, they are pretty quick. There are a lot more options for doing builds and customizing your truck too with the bajas.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I have my flux converted to 5th scale using the TCS crawlers kit. Its got tons of power and drives like a dream plus its still retaining mostly savage parts which are legendarily tough. I have cartwheeled this thing down hills plenty of times and only thing broken after 10 sets of lipos was a shock end which was completely my fault. Advantages are its electric so its quiet, but its still quite big since its not the same size as a baja 5b. 4wd makes it awesome though. I would say go with the flux, if you end up really liking it and have a bit of room, convert it to 5th scale like I did. Its awesome.

PS, with the new castle motors out my next project is a brushless 5t conversion
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sadly, i'm just becoming more frustrated with my 5T. It's requiring more money to maintain and fix then I thought a Baja would be and im having a harder time justifying the costs in owning one. I'm constantly feeling like I have to "baby" the thing to prevent more broken parts like my two week old TFE bearings failing in my DDM clutch carrier. My Flux just took pounding after pounding after upgrading the arms to RPM's. I'm drawn to the Baja for the "coolness" factor but the cost is starting to outweigh that. I'm so torn, I dunno what to do. We'll see if anyone buys it first...

Last edited by Freezebyte; 07-25-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Tech Elite

On my flux I went full speed into garage and not even one part broke then I went another time full speed into side walk and nothing
Old 07-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 304 (100%+)

I've had both, the Flux is fun but is hampered by a dicky ESC

I can thrash the living s#it out of the Baja and no dramas the Flux would fry an ESC, balloon a battery, grind a pinion or god knows what else.

The Baja is just another level, stepping out of the whole "kids toys" stereotype.

No contest.

*Freezebyte you know why you break stuff on your Baja? HPI KARMA MATE!
Old 07-25-2010, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (96%+)

I've also went both routes as most ppl here. BL MT and the 1/5th scale. Personally it's all up to you, my biggest issue with the Baja is the drivetrain, not the actual durability of the car. They are MONSTERS and absolutely a blast to drive. I don't see how Freeze can say they are high maintenance stock, because they are anything but. They go all day w/o having to tweak or worry about breaking. You can take them to a huge grass play field and not worry about overheating your electric MT or going slow because the grass isn't mowed like a fairway on a golf course. Something you can't do with a Flux or ERBE.

Here's why I got rid of my Baja though. The second, and I mean second you add a lot of power to them they become a HUGE massive enormous money pit. CONSTANT drivetrain issues. What do you have to do? Spend ridiculous amounts on shitty Turtle Racing hop ups that should have been done from the factory at HPI. The Pinion bolt / clutch bell setup is the worst I have ever seen on a 1/5th scale, or in general. They snap constantly under power. The mounting setup on the Baja's engine isn't strong enough stock to handle anymore power than what the 26cc stock puts out with an SS pipe.

If you plan on going stock for a long time, or don't mind droppin some money, go Baja If you are on a tighter budget in the long run, go Flux/ERBE.

Here's a little example of hop up prices... They are ridiculous.

Turtle Racing Clutch System - 200$ (mandatory with power)
Any good pipe - 250$
Tires - 120$ for rims/rubber (if you're lucky this low)
ANYTHING aluminum - minimum 50$ for a piece that doesn't really add strength (cough Turtle Racing rip offs again)
The mandatory (seriously) Outerwears you HAVE to buy - 40$ for air filter and pull start.
Killer Bee Switch - Mandatory because you don't want a 25lbs car running away. 65$

The initial cost of the Baja will be well over the Flux if you go the correct route and buy the things needed for it that aren't included by HPI.

I'm sure I'm missing something, I'll add it later while I'm at work.. gotta run now... freaking work at 5:45 in the morning PFFFFFFFF.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service