Kyosho MFR GXR18 engine trouble.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyosho MFR GXR18 engine trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Kyosho MFR GXR18 engine trouble.

Having issues keeping my MFR running, got it for christmas and couldn't keep it running even to break it in (in my basement). First start attempt and it turned right over and let it sit and idle for a full tank, second attempt to start it and couldn't get it to turn over. Took it to Hobbytown and they sent it out and their "guy" broke in the engine and got it running. Got it home and it fired right up. Second attempt to start it and the engine turned over, started and out of the blue rev'd as if i had the throttle wide open, had to plug the exhaust to stop it. The throttle was closed the entire time, and now i can't get it to turn over, I've tried new glow plugs and haven't messed with the HSN or LSN at all. Now I'm thinking of just giving up on the GXR engine and putting in a O.S. cvrx18. Any suggestions?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sounds like an air leak, and a bad one. This kind of trouble is why I seal even a brand new engine.

If its still under warranty, I'd talk to the lhs about whats going on and see what they advise. If warranty is over, then I'd pull it and get some sensor safe rtv at auto sote and seal the carb, carb pinch bolt and backplate. Then try again.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Thats sounds like a possibility. The kyosho pullstart that I installed can't be tightened down all the way because it binds up the pull start (3rd kyosho pullstart i've gone through, can't wait till the tigerdrive arrives), had some afterun oil leak out of the pull start so i know its not sealed. Guess I'm going to have to punt on the GXR engine and go ahead and order the O.S. CVRX18 I've been looking at.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Sure sounds like the engine you got has been a disappointment.

I've had good luck from the GXR28 in my GT so far, but I sealed it as soon as I got it out of the box.

The OS should provide a better experience. All the OS engines I've had have been good ones.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Everything I've read about the O.S. engines has been extremely positive. I'm very new to Nitro's, the MFR being my first. As with most other products your bound to have a bad experience from time to time. I did drive a DBX 2 weeks ago and I know first hand the GXR18 is a powerful engine, but seems it just wasn't meant to be the powerplant in my MFR, lol. Guess I'll keep tinkering with it until I can order the O.S. Engine, Thanks for all your feedback. With a RC community as responsive and helpful as this one, I shouldn't have many more problems I can't find solutions too.