Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Monster truck opinion? >

Monster truck opinion?

Monster truck opinion?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cobra420
i got the lst2 as well . love that thing . i beat the crap out of it and it just ask for more . did the fuel tank mod and the forward only mod . waiting on the sway bar kit to get here . the only complaint i got about the truck is the bumpers . if you pick up the truck from the bumpers the screw will pull through the bumpers . i tried a washer and longer screws but it just strips where the screws go . found some aluminum bumpers on line and mounts . probably next mod .

i was thinking about getting the mgt . saw one on craigs list for a decent price .

was thinking about getting the O.S. 30VG (P) ES Electric Start for my lst2 . anyone ever use one ? what do you guys think ?
os 30 is crap...

i say the big red .28 or a picco 28 hands down
Old 04-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's always the person who tuned the engine that made the difference.

I ran the OS30VG ES/PS, it win hands down on low end torque and top end speed, and my Savage is very fast regardless of bashing or racing on a track.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Rookie

thats true about tuning . i tried tuning my buggy once and i couldnt get it to start again . so now i leave it to the guys at the shop . the engine in my lst still works fine . im just looking for more , power , speed , etc.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roychan69
It's always the person who tuned the engine that made the difference.

I ran the OS30VG ES/PS, it win hands down on low end torque and top end speed, and my Savage is very fast regardless of bashing or racing on a track.
you possibly got a good one...trust me... go look on other forums everyone hates the thing... it sucks thats why its not being made...i mean the hobby is too exspensive to waste your money on motors...i would rather go with a motor with a better reputation then take a chance on one with a bad rep
Old 04-13-2010, 05:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reggie l.
you possibly got a good one...trust me... go look on other forums everyone hates the thing... it sucks thats why its not being made...i mean the hobby is too exspensive to waste your money on motors...i would rather go with a motor with a better reputation then take a chance on one with a bad rep
Well, the OS is more popular in the Asia I must say...

Right now I'm still happy with the engine, I've read the OS30 might not last that long, but never mind, I had an OS V-Spec.21 that I've raced 20 times, not once it had caused me DNF (did not finish) and it is still running great now, so I trust the brand.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Rookie

os is a big brand . no doubt about that . it looks like the majority says go with the BIG RED motor . wich is cheaper by 100 bucks lol . anyone know of a web stie that does reviews on rc engines ? rc car action mag will do reviews on cars and other equipment but i havent seen any done on rc engines . have a test buggy / truggy / monster truck and start testing engines .
Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

O.S. makes awesome engines. Some of the best. The RC car market is tiny compared the the plane market. O.S. makes some of the best if not the best airplane motors.

As far as their car/truck motors, I have never used one, but my friends who have are more than happy with them. The OS 30 has a lot of grunt and is easy to tune.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whipnet
O.S. makes awesome engines. Some of the best. The RC car market is tiny compared the the plane market. O.S. makes some of the best if not the best airplane motors.

As far as their car/truck motors, I have never used one, but my friends who have are more than happy with them. The OS 30 has a lot of grunt and is easy to tune.

+1 os is great
Old 04-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Tech Champion

The best part of an O.S. 30VG is they are easy to tune, and hold it's tune well, minimum tuning or at all after you have got it right.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default XXL vs MGT 8.0

I myself am also looking to get into nitro rc. I have narrowed it down to the XXL and 8.0 MGT. I am going to list what I have learned to show where I stand.

The XXL has a great layout design, is incredibly durable, and has a long history since the lst. It comes with many quality parts like the shocks, engine, and telemetry transmitter/receiver.
Price: $670 from everywhere

The MGT 8.0 looks to me as a lower quality product for the price. It looks crammed unlike the xxl. The engine seems to perform well though. I am just not familiar with this truck or Team Associated but it seems they are a good brand.
Price:$478 ($460 + $18 shipping) from http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ASC20502&click=3

But how about actual performance? I have seen a couple of videos where the MGT 8.0 cant even keep its front wheels on the ground because of so much power but have never seen a video of a losi XXL pulling off a wheelie. I know it has to deal with the tuning precision but I still cant find any wheelies of an XXL.

Here is one video of the MGT 8.0 doing wheelies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=694c5ch88-k
Old 04-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Tech Champion

A Losi XXL is a better truck compare to a Associated MGT8.0/Thunder Tiger Sledge Hammer, in terms of quality and build.

But course the price difference is huge...

If you're running it occasionally or weekend bashing, the MGT will do as good.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If wheelies is what you're looking for, ANY RC can be geared to wheelie...
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wink

Originally Posted by Cadimman
So are you saying that the mgt 8.0 just has a lower first gear than the xxl? It just looked like the mgt 8.0 had a lot more power.

For example if you take my rustler vxl on 3s lipo vs a stock rustler xl-5 on a 6 cell pack they can both wheelie at the very beginning if the xl-5 is geared right. But then when the vxl will be coasting at 40mph and you gun it it will still do wheelies and the xl-5 wont even reach that speed.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cadimman
Tell that to my AX10.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by whipnet
Tell that to my AX10.

LOL good one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.