Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Monster truck opinion? >

Monster truck opinion?

Monster truck opinion?

Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

I have owned pretty much every monster truck on the market. The only truck that I never had one single problem with was my LST2, and it was the best running truck, easiest to tune. If I had the extra cash I would for sure get another one.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I also have owned everything on the the market and theres only one truck I would recomend to anyone. LST2/XXL A++ in design, toughness,reliabilty.
Bare in mind, My XXL and LST2 are both Brushless so there even better than nitro !

The Savage is a tough truck, no denying. But also tough to work on with the TVPs and cramped radio box design,suspension pin design has something to be desired as well.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bondonutz
I also have owned everything on the the market and theres only one truck I would recomend to anyone. LST2/XXL A++ in design, toughness,reliabilty.
Bare in mind, My XXL and LST2 are both Brushless so there even better than nitro !

The Savage is a tough truck, no denying. But also tough to work on with the TVPs and cramped radio box design,suspension pin design has something to be desired as well.

LST2 for sure. I have a Revo 3.3 BL conversion as well......no where near as good. Also the Savage is a diff nightmare and handles like a bus on the track. My buddies truck is a good .5-1 sec slower per lap.....just can't handle the turns and jumps as well as the Revo. The LST2 is even faster then my Revo....same system, same tires......faster lap times....love it.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

I have 2 EREVOs as well, love them both and I think the revos handle a little better than the ELST's due to being a little lighter and a much lower COG.
I installed XXL diffs in both ERevos,all RPM and titanium links and I break the LSTs more than the Erevos, go figure ?
I race with neither, bash only.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

I have 2 EREVOs as well, love them both and I think the revos handle a little better than the ELST's due to being a little lighter and a much lower COG.
I installed XXL diffs in both ERevos,all RPM and titanium links and I break the LSTs more than the Erevos, go figure ?
I race with neither, bash only.

I got the opposite with my LST2. My laptimes went down swapping from the Revo 3.3 BL to the LST2. Much better handling and handles the rough sections better. I'm using all carbon fiber decks and towers so the weight is the same as the Revo BL.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

I fully realize we had different results, thats why I posted what I did. Also mentioned I bash my LST2's/Erevos only

This might be a real REVO Killer then ??

Muggified LST2, Losi Smart center diff,Tekin 2000kv/M.M.M and 5s

Waiting on another shock tower then it's test and track time.

When I have time I will start a thread on this build.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Tech Master

I fully realize we had different results, thats why I posted what I did. Also mentioned I bash my LST2's/Erevos only

This might be a real REVO Killer then ??

Muggified LST2, Losi Smart center diff,Tekin 2000kv/M.M.M and 5s

Waiting on another shock tower then it's test and track time.

When I have time I will start a thread on this build.

I wanted to do a Losi center diff,but it is illegal for the MT class so I had to keep a tranny. But other then that the truck is awesome.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Squidward
I hope that sentence wasn't referring to me. After all, I was quoted by you. BTW, I'm strictly a basher.

Let me tell you a little story. Years ago I was given an original T-Maxx. When I received it the front bulkhead and shock tower were broken. The hingepins were bent, too. I repaired it with the intent to sell it to make a quick buck but I played with it and found that it was a fun little truck, just rather fragile. Fast forward some 8 years and I still have that T-Maxx as well as an E-Maxx, a parts T-Maxx, and an E-Revo. Traxxas hater? Moi? Hardly. Now, the thing is, at one point I couldn't run a full tank through my T-Maxx without breaking it somehow. I was going through front bulkheads left and right. Glad they come in pairs, no? Not only that, but, at one point I aborted a run at a 15" tall ramp, slamming the brakes at the last possible moment and rolling gently over the edge of it. Broke a front bulkhead. I got to the point where a shock rebuild involved CA glue so that I would avoid blowing the shock caps on my first or second landing from a jump.

Want further evidence? I can't seem to find it right now but I recall seeing a thread recently where the person had just bought a new T-Maxx and was asking what he should upgrade on it to make it more fun. Most everyone told him to buy new aluminum bulkheads and shock towers right off the bat. Gee, that's a bullet-proof truck when people tell you to upgrade a perfectly good, brand new part on it before you've even had a chance to break in the engine.

Am I biased? Hardly. More like experienced. Maybe I just run my stuff harder than most average folks, but when I'm jumping an otherwise stock Revo (with Traxxas BB conversion) 15+ feet into the air and landing it some 25+ feet away from the ramp and not breaking anything, you would expect a monster truck from the same company to be able to handle smaller jumps, too, wouldn't you? In case you think that I had a bad truck, my nephew was given a T-Maxx, too, a year or two later. My brother took his son out to play with it after they broke in the engine and came back with the fuel tank almost full, broken bulkhead, and blown shocks. What did he do? He ran it down a short flight of stairs (four steps). My brother gave that truck away a week later because he just got frustrated with it.

In a different forum I recall replying to an inquiry about whether the poster should get a T-Maxx or a Savage. I told him most of what I typed here and he still went with the T because of the awesome aftermarket support for this truck. He later reported that, during break-in, he gently rolled his truck at the end of his driveway and broke a shock tower on his second tank of fuel.

Tough truck? Hardly. Not by my experience at least. I'm sure that there are others who would share my sentiment.
All of my comments weren't directed towards you. The last couple sentences were general statements. You took offense to something that wasn't meant for you at all.

The Traxxas vehicles, including the T-Maxx are very, very tough. You and your friends might have problems with them, but look all over the internet and you will see people who think their T-Maxx is the toughest truck they've owned. Of course they're going to break - everything breaks! This is especially true when you push them past their limits. It's just different people experiencing different problems. That's why some people love the same companies that other people hate. It all comes down to your experiences with them.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool Traxxas

I guess it really depends on how hard you push your MT.

My first truck was as T-maxx 2.5 years ago. I quickly realized how durable this truck was when i played with it (after break in) and it lost the radio signal from a distance. The truck was traveling maybe 20mph and hit a curb stop at my old apartment building, it flew a distance and landed, then was caught by a pine tree before heading into 4 lanes of traffic. No damage except a fouled plug, I found out about the fail-safe when i went to get a replacement. I hated the tuning for the nitro, I live in michigan so it could be 75 and sunny one day and 30 with a foot of snow the next. I sold the truck because I was broke, and getting married .

My latest truck I bought about a year ago...E-maxx.
I talked my buddy into getting a mt with me, he bought a t-maxx 2.5 (cheaper)
i warned him. First minute I drove the emaxx i turned it around at the end of my driveway and started steering back towards me....I zigged instead of zagged and hit my 12" block landscape retaining wall. Broke the front bumper, 2 bulkheads, cracked the body and the skidplate. The following months it became an obsession to upgrade to alloy parts. The two of us started racing at our local track...the emaxx had instant power for the small track and ran circles around the t-maxx. It took me a while to realize that if I was going to be pushing my truck as hard as i was (with novice exp) jumping, flipping, endos, landing topside, and front impact....There was no point in spending hundreds of dollars in alloy parts...they break like plastic and are more expensive to replace. I've also got as much money in shocks as i do batteries. Between "big bore" and "heavy duty" and a mountain of progressive springs I've broken 2 complete sets (16) shocks not including the stock set.

Case in point- I would agree a truck is only as durable as you treat it...I thrash on mine hard....but I almost like working on my MT as i do driving it.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

i run an lst with some upgrades aluminum clutch shoes and 40 series wheels and 23 mm hex adapters and a dynamite 053 pipe tuned motor and its still nitro for now its a beast does 50mph easily wheelies at will and tough too its just an awesome truck so where did u fined the e conversion to ur lst2 and to run a losi center diff im thinking bout doing an e conversion as soon as i bomb my engine it look awsome
Old 02-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
All of my comments weren't directed towards you. The last couple sentences were general statements. You took offense to something that wasn't meant for you at all.

The Traxxas vehicles, including the T-Maxx are very, very tough. You and your friends might have problems with them, but look all over the internet and you will see people who think their T-Maxx is the toughest truck they've owned. Of course they're going to break - everything breaks! This is especially true when you push them past their limits. It's just different people experiencing different problems. That's why some people love the same companies that other people hate. It all comes down to your experiences with them.
Wait, let me get this straight.. YOU HONESTLY think the Tmaxx is a tough truck? Like, 100% cross your heart hope to die honest?!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Tmaxx/Emaxx and even Revos for that matter are "reasonably" tough. Once the truck is out fitted w/RPM and titanium links they are much better but still no matter what you do the diffs are the seriously weak link. Getting to the diffs is a joke, completely ripping apart the half of the truck to get at the diffs sucks, not one of TRX's better designs. I have 2 EREVO's and constantly broke diffs till I installed Losi XXL diffs in the bulkheads and now they are trouble free !
LST2/XXL and Savages are much tougher trucks than the TRX stuff,personal opinion.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Tmaxx/Emaxx and even Revos for that matter are "reasonably" tough. Once the truck is out fitted w/RPM and titanium links they are much better but still no matter what you do the diffs are the seriously weak link. Getting to the diffs is a joke, completely ripping apart the half of the truck to get at the diffs sucks, not one of TRX's better designs. I have 2 EREVO's and constantly broke diffs till I installed Losi XXL diffs in the bulkheads and now they are trouble free !
LST2/XXL and Savages are much tougher trucks than the TRX stuff,personal opinion.
Having to blow money on RPM parts proves the truck is NOT tough. RPM is a waste of money IMO anyways as they just break other parts instead.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR
Having to blow money on RPM parts proves the truck is NOT tough. RPM is a waste of money IMO anyways as they just break other parts instead.
I have equiped my LST2/XXL and my Revos all w/RPM and titanium and dont feel it's a waste at all. It certainly has made repairs fewer and further between.
RPM is a far more logical upgrade over aluminum arms X10.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lomax
I run T-maxx 3.3's (extended versions). The First truck I bought New and after about an hour of use I broke a front knuckle. The New style kuckle does not seem as strong as the old ones in my opinion. I also busted the gears out of the stock steering servo. Other than that I wacked the body up a bit but the truck is kinda heavy when it goes topside so Thats not the trucks fault or anything. Upgrades I have on this truck include
Aluminum front steering knuckles
Proline 40 series Big Joe Tires and wheels
1/8 scale buggy shocks
Aluminum skid plates
Airtronics Digital Steering servo
Different front bumper
2.4 airtronics reciver hooked up to my M11 radio
This truck as a little over a gallon of fuel through it and overall I am very happy with it

The second Tmaxx I bought used and it was on around 2 1/2 gallons. It is the truck my wife drives and she has had a problem breaking A-arms but it turns out it had the incorrect lenght pins in place. Its been a great truck otherwise. Absolutley the best running nitro I have ever had. You can crank it and walk away and it will run untill its out of gas or untill you decide to drive around. The only upgrades I have done to this truck is
RPM Aarms on the front
HPI Goliath wheels and Tires

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have twisted the rear Driveshaft on both trucks. I had to go back stock because I didnt have the money for CVD's but I recommend it to anyone with these. Seems to be a repetitive problem. Heck when either truck hits second gear they do a wheelstand even with these larger tires so I cant say that the shafts dont have some strain on them
-Will
the stock drive shafts do not hold up the the power of the 3.3 i put in a brand new set and twisted them off in less that a tank of fuel. a race tuned engine is to much power i had to go with mip cvds and problem is solved

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
How old is the T-Maxx? The first generation engines didn't run the best, but the new Traxxas engines are great for general purpose bashing and they will hold their tune and stay running.

And the T-Maxxes are indestructible. IMO they brought the nitro monster trucks back and helped make the class better than ever.
I cant say that they are indestructable but i put on aluminum bulkheads and rpm arms and havent had as many repairs. I just got tired of tearing half the truck apart to change bulkheads seems the aluminum bulkhead and rpm arm combo works very well

i have not drivin an rc vehicle that has not had its week spots not everyone drives the same so different things will break once you find what you are breaking you can see what better parts are available and will have a tough truck like i created.

My Tmaxx started as a 2.5 and i built it as a 3.3 everything but hte tranny long before the 3.3 came out so i got a 3.3 tranny im going to put in and will have a 3.3 as of now i call it a 3.0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.