Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
lst2 burning plugs >

lst2 burning plugs

lst2 burning plugs

Old 01-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default lst2 burning plugs

hey guys have an lst2. i think it's tuned right it has a nice stream of smoke all the time if i leave it idol for 10 secs takes off nice doesn't bog down.

The problem is when it runs out of feul seems to burn the plug.

Was waiting for it to run out yesterday just at ldol needed to get going so i just tilted it up on on side to put the tiny amount or remaining feul away from the pick up in tank to make it stall quicker. went to use in now and the plug is gone.

sometimes in the past i have pinched the fuel line to stall it and that a few times has burnt the plug also is that normal

any help would be really great thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gnatsum69
hey guys have an lst2. i think it's tuned right it has a nice stream of smoke all the time if i leave it idol for 10 secs takes off nice doesn't bog down.

The problem is when it runs out of feul seems to burn the plug.

Was waiting for it to run out yesterday just at ldol needed to get going so i just tilted it up on on side to put the tiny amount or remaining feul away from the pick up in tank to make it stall quicker. went to use in now and the plug is gone.

sometimes in the past i have pinched the fuel line to stall it and that a few times has burnt the plug also is that normal

any help would be really great thanks.
Glow Plug should last for a while; if they're burnt often, there's 2 reason.

1) Your engine's compression - Did you remove any shim(s) from your heat sink (under the button head)? If yes, put it back, if not, add 1, the compression might be too great.

2) Your Con-Rod Bushing (that little brass collar) might be wear.
Replace the Con-Rod.

Cheers.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roychan69
Glow Plug should last for a while; if they're burnt often, there's 2 reason.

1) Your engine's compression - Did you remove any shim(s) from your heat sink (under the button head)? If yes, put it back, if not, add 1, the compression might be too great.

2) Your Con-Rod Bushing (that little brass collar) might be wear.
Replace the Con-Rod.

Cheers.
hey there,

thanks for your answer. with the compression thing do you mean that would only make it burn a plug when running out of fuel or anytime? normally if i run around a track or just up and down the street i can use the whole tank or stop before the tank is empty and top it up while still running and use another tank full and the plug won't go!

I'm thinking of going brushless do you have any idea of what kv motor i would need to get about the same speed and torque?

michael
Old 01-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gnatsum69
hey there,

thanks for your answer. with the compression thing do you mean that would only make it burn a plug when running out of fuel or anytime? normally if i run around a track or just up and down the street i can use the whole tank or stop before the tank is empty and top it up while still running and use another tank full and the plug won't go!

I'm thinking of going brushless do you have any idea of what kv motor i would need to get about the same speed and torque?

michael
Yes, too great a compression will caused plug burnt.
(My friend's Savage X F4.6 engine did as he had removed a shim from the heat sink) and he burnt a plug for every 5 to 6 fill ups.

BUT, it did not burnt particularly during running out of fuel, it'll burnt anytime,
which are different from your case.

***Is your HSN (High Speed Needle) set too lean...?
If you had set it too lean, burning of plug will happen, especially when fuel level drops in the fuel tank, it'll get leaner when level is low.

*** Does your burnt plug turned 'whitish' near to the coil area...?
If yes, richen your needles, it's too lean.