Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Associated Monster GT drive lines, 4.6SE vs 8.0 >

Associated Monster GT drive lines, 4.6SE vs 8.0

Associated Monster GT drive lines, 4.6SE vs 8.0

Old 12-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Questions?? Associated Monster GT drive lines, 4.6SE vs 8.0

I've got a Monster GT 4.6SE that has a worn out front drive joint / brake hub http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Disc-Brake-Hub.

I was cruising through A-main looking for the part when I came across a similar part for the 8.0. Except this is a full replacement with a cva joint instead, which looks more resilient http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ed-Front-Drive

It looks like the 8.0 part will fit fine, but I've only got those pictures to work off of. Does anyone have a better idea if it will work?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yhe only difference i know of between the 8.0 and 4.6 is the tranny and engine the drive line is the same the 8.0 shafts and cups should work i could be wrong
Old 12-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

I went ahead and bought the 8.0 front drive joint and it came in yesterday. I gave it a good look over and I think it will be fine. Notably, the swivel in the joint is substantially larger on the 8.0.

I have to wait for some bearings before I can reassemble the transmission and find out for sure.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

awsome they should work if it will fit i would try putting the bigger one on the rear cuz you put more power to the rear wheels under take off power
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Welp, looks like the pin for attaching the joint to the transmission output shaft is different.

4.6 joint uses the partially threaded set-screw pin here http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Disc-Brake-Hub

8.0 uses the smaller e-clip retained pin here http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...le-Rebuild-Kit

I can't use the set-screw one because the hub isn't threaded for it. Original hub was thrashed, that's why I ordered a new one. So I guess I'll be buying a rebuild kit for this thing as well.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

yea man i see what your problem is if the e clip pin it the same size it should work out. also check the hex size for yout brake rotor to see if the 4.6 brake will fit the 8.0 hex. and i used to use this site to order all my losi parts and found they carry all asc parts check them out for your part needs and ill help out as much as i can

http://www.losipartshouse.com/servle...Car/Categories
Old 12-21-2009, 11:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

4.6 brake fits fine. I have the transmission sitting in place just waiting for the new pin.

I just placed the order with A-main, though I will try your suggestion in the future. Looks like they are cheaper.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Tech Adept

kool it really is a great site cuz they carry almost every part of the trucks. i wish the rope wasnt broke on mine the only thing stopping me from running it is i dont have a drill to start it so looks like i need to make an order
Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well after all that work and waiting for parts, I found that the 8.0 driveshaft is about 5mm shorter than the 4.6. Looks like I'll be going to my roughed-up shaft until I put enough of an order together.

Anyone need a brand-new 8.0 front CVA and a rebuild kit for it? $10 shipped

edit: I finally got everything back together and I was wrong. I had misjudged how the original part engaged the drive cup. 8.0 shafts will work on a 4.6, but you will need the rebuild kit in order to have the right retention pin.

Last edited by kuffs; 01-10-2010 at 06:57 PM.