Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Tech Master

Default Zilla .46

Horatio... I guess I never noticed it before but the zilla wheels and tires are very heavy!!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Default Zilla.46- another problem

Horatio.... Those anti-roll bars I told you about don't work very well on the Zilla. The bar is made out of metal that is too soft!! There is no spring in the metal and when it flexes it does not return to its original shape. This causes the zilla to pull side to side going down the straight, it turns great tires do not lift but it will not track straight. I took the anti-roll bars off the Zilla tracks straight now. I guess I am going to have to use heavier oil in my shocks to compensate for chassis roll.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the update - I won't be using them then!! At the moment, my Savage handles very well indeedy....

I TQ'd with both my Savage and my Mugen on Sunday in round 1. The Savage kicked major butt and pulled awesome wheelies down the straight ;-D My Mugen was clearing the triple with comparitive ease. I was lapping 'traffic' every other lap. Now I need some of the fast electric boys to buy hyper 7's!!

I didn't race in the following rounds or the finals though, cos I made a deal with my missus to take her around the shops!

Oh well..........!
Old 05-17-2004, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Default Zilla.46

I also took your advice on the diff oil I went with 30,000 weight up front and 10,000 weight out back. Horatio what do you think does the zilla really need a anti-roll bar in your opinion?? Does anyone in the monster truck class that you race in have one on their truck?
Old 05-18-2004, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Nitrohead:

The Zilla is a fair bit bigger than the standard Savage, so it may handle differently around corners compared to what I'm used to with my SS. As you pointed out, the CoG is higher with the Zilla, so anti-roll bars may be essential items in your case.

Personally, I can happily live without anti-roll bars on any car unless the handling dictates otherwise. At the moment on the kind of tracks I race my Savage on, I don't suffer from any grip rolling - so I haven't been running anti-roll bars. I've also been running on standard wheels and tyres - they seem to work really well on grass!!

Regards the guys I race against with their poor little Tmaxx's , most of them run without roll bars too. It would be interesting to try them out, especially on the back, just to see if I can promote a little more steering. Since doing the diff mod and changing the oils, the Savage turns better though anyway - so we'll experiment in due course!
Old 05-18-2004, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Default zilla.46

Thanks for your input Horatio
Old 05-18-2004, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Just thought I'd mention it, but I appear to be getting better power out of my engine lately, whilst the temperature remains around the 290 mark. I'm using a new motor saver airfilter, but I doubt that it can be making that much difference to the power output over my old OS Super Filter - surely?

I'm assuming that it must be the engine bedding in some more, perhaps the new filter is helping some as well.

Over 75 yards, my Truck is about 1 sec quicker - quite an improvement in speed don't you think? At any rate, I'm very happy about it!!

Hows the C5 Fusion project going and have you finished cutting down trees?!!
Old 05-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Smile Zilla .46

Horatio, those trees have finished me!! Got it all done now I can concentrate on completing the break in of the RB C-5
Old 05-19-2004, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Zilla .46

Originally posted by nitrohead5300
Horatio, those trees have finished me!! Got it all done now I can concentrate on completing the break in of the RB C-5
Thank the lord!!

Keep us posted!
Old 05-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Default Zilla 46

Hello Horatio.. How are you doing ? Are you still terrorizing the T-Maxx at your track? Give them heck for me would ya? I found some spring steel rod that I am going to make my anti-rollbars out of and I am going to try a different way of attaching the bar to the suspension arms. I got to run my fusion yesterday. It took awhile but the RBC-5 is broken in!! Now I have to fine tune it for maxiumn horsepower. The shifts were fast and solid!! Running rich on the short track it hit 65mph! I was going to run it on the big track today but I am blocked in due to the Indy 500 mile race!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:56 AM
Tech Elite

Hi,

I'm just back from my family holiday! Needless to say, I haven't done any racing, but my Savage is just begging to whip some more Tmaxxs!!!

Glad to hear you have got the RB running in your Fusion. When that motor loosens up fully and you get the mixtures in the zone, you're going to have awesome top end.

I like the sound of making your own anti roll bars. You could make a few sets out of different gauge piano wire/spring steel. Be sure to post some pictures!!!

Regards

Horatio
Old 06-18-2004, 03:32 AM
Tech Elite

HI!!

I haven't forgotten about this thread, honest!

How's the C5?

Well I got to race the Savage last weekend. Unfortunately the camper van which was home to all the timing equipment was not there - someone had lost the keys , so once again it was open practice.

However, it was still lots of fun blasting around with Tmaxxs AND for the first time - ANOTHER Savage racer!! He'll need to do some small mods to his Truck before he turns in good lap times, but his driving seemed very good.

I've now got a set of 40 Series Velocity 6 wheels and 40 series bowties tyres. All I can say is WOW! My truck was pretty good on the stock tyres, but in one go I've reduced the weight - rotating mass infact, by 400g, improved traction, acceleration, top speed, got more steering and more consistent stable handling overall.

In addition, I've now added new hardened center CVD's, plus 1 hardened cup. I did this because the Stock dog bones and cups were beginning to 'chew up' - the pins were going flat and the cups had alot of wear in the slot. Pretty soon I'd have had no drive at all. Rather than buy 3 new cups and 2 dog bones, it made more sense to just get the HD CVD's.

I can't wait to try this thing next Sunday!! Awesome!

I've also been trying out some tricks - stoppies in particular. Whilst being filmed, I did a stoppie that went up past vertical - but before the car front flipped I gave a short burst of throttle that popped it straight back onto it's opposite end for an impressive stoppie to wheelie combo. I'll try and post some pictures soon.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Default Zilla 46

Hello Horatio! Hope you had a nice trip!! I have been testing the zilla with the spring steel anti roll bars I made and they appear to be working , the truck tracks very straight and does not roll when you go into the turns! I did change the location where the bars are mounted from the top of the steering knuckles to the lower suspension arms. But now the tranny does not shift so I am going to have to tear into that The C-5 in the fusion looks very promising It is alot faster on top end and goes thru the gears 1-2-3, bam, bam, dam she is gone!! I will post up some pictures of my anti-rollbars. Good luck racing ! Peace.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Tech Elite

Sorting out my SavageSS avatar!!
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Default Truckzilla

Horatio.. Here are some pictures of the anti-roll bars assembly I came up with.
Attached Thumbnails Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage-fusion-outlaw-007.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.