Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage >

Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage

Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage

Old 04-29-2004, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

How much FUEL does this .46 engine use???? How much runtime on a tank??
Old 04-30-2004, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Regards fuel consumption, Nitrohead will be able give you accurate info, but I reckon you should get 8-10 minutes out of the standard tank using a .46. With the S-25 you can get about 15 minutes.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I had to take my truck all apart to do the diff mod front and rear. Nothing was wrong with my diffs, but it's something I wanted to do BEFORE anything went wrong.

It's quite a big job as the diffs aren't that easy to get to, so it takes a little time just getting them out. I did one at a time and re-assembled before starting on the next one - there just wasn't room on my bench AKA our kitchen table!! My wife just loves it when I monopolise our table with Monster truck gubbins

You'll need:

2 packets of OFNA cross pins (a pair of cross pins in each pack)

2 packets of HPI Savage diff gears

Diff oil

Once the diffs are in front of you it's a very easy mod to do. Clean them out, removing as much of the old diff oil as possible. Reassemble the diff with OFNA cross pins (1 Pair per diff) and 4 spider gears ( 2 existing spiders from the diff, plus a pair of new HPI spiders). Do this with each diff and fill them up with Silicon Diff oil up to the cross pins.

I used 10000 in the front diff and 3000 in the rear.

Another bonus is that you'll have 4 spare diff output bevel gears left over in the packets.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

While I was doing the diffs, I thought I'd improve the throttle/brake linkage arrangement. The standard arrangement does work, but there was room for improvement - I didn't like the c spring over-ride on the servo arm.

There are many ways to do this, but the way I've done mine is a little different to how I've seen others do theirs. I think my way is better

First, start with a new servo horn. It needs to be fairly large to give ample clearance of the chassis. You need OFNA sliders (this comes with M3 bolts/nuts, 2 springs etc) and some M2 rod, threaded at one end, say 1/2". I also used some collets and a 1 extra spring from a Mugen throttle/brake kit from the MBX4 - well worth getting.

The brake lever that comes up from the side of the gear box needs to have a slight bend put into it, so that when the brakes start to apply the rod is 90 degrees/vertical/perpendicular to the linkage. This ensures that maximum torque is applied to the calipers, thus significantly improving the braking force. This is very often overlooked and probably the main reason why people fail to get good brakes, regardless of the system they use!!

I used an additional spring brake over-ride to ensure that the brake lever is returned to the off position when the brakes are released. This ensures that no binding occurs without putting strain on the servo. The silicon tubing is retained, as is the HPI plastic adjusting screw - this allows for progressive braking feel.

The throttle over-ride is pretty much a standard setup.
Attached Thumbnails Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage-ssofnasliders.jpg  
Old 04-30-2004, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Here's a picture of my Crazy nut brake kit. It comprises of twin alloy vented disks, mounted on a hardened alloy hex (7071 alloy NOT 6061) and carbon fibre calipers. It was very reasonably priced and offers a massive increase of stopping power.

The hi-tensile cap head screws that came with the kit were threaded all the way along. If you look very closely at the picture, you'll notice that the screws I use have a smooth shoulder too them - just the right length - to ensure a smoother operation of the brakes. The screws used were manifold screws from a .60 size aircraft engine cut to size and are widely available.

I can't stress enough how good this system works. Strong, progressive brakes which respond well to adjustments. If I want my truck to do front flips - no worries. If I'm racing, I can dial out the brakes so that they don't lock up etc etc.
Attached Thumbnails Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage-sscrazynutbrake.jpg  
Old 04-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Default Zilla 46

Horatio...Let me know what kind of steering response you get out of your savage with the 10,000 weight oil in front My zilla is going to be down for a while until I get the parts in for the ofna conversion I have 5,000 weight oil in the front and 3,000 weight oil in the back. The zilla .46 motor really runs good I think taking it apart and cleaning it and putting oil in the bearing before I started break-in made the difference. I was shocked I used the hair dryer to heat up the RB C-5 it fired right up!! I will try to finish break in this week-end if the weather lets me!! Give those T-MAXXES heck this weekend!!
Old 04-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Nitrohead:

I was running 10000 front and back!! The car was pretty stable like that, but lacked power on steering.

Like you, I'm running 3000 in the rear now so hopefully that should give me a little more steering, but I'm keeping 10000 in the front for now - I was thinking of mixing 10000 and 5000 to get 7500 and try that.

Glad that C-5 fired up straight away. Using a hair dryer really helps with a tight new engine. This is how I ran my WS7 in.

You can always rely on me to give those Tmaxx boys hell - even though I'm out there on my own!!!

Old 04-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Default Zilla .46

Horatio.. The RB-C5 was a surprise , I figured that I was going to have a real hard time getting it to start, But it fired up and idled real nicely. After reading your post on the oil I think I am going to try 7,000 weight up front and see has it effects handling.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I had a good weekend with the Savage. We had no timing equipment this time, but as it was an 'open practice' meeting, it didn't matter too much. There were loads of Tmaxxs, so it was going to be a real demolition derby

My Savage ran superbly. Despite LOTS of contact with the Tmaxxs, not only did the Savage win most of the 'arguments', nothing broke either. This time there was no doubt that my truck was getting around the track quicker than the Tmaxxs - about 3 seconds per lap faster.

The only problems I experienced were:

Tyres pulling off the wheels

Airfilter fell off twice after severe landings

A rear ball cup popped off after I self-marshalled my truck (Truck was on it's side so I revved it up and applied lock until it flipped itself over!!)

Once again I performed the best wheelies powering down the straight. A large crowd was present due to it being a bank holiday weekend, so I admit I enjoyed the showing off!! A few took pictures of my Savage

Handling wise, I reckon dropping to 3000 in the back has really helped the truck turn tighter. I think I'll stick with 10000 in the front - the truck retained it's stable conering. I ran using shock socks - they did a really good job and cleaned up really easy just by using a soft brush.

New throttle linkage performed flawlessly too - better braking and reliable throttling. Recommended.

I took my Mugen out several times through the day. Now, there's this thing at our club where you get bragging rights if you clear the triple. Well the Mugen was clearing it, landing spot on 'almost' every time. Of course, all the boys were attempting the same. Most of the new Hyper 7 drivers were clearing it - just - but not getting the landings quite right Result - lots of laughing!!

One guy, with a Losi XXX and a 7 turn single snapped his car in half attempting the 'triple challenge'. Broken chassis, battery bar and cells Then he attempted it with his XXX4 with an 8 double. Result: Lots of tears!!! AND another broken Losi with 3 less corners than it started with! I wish I'd taken my Camera

Regards

Horatio
Old 05-03-2004, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Default Zilla 46

Horatio , sounds like you had a good weekend of racing ! Are you going to replace those parts that failed with after market idems? It rained most of the weekend here but I did get to run the fusion for a little while. So far the RB fires right up I am half way thru the breakin procedure. I also found a new parking lot to run on ! It is 350 feet long that will give me a chance to wind this baby out.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Nitrohead:

Yep! I've had a great weekend. I may change the ball ends, but to be fair to them they haven't broken. The tyres were my fault because I hadn't used enough cyno to hold them on. And of course I wasn't waiting long enough for the glue to cure at the meeting. The airfilter is an OS super filter, but I think I'll get a motor saver filter as that seems to be the way to go - I haven't heard of them ever falling off.

I hope that you get a good day soon so that you can complete the running-in. I imagine you'll need a runway to test your C-5 - it will have staggering top-end. In a Fusion, I'm guessing that you are going to be hitting 80 - 90mph. Maybe even more if you gear it up! Be sure to use a body that gives lots of down force - else it may actually lift off!!! Good luck - and be sure to get someone to film it!!!

Regards

Horatio
Old 05-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Default zilla .46

Horatio ... that is what I am shooting for 80 mph.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:00 AM
Tech Elite

Well I had mixed fortunes over the weekend. My Savage is a very tough machine, but things can still go wrong. As usual, I had the usual crop of Tmaxx's to beat!

Qualifying started well, but then one end of the tracking arms at the rear pulled off. Round 2, the same thing happened on the other side!! Grrrrr. Round 3, I put in a blinding run and TQ'd!!!!!! I made more of an effort to land squarely off the jumps. At the end of the TQ run, suddenly I lost drive to the rear. One of the little thread pins/grub screw had come out of the brake hex. Rather fortunately, it was balancing on my Mossdog centre skid plate at one end Just as well, as I didn't have a spare.

It went back in and I was able to start the final with 4wd. During the race, I made an error which flipped my truck over onto it's roof, right at the far-side of the track - where there were no marshalls!! By the time I was put back on my wheels, I'd lost the most part of a lap. And my engine oh-so-nearly cut. However, I had about 8 minutes to play catch up. Which I duely did - I got back up to 2nd place and was hassling the leader, but alas the race ended there. Due to my TQ, I came away with 1 more championship point than the guy who won the final!!

In 1/8th, I missed out on TQ by just 1 second. I have the knack of clearing the triple now every time, which helps me turn decent lap times. During the 10 minute A final, I had a flying start and made no mistakes. The first 5 minutes was about a lap quicker than TQ! I went on to win by a comfortable 4 lap margin Seems like nailing that triple is the key to whipping the opposition!

Nitrohead:

How are you? How's your C-5?!! Have you finished running it in yet and have you done any speed runs with it in the Fusion?!!!

Horatio
Old 05-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Default Zilla 46

Hello, Horatio....Ihave been working on the Zilla I put in the mp servo saver but because of the size and weight of the tires I am going to have to find a stronger spring. I didn't get to run my fusion this weekend was spent cutting down trees and removing bushes from the back yard.
Old 05-11-2004, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Nitrohead:

Cutting down trees?!! Sounds like some serious clearing work. Are you making more room to drive your cars?

The spring on the OFNA MP servo saver works good with the stock size wheels and tyres. The truckzilla wheels and tyre are a fair bit bigger aren't they? I hadn't thought about that.

What I suggest you try is pre-loading the the spring with some sort of spacer (perhaps ordinary shock spacers may work?) - I imagine this will be easier than trying to replace the spring. Mind your fingers!!!

The number of time I've ended up bleeding working on these wretched cars........

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service