Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage >

Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage

Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage

Old 03-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds good.

I fancy a 46 too, but I'm biding my time for now - Truckzillas aren't out over here for another few weeks anyway. Initially they were planned for a Feb release date, but it's going to be end of March now.

I'm right in the middle of building a Savage SS right now. I'm quite impressed, though I'm very glad I took the Nitro Star .25 apart - not only did the engine have loads of metal 'bits' in it, but also the pin that fits into the Crank bigend was floating around in the crank case. Had I even attempted to turn the thing over, it would have ended in tears and no doubt warranty claim too

The crank had little spots of rust on it too - surely these parts should be protected with light oil to prevent this from happening? Needless to say, my .25 is enjoying a nice long soak in Mugen oil having been totally flushed through with degreaser.

The HPI Rotostart system is a little over priced I reckon - I'm glad I got mine thrown in for nothing. If I'd paid 30 ($60!!!) for it, I'd have been well p1ssed off about it! It's a good idea, but just a tad on the weedy side. Plus, I don't have any stick packs either - only saddles - so it's another purchase I hadn't bargained for.

The quality of the Savage SS itself though is great though - it's built like......, err, umm - a mosnster truck! The gear boxes were ready-built, but I took them apart anyway to use silicon grease of my choice in them - the green slime was an unknown quantity. At some point I'll also be doing the Diff mod too. The centre gear box was totally dry - no grease to be seen, which suprises me seeing as there is metal to metal gear contact. A small amount of Mugen super grease was used to keep things running smoothly.

All the suspension arms are ready, but that's as far as Ive got so far. Roll on the weekend so I can finish it off!!
Old 03-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Default zilla 46 conversion

Horatio.... I am so glad thet you caught the metal shaving before you fired up the engine!! Man you saved yourself some down time!! And I don't like that little pin either it gave me problems!! But it sounds like you are on top of everythings have fun!!
Old 03-15-2004, 02:39 AM
Tech Elite

Cheers Buddy,

Keep in touch
Old 03-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Here's a picture of my completed Savage SS.

OK, so it's not a truckzilla conversion but I still want to show it here

Hope you like it!
Attached Thumbnails Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage-savage.jpg  
Old 03-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Default Zilla-46

Nice looking truck Horatio!! Unique paint scheme. I hope you have fun breaking her in , the 25 put out some power once she gets broken in!! Did you know that rb is putting out a big block 28?? The monster truck segment just keeps growing with more and more aftermarket parts, motors and conversion kits!!! When I first started breaking in my zilla it was almost docile but the last time I ran this truck it was a beast ripping up the yard throwing grass and dirt everywhere. The more I run this engine the more power I seem to get out of it . I have put less than 1/2 a gallon of fuel thru her and I am still leaning it in , the temp stays at around 210. I put some megatech swaybars on my truck and it seem to keep it from doing traction rolls in high speed turns you might want to check out some !! Have a good one Horatio!!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

for all you monster truck fans, have any of you had problems with your hpi shafts on the shocks bending easily ? My cousin has a savage and he's been going through them quite frequently. But then again, he really a hard basher on his monster truck. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Nitrohead:

I think the engine is improving slowly. I've only run 3 tanks of fuel through and leaned it slightly after each tank. The .25 is still blowing loads of smoke so I've got a fair way to go yet on the mixture side of things, but she idles well and hasn't stalled at all - thats pretty good for a new engine isn't it?!! The Rotostart switch jammed on with me - I must have pressed the switch too hard with my thumb. Taking it apart was no prob though and it is now operational again. Even running-in, this Savage is fun to drive!! Kurb hopping, wheelies out of potholes etc, nothing phases the Savage. All I need now is the engine to reach it's sweet spot.

RB 28?!!!!!? NOW we're talking!! I own an RB WS7 in a Mugen and the thing absolutley flies. I can only imagine the sort of performance that RB would get out of a 28. Or how about a .46 or even a .90? Oh yeah! - ROCK!!

Roger:

Of course, I've yet to bust anything as my Savage SS is still being run in. But considering the the length of those shocks and the likely punishment they're going to take, the kit Shock Shafts seem a bit on the thin-side to me. I haven't looked into it, but I imagine there are aftermarket ones which are far stronger.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Talking Savage Progress Update

Well, the engine has had the best part of a gallon through it and I have to say that the S-25 runs very well indeed. The engine never stalls and idles reliably and appears to stay at a good operating temperature too. I've got the mixture in the sweet zone I reckon. It pops power wheelies on demand.

The Savage needed things doing to get it 'right' for racing though.

First, the tank with the SS is rubbish make no mistake. It sucks in air through the primer, so I replaced it for the HPI racing tank. It's far better and the engine runs through the whole tankful of fuel without swallowing air etc.

Next, the brakes - the fibre disc works, but for how long? I wasn't going to wait for it to fail, so I changed it for a Crazy Nut brake kit with twin disks, carbon fibre calipers and hardened alloy hex.

Clutch - again, the SS 2 shoe clutch does work, but the Savage is a heavy beast and needs as much driving force as possible. I replaced the flywheel for the HPI 3 shoe flywheel and tried both Mugen shoes/springs and HPI shoes/springs. The HPI springs were a little softer and allowed an earlier engagement of the clutch, better for a MT IMO. Now the Savage can pop power wheelies on demand. In fact it can now pop over onto it's back

Steering - the stock steering/servo saver arrangement is perhaps the weakest part of the Savage's design. Having installed a digital steering servo with 13kg of torque on tap, the last thing I needed was this poor arrangement spoiling things. I fitted the the OFNA Monster Pirate Servo Savers. It bolts straight in, but alternative screws have to be used on the moulded link between the steering cranks and a new link has to be made up between the servo horn and the new servo saver. A small amount of dremmeling is also beneficial for fullest lock/travel. Savage Central has full details. This steering arrangement is a vast improvement over the stanard set up - really it's a 'must have' mod.
Attached Thumbnails Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage-savagess0304a.jpg  
Old 04-13-2004, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

The steering mod:
Attached Thumbnails Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage-savagempmodfull.jpg  
Old 04-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

A fly by for the camera

The savage is the best jumping machine I own.
Attached Thumbnails Truckzilla .46 Engine Conversion For Savage-savagejump.jpg  
Old 04-13-2004, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Default .46 engine conversion

Great, horny toads flying zillas!!!!!!!!! Great pictures Horatio! I like the conversion you did to the steering on the savage!
Old 04-14-2004, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Cheers Mate

I'm having real fun with my Savage now!

Last Sunday (Easter Sunday) I attended a race meeting and entered the 1/8th buggy and Monster Truck classes.

In the truck class, I was the only one racing a Savage The 2.5 Tmaxx brigade were out enforce. I took one of the early rounds really easy, which suprised many. However, in the latter stages the Tmaxx darkside took hold and they started getting nasty

I think the Tmaxx race orders were 'one of us races to the finish, the rest of us take out the Savage every time he tries to lap us!!'

Well the ensuing caos was highly entertianing for everyone there, the spectators gathered and all the drivers were in fits of laughter Somehow I managed 2nd place overall, with no damage or engine cuts. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the Tmaxx's - they were Savaged

Oh Yeah!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Default Truckzilla .46 conversion

You did a great job !! 2nd place against a field of T-Maxx's is very good I am sure they were targeting you. Now I am sitting here wondering how long it will be before you drop a Rb-28 in or a picco 26 Cheers!!
Old 04-15-2004, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks again!

The way I'm thrashing my Savage and going through fuel, an engine change won't be too far away I'm sure

An RB .28 would be nice, but from what I gather from Rody, there could well be a 'race' version of the .28 on the horizon, largely depending on the success of their first .28 due out later this month.

What we all really want is an RB .46, .70 or .90 Perhaps not so highly tuned as the smaller engines - so then we'd have performance and long engine life.

I don't ask for much do I?
Old 04-15-2004, 07:55 AM
GEM
Tech Rookie

Question Guys,

Have a savage ss. My S25 fires us easily, puffs a good smoke then stalls. My high end needle is at 3 turns out, low end is flushed. Using a 30% fuel. Piston and sleeve are ok. I talked to the shop owner said I should change the fuel. Im also using an OS R5 plug. Comments guys.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service