R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   RDlogics gas tank leaking...tmaxx (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/296281-rdlogics-gas-tank-leaking-tmaxx.html)

drebies_one 05-11-2009 11:09 AM

RDlogics gas tank leaking...tmaxx

just put my rdlogics aluminum gas tank on my tmaxx.....and at first it appered to be no leaks....but i set it down and now under it is a small amount of fuel leaking at a slow rate.....does anyone has any experience with these tanks....and what should i use to seal the fitting,and or the bottom of the tank(four screws that hold the actual bottom of tank together,not to the chassis)...i was gonna go with high temp silicone just cause i have some kicking around.....so yea anyone have this tank,and have had any similar problems,please help.

MoparRules 05-11-2009 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by drebies_one (Post 5798239)
just put my rdlogics aluminum gas tank on my tmaxx.....and at first it appered to be no leaks....but i set it down and now under it is a small amount of fuel leaking at a slow rate.....does anyone has any experience with these tanks....and what should i use to seal the fitting,and or the bottom of the tank(four screws that hold the actual bottom of tank together,not to the chassis)...i was gonna go with high temp silicone just cause i have some kicking around.....so yea anyone have this tank,and have had any similar problems,please help.

i have 2 pieces of advice for you

1. use that silicone

2. dont ever, EVER buy RDL again. its all crap.

daniel15fl 05-11-2009 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by MoparRules (Post 5798433)

1. use that silicone

i agree with mopar but here is my question? why in the hell would u need an aluminum gas tank?are the plastic ones breaking? or is it for bling bling?:weird:

joe of loath 05-11-2009 12:32 PM

Aluminium tanks = fail. They have screw threaded caps! Fast pit changes FTW?

Transamman25 05-11-2009 12:57 PM

If it's for longer runs,
I use the larger Ofna fuel tank for longer runs .. even upside down that thing wont spill a drop !

Brad.R 05-11-2009 08:13 PM

its not the gas tank its the skrews your using. there to long. when you use to long of a skrew it will puncture the bottom of the the causing a leak. hate to say it but you need a new tank. that nitro will eat up that silicone. trust me ive tried it.:nod:

CaseyDDR 05-11-2009 09:02 PM

Now heres an idea, I don't know if it's safe though for the fuel etc, but what about JB Weld? I've used that for quite a few applications and have NEVER had a problem with it.

drebies_one 05-12-2009 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by joe of loath (Post 5798487)
Aluminium tanks = fail. They have screw threaded caps! Fast pit changes FTW?

i dont race....and yes it it for bling....i have 3 other maxx trucks.....and i agree,i am not too impressed with rdlogic stuff,but i went with it for the battery box,and radio box.....so i just had to finish it with the gas tank......
thanks everybody

drebies_one 05-12-2009 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR (Post 5800694)
Now heres an idea, I don't know if it's safe though for the fuel etc, but what about JB Weld? I've used that for quite a few applications and have NEVER had a problem with it.

i kinda assumed that nitro will eventually break down silicone....so jb weld seems like the best idea yet....

drebies_one 05-12-2009 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by bigblockt-maxx (Post 5800435)
its not the gas tank its the skrews your using. there to long. when you use to long of a skrew it will puncture the bottom of the the causing a leak. hate to say it but you need a new tank. that nitro will eat up that silicone. trust me ive tried it.:nod:

definitly didnt puncture anything....i used the right screws....this gas tank has longer legs than the stock plastic one,or so it seems....but my screws definitly went ony 3/4 of the way threw the legs of the tank.....so its definitly either the fitting...or just the way the gas tank it put together???

i am ripping it out tomorrow(day off) to figure out the problem....i was hoping someone had one and had the same problem....
and i will definitely figure out the problem

drebies_one 05-13-2009 09:49 AM

ok....for starts...this thing is a piece of s**t
it was leaking from both the fitting,and the bottom plate.
the bottom plate has a silicone seal around the edges....but hey wouldnt ya know....looks like whoever put this thing together was half asleep that day,cause the silicone didnt even go all the way around the edges....anyway,im jb welding the bottom plate on,jb weld around the bottom fitting,and for the top,something prettier than jb weld.....but yes.....aluminum gas tanks look the part....but suck....PERIOD!!!

mattsemonski 05-13-2009 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by MoparRules (Post 5798433)

1. use that silicone

Ya all the RDL i have bought is junk....

drebies_one 05-13-2009 07:44 PM

ok the jb weld seems to be holdong up....but what a pain in the a**......atleast it dont leak now....and i say now loosley...

CaseyDDR 05-13-2009 09:41 PM

glad my idea worked 4 you!