Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Savage Flux HP Thread >

Savage Flux HP Thread

Like Tree6Likes

Savage Flux HP Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Default Savage Flux HP Thread

Lets get some discussion going. Any Savage Flux owners around here? This is one tough truck! No breakage so far. The only problem I am having is the occasional glitching I have with the FM radio I installed. But it is more of the location I am playing on. Lots of power even on 4S (I used 2 - 2S SMC 24C, 5200mah LiPo), to think I already tuned down all of the ESC settings to make this beast more controllable at the pull of the trigger. The body roof already shows sign of wear. The only thing I hate is the stock body is piching those ESC to motor wiring loop. Got a spare body alreay (HPI Bronco) and with teh added room at the back without jacking up the body post, that takes care of the problems.

I have to confess, I love this truck! E-maxx and E-Revo already sold. This will be my 2009 basher / runner.

I recommend installing velcro straps or anything that will make those battery flaps secure. You don't your expensive LiPos jumping also with your flux. I have Tekno straps and they are just perfect!

Also, if you can add the castle link programming kit, buy it! it should have been included in the first place with the price of this truck. So is 2.4ghz radio.

Some pics:

HPI Bronco body not yet painted. Just to show the extra room at the back:

Poor stock body. That is mainly due to asphalt running. The Flux is more at home with dirt.

I'll report more in the future for any mods or bashing events.

Post away Flux owners .
Old 04-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You can get a 20' roll of 1" wide velcro - both 'sides' from wally world for abou 25$ (only way they sell it that wide...). I've been using that to secure lipos since I started playing with the bigger ones. I run a piece down back of the batt and for my Flux, put other piece inside the batt box near frame - that works great. I've stopped a few times and found the box open, but the lipos don't move. I don't like straps, torn up too many. I may use some small zip ties instead just to keep them closed.

See you've got the same scar on the roof I've got...and my 3S 25C 5000mahs lipos show up Monday!! I understand I'm in for a real treat - 1st time on 6S power!!

I'll agree - motor wires should have been shorter, would've been better lay out. The only prob I've seen on any forum has been diffs and you have ro be doing massive air to have the prob. The nitro Savs have been modding CEN diffs to eliminate diff probs so there's a fix if you're into huge jumps.

Question I've not seen answered, you prob know - what did HPI set for the MMM voltage cutoff?? I haven't gotten around to checking mine yet. All other CC esc come with nothing set, so I'm curious if this is the same as well.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Addict

Wow. 6S?! LMK how it behaves on 6S. I already have a hard time with 4S power, what more with 6S.

About your question, I honestly don't know. I bought mine slightly used. It was set in auto (beeping sound on how many LiPo you are using). But I immediately changed the settings in the link and made my cut-off to 12.8V. I am not sure if the original owner (who also uses LiPo) changed the setting to auto or it is set that way from the factory.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

thats an awesome flux you got their.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Hey, thanks. It is completely stock. The body when still new, it really looks good.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 4wdmt View Post
Hey, thanks. It is completely stock. The body when still new, it really looks good.
Yeah the flux is a very good looking truck.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Wow. 6S?! LMK how it behaves on 6S. I already have a hard time with 4S power, what more with 6S.

About your question, I honestly don't know. I bought mine slightly used. It was set in auto (beeping sound on how many LiPo you are using). But I immediately changed the settings in the link and made my cut-off to 12.8V. I am not sure if the original owner (who also uses LiPo) changed the setting to auto or it is set that way from the factory.
Factory default setting for LVC = auto
Old 04-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Lord

I was so bummed when I scored the brand new body - it was on my first run - I have a piece of concrete to cross in the back yard, that I went on Ebay and bought a new one for looks, its a good looking shell.

That 1st time ofn the lid on the concrete also killed the antenna tube - its a plastic tube and won't take the abuse. Another good, long, hard skid on the lid and you'll be replacing the antenna wire as well. I started using Yokomo nylon tubes a long time ago since they take some abuse. Thats one other thing I was looking to do was re-route the tube out the rear window or farther back on the roof so its not so exposed and in a guillotine type situation when you land it on the lid on pavement. You might could protect it with some fuel tubing instead.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im not gonna lie im jealous
Old 04-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Don't be jealous salabarria, buy one . I have to sell off my E-Revo for this one. Can't be more happier with my purchase and decision.

Here is my new lid. Didn't bother making the body nice and perfect, it is just gonna be a basher anyways. The extra room at the rear shock towers really helps with the wiring loop of ESC and motors:

Just bought a Futaba 3PM 2.4ghz for her.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

thats sharp. On the last pic it looks like you can see through the tailgate. But that might just be a reflection.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Lord

gww528 - thanks, I finally got mine on a castle link and that's the way I found it. At least HPI is doing that much. My MMMs, MM, Sidewinder and 6 mamba 25s have all had no setting for the lvc out of the box.

4wdmt - sharp looking shell. That looks very diff than stocker. Where are you going to put the antenna?

snowboard094 - Pretty sure that's a reflection on the tailgate.

I've been mulling over my dilemma - the pr of NeuEnergy 3S 25C 5000 lipos I got are too thick for the batt boxes (they're "car pacs"), but darn they work great in my flm emaxx and g2r, fit is perfect for those two. I've bought a set of batt boxes on EBay with intent of cutting the outside off leaving an L shaped type bracket. Velcro on the bottom and back and a pr of zip ties to the tvps is what I'm planning for running these in my Flux. They shold be here any day now....
Old 04-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yea ill have to sell my lst2 , savage 25 and my ntc3 to get this with lipo batteries lol i always wanted a savage flux lol but there so expensive
Old 04-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by salabarria View Post
yea ill have to sell my lst2 , savage 25 and my ntc3 to get this with lipo batteries lol i always wanted a savage flux lol but there so expensive
expensive but worth it.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys. Yup, that is just a reflection at the tailgate. There are no antenna holes yet. I am waiting for my 3PM 2.4ghz. Hopefully, it will just be a few inches tall after routing through the radio box.

Duster. I think it will work, you will have enough support. Make sure you secure your LiPos tight.

Salabarria, time to sell something . As snowboard posted...it's definitely worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.