Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Savage Flux HP Thread >

Savage Flux HP Thread

Like Tree6Likes

Savage Flux HP Thread

Reply

Old 04-23-2009, 12:53 PM
  #61  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
4wdmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 746
Default

You will surely enjoy the Flux Freezebyte. Congrats on your new ride. Nothing beats a NIB and that NIB smell. hmmmm. Show them the power of the Flux .

I see that you bought some RC mags as well with the Savage Flux HP in it. I have the same 3 magazines too. The review on the RC car action is so lame, I didn't even bother buying it.

Duster. I asked in the other thread if they (Flux diffs) are already shimmed from the factory, they said yes. Those are the people who broke diffs and needs to open them.
4wdmt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 PM
  #62  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (14)
 
vic2367's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: new york city
Posts: 693
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

anyone know where i can find the specs on the flux ? exactly the wheel lenght ride height, i checked the hpi site but doent mention any of this info ,,
vic2367 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:44 PM
  #63  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (15)
 
agressive1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 266
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Hey Guys

Just wondering what the run times are, say on a 5000mah lipo on 4s?
agressive1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:27 PM
  #64  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by vic2367 View Post
anyone know where i can find the specs on the flux ? exactly the wheel lenght ride height, i checked the hpi site but doent mention any of this info ,,
Seems like what you're looking for is listed here -

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXWLZ8**&P=ML

Originally Posted by agressive1 View Post
Hey Guys

Just wondering what the run times are, say on a 5000mah lipo on 4s?
I'm getting an easy 20min - I haven't run anywhere near the lvc; have been running a pr of 2S 25C Neuenergy 5000mah


Originally Posted by 4wdmt View Post
....Duster. I asked in the other thread if they (Flux diffs) are already shimmed from the factory, they said yes. Those are the people who broke diffs and needs to open them.
Thats incredible, 1st time I've ever had factory shimmed diffs!! Good info, thanks!
Duster_360 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:06 PM
  #65  
Tech Master
iTrader: (25)
 
Brad.R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Memphis,Tn
Posts: 1,739
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

man i want one but i just cant affoard it. im accually saving to buy and e-revo and 2 3s lipos.
Brad.R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:49 PM
  #66  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
Freezebyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 872
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I didn't spend $600+ on a Monster truck, just to run it at "half capacity" Its all about throttle control and learning from your mistakes, so I plan on going 6s. If HPI didn't intend for this thing to take 6S, they wouldn't have recommended it.

That being said, what are some of the top line quality brands of batteries to look for? I"m very new to the Lipo, so i've got alot to learn. Also, looks like theirs very few dual chargers for dual Lipo's without spending a fortune, what would be a all around charger if I get two of them. I DO WANT balancer built into it.

And whats this shimming about? Anything I need to know? Also, should I change the pinion to 25T if I go 6S? My local hobby shop also says to just leave the wire in serial and get two large mAh batteries rather then running them in parellel.
Freezebyte is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:10 PM
  #67  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
4wdmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 746
Default

aggresive1. I have a pair of 5200mah and I time'd it on my last bash in a BMX track. Started 12:40pm and cut off kicks in at 1:22pm. That is 42mins of mixed running (jumps, hi-speed, donuts and what not). How you run will dictate how your juice will last.

Freezebyte, For sure th Flux can take 6S power. For how long is entirely how you will run it. Just look at youtube and you will see some guys running at 6S. Simply insane. As for me, I am all good with 4S. It is already uncontrollable even WITH all the settings down to minimum. Sometimes you wish it stays planted so that you can steer the truck well. You'll soon find out what I mean . Let us know your first impression with 6S.

Manual states that you must use the optional pinion with 6S use. But as I mentioned earlier. I read in other forums that you should not. Too much debate going on. Here are some link though: I'll try to post some more when I can.

http://www.e-savage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4434

http://www.savage-central.com/module...wtopic&t=81009

Diffs shimming is where owners put some thin washers in the spider gears to avoid play inside the diffs. It is a common mod for nitro Savage owners. But as one Flux owner posted, Flux diffs are already shimmed from the factory.
4wdmt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:31 AM
  #68  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 55
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

Freezebyte
a buddy just got and ran his flux on 2 max amps 30c 5250 11.1v 3s lipos.
that thing is STUPID FAST. max amps has the charger ur lookin 4 in a package deal. hit them up for the details.

YOU WONT BE UNHAPPY with that setup. thats a guarentee!!!


http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...50-111&cat=214

thats hs setup
hope that helps
MANIAC1228 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 AM
  #69  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (21)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 11,530
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Freezebyte View Post
I didn't spend $600+ on a Monster truck, just to run it at "half capacity" Its all about throttle control and learning from your mistakes, so I plan on going 6s. If HPI didn't intend for this thing to take 6S, they wouldn't have recommended it.

That being said, what are some of the top line quality brands of batteries to look for? I"m very new to the Lipo, so i've got alot to learn. Also, looks like theirs very few dual chargers for dual Lipo's without spending a fortune, what would be a all around charger if I get two of them. I DO WANT balancer built into it.

And whats this shimming about? Anything I need to know? Also, should I change the pinion to 25T if I go 6S? My local hobby shop also says to just leave the wire in serial and get two large mAh batteries rather then running them in parellel.

There are 2 lipo manufacturers recognized as making the best quality cells - Kokam and Enerland. Seems Kokam are exclusive to Orion and they are geared toward onroad with little to offer except hard cased car pacs. Enerland cells are used by several and come in a wide variety, hard and soft pacs. NeuEnergy, PolyRc, PolyQuest, Hyperion and FlightPower/Trakpower are the ones that come immed to mind. I've used a lot of diff lipos in 18th scale and know good ones from avg to marginal ones. I'm using the NeuEnergy lipos and as a 4S setup they've been awesome. When you put them back on charger, you note that are reading just about identical voltage and they seem to stay that way. Cheaper lipos, voltage would be diff to way diff. Mine rarely are more than 5mv diff, batt to batt or cell to cell. Thats cause the extra bucks they cost is for closley matching the batts.

Look at rc-lipos, they have a good selection. Neus are in kind of a transition - seems Steve Neu and Castle have apparently setup some kind of exclusive deal for Castle to sell his stuff. FlyDMA used to be a Neu dealer, but no more. You can find them at soaring.com, but they seem to be MSRP and are way expensive. FlyDMA didn't sell them at MSRP, they were discounted.

http://www.rclipos.com/

Chargers - I use 2 Hyperion 0610iNet chargers and they were about same price as a Duo. Running pr of 3S for a 6S setup, you'll run into power limitations with a 50watt charger, it will charge them, but t will take more time cause the charger will limit the charge rate to stay under its 50watt power limit. Its kinda out of synch to buy quality lipos and not get a quality charger to maintain/charge of them.

Shimming is using spacers to eliminate ply in teh diff assembly and its been done at the factory for the Flux so you don't need to worry about that.

Soon as you start cutting wires, any warranty you had via HPI is gone. Go with your lhs recommendation - stay with the series setup.
Duster_360 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
  #70  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
snowboard094's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sac Town CA
Posts: 1,974
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MANIAC1228 View Post
Freezebyte
a buddy just got and ran his flux on 2 max amps 30c 5250 11.1v 3s lipos.
that thing is STUPID FAST. max amps has the charger ur lookin 4 in a package deal. hit them up for the details.

YOU WONT BE UNHAPPY with that setup. thats a guarentee!!!


http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.ph...50-111&cat=214

thats hs setup
hope that helps
im sure those batteries are great but that costs more than the FLux.
snowboard094 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 PM
  #71  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
Freezebyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 872
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

So what batteries are peeps runing in 4S setups? I've spent the last couple of hours reading the threads at Monster RC and my head is freaking spinning with what to get power my Flux with that wont' kill my MMM esc.

Ung...maybe I shouldve gotten the Baja 5T instead....
Freezebyte is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:06 PM
  #72  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
snowboard094's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sac Town CA
Posts: 1,974
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Freezebyte View Post
So what batteries are peeps runing in 4S setups? I've spent the last couple of hours reading the threads at Monster RC and my head is freaking spinning with what to get power my Flux with that wont' kill my MMM esc.

Ung...maybe I shouldve gotten the Baja 5T instead....
get two Nue Energy batteries 2*2s or 2*3s
snowboard094 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:20 PM
  #73  
Tech Addict
Thread Starter
 
4wdmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 746
Default

Originally Posted by Freezebyte View Post
So what batteries are peeps runing in 4S setups? I've spent the last couple of hours reading the threads at Monster RC and my head is freaking spinning with what to get power my Flux with that wont' kill my MMM esc.

Ung...maybe I shouldve gotten the Baja 5T instead....
I use these LiPos:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/30549

Everytime I check their voltage. They are always close. Not even .2v difference.


I plan on buying these as my next sets of batts:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/24755

Notice where the battery leads go out.

Take note where the battery leads and balancing ports poke out from the pack when buying a LiPo. The 2nd link I posted will make it easier for you to insert it in the battery boxes and can be installed either in the left or right side.

Lots of traxxas people buy here for their E-Revo brushless:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp

I buy mine from Amain for their overnight UPS delivery option to Canada.

Does your LHS accepts returns if the item is still not used and still new? Maybe you can still bring it back and ask for an exchange?
4wdmt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 PM
  #74  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
Freezebyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 872
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

My LHS was recommending these

http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/html/extreme-V2.html

What will the higher C rating give me, 25c vs 28c? I'm basically looking to maximize my run times. Still dunno if I can choke $100 per battery.

I'm still having helluva time finding the charger for all this as well....

I just took a break and blew shit up on my 360, so i'm good, i'll keep the Flux unless I have the horror stories of frying the ESC
Freezebyte is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:45 PM
  #75  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
snowboard094's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sac Town CA
Posts: 1,974
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Freezebyte View Post
My LHS was recommending these

http://www.thunderpowerrc.com/html/extreme-V2.html

What will the higher C rating give me, 25c vs 28c? I'm basically looking to maximize my run times. Still dunno if I can choke $100 per battery.

I'm still having helluva time finding the charger for all this as well....

I just took a break and blew shit up on my 360, so i'm good, i'll keep the Flux unless I have the horror stories of frying the ESC
those are great batteries but kinda pricey. You can get a good quality batt for much cheaper.
snowboard094 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service