R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   springs and oil (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/286868-springs-oil.html)

cassidy 04-01-2009 06:51 PM

springs and oil

I have a slayer and I know that its not a monster truck, well to try and drive its a monster roll machine!, but I get better responses here than the nitro off road forum. I am gonna put the sway bar kit on it, but I need some suggestions on what springs and shock oil to got with to help get the rolling tamed down. It is mostly just a basher, should I just go with the stiffest springs and heaviest oil I can get? Where should I set the shock preload at? I adjusted the preload with the stock springs and couldnt tell a bit of difference, it is just so soft and has so much body roll I gotta do something about it. Thanks.

pinky2252s 04-01-2009 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by cassidy (Post 5629159)
I have a slayer and I know that its not a monster truck, well to try and drive its a monster roll machine!, but I get better responses here than the nitro off road forum. I am gonna put the sway bar kit on it, but I need some suggestions on what springs and shock oil to got with to help get the rolling tamed down. It is mostly just a basher, should I just go with the stiffest springs and heaviest oil I can get? Where should I set the shock preload at? I adjusted the preload with the stock springs and couldnt tell a bit of difference, it is just so soft and has so much body roll I gotta do something about it. Thanks.

You should keep pretty medium soft spring for bashing, and yes you need heavier oil. for the preload use one of the biggest ones on every shock do give an extra bounce on a jump

cassidy 04-01-2009 07:01 PM

Should I just keep the stock springs and change the shock oil? What wieght should I go with?

pinky2252s 04-01-2009 07:03 PM

You can start with that, and if it doesnt do quite what you want, get stiffer springs! Do you know what kind of oil your going to use

cassidy 04-01-2009 07:05 PM

What kind of oil do you recommend? This is my first rc vehicle.

pinky2252s 04-01-2009 07:09 PM

Theres lots of different kinds, some people by the really expensive stuff from some big RC company.. But its the same thing as PURE SAE motor oil. You can buy a quart of this oil and an auto shop for like 3 bucks and it comes in weights from 5 to 70, a very big range. In my buggy i go with SAE 40 weight, try that

Make sure its the pure stuff, just oil no other lubricants or other things.

If you want me too i will take a pic of the quart so you can see what it looks like

cassidy 04-02-2009 07:56 AM

Thanks for the inside tip on the oil, no need to take a picture, I am a mehanic and happen to have a variety of it here in the shop! What is the heaviest oil you have ever tried?

pinky2252s 04-02-2009 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by cassidy (Post 5630619)
Thanks for the inside tip on the oil, no need to take a picture, I am a mehanic and happen to have a variety of it here in the shop! What is the heaviest oil you have ever tried?

40, if i was racing on asphalt i would use like 60 so i dont have much rebound or bouncy ness

cassidy 04-02-2009 10:31 AM

Ok, I will change the oil to 40 and see what happens. If I think I still need to stiffen it up some more, What spring package should I go with? Any suggestions?

pinky2252s 04-02-2009 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cassidy (Post 5631281)
Ok, I will change the oil to 40 and see what happens. If I think I still need to stiffen it up some more, What spring package should I go with? Any suggestions?

Im not sure how there measured, i would say what ever is tougher then stock but softer then the hardest. So like a medium.