Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Has anybody ever noticed that the Savage front is almost identical to the back? >

Has anybody ever noticed that the Savage front is almost identical to the back?

Has anybody ever noticed that the Savage front is almost identical to the back?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Has anybody ever noticed that the Savage front is almost identical to the back?

So...... I picked up a used Savage X roller to serve as a starting point for a Savage project. Now this is my first Savage and I guess I didn't pay all that close of attention to the design before.

In the pictures on fleaBay the truck is assembled. When I get it in the mail though, the thing has been taken into three pieces so it would fit in a smaller box. The center chassis section is pretty straight forward The two end assemblies though are almost 100% identical. For a bit, I thought that I had been scammed and I had two front ends. But then I looked at several pictures on the web and realized that this was what it was SUPPOSED to look like. HPI certainly simplified the design and the number of unique parts needed for this truck!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

yup i have noticed. i have a savage 25 thats torn apart right now... its nice because you dont have to think which end goes where.. when you put it together dont forget the driveshafts.. i put mine together a few times and forgot to put the driveshafts in.

what engine are you putting in it?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well, at first anyway I'm going to install an RB TM928 that I bought for a Jammin truggy. It's too dang powerful for the truggy, but should work well for the Savage. One of the first things I'm going to do is convert this X to an XL, so later on I may put in a 5.9. Not real sure yet. There are so MANY after market parts for the Savage I'm not sure which way I'll go with it yet.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
Well, at first anyway I'm going to install an RB TM928 that I bought for a Jammin truggy. It's too dang powerful for the truggy, but should work well for the Savage. One of the first things I'm going to do is convert this X to an XL, so later on I may put in a 5.9. Not real sure yet. There are so MANY after market parts for the Savage I'm not sure which way I'll go with it yet.
I have a Savage X Modded out with an RB tm 728, an XL Chassis, ofna 100% offset wheels with Proline badlands, a three speed transmission geared 16/49 . It also has Aluminum C hubs and Steering blocks.( Golsen Horizon )

This thing is Indestructable ( Almost ) With the exeption of hitting things, or breaking shock rods.

I have also put savage XL Machined Crown and pinion gears into the front and rear diffs. The diffs have also been taken apart to accomodate 50,000 wt diff locking oil in rear diff. And 120,00wt in the front diff.
This helps tire hook up with a nearly even wheel speed left to right.
Stock diff only comes with grease so the diffs will free wheel with minimal usage. Hope this help with your project Savage

I also have a Savage Flux HP Modded with the same XL chassis, and aluminum parts . This thing is INSANE