I need advice

Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default I need advice

I need advice on which monster truck to go with. I want to maybe do some racing, but it will be primarily for bashing. what are the best trucks out there that fit the bill and what would the best choice for bashing, electric or nitro?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nitro - Associated MGT 4.6 (I have it and love it)
Savage XL

Electric - Savage Flux
E-Revo Brushless Edition
Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Regular

i think one of the things that I am stuck on most is nitro or electric, I just cant make up my mind.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

With nitro you never need to charge batteries, but you need to buy fuel and tune, plus when people see it,they don't think it is just some cheap toy.

With electric there is no need to tune, but there is the charge time and initial cost of batteries.

If cost is no problem, go electric.
I have a Slash and an MGT, and love both.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you are experienced with rcs you can consider nitro. If you car a beginner get electric. Nitro is a pain in the ass to tune and maintain. Plus brushless electrics can outrun most to any nitro rc car. My advice is to get a e-revo brushless with a pair of lipo batteries.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

How much run time can I expect with lets say, an e revo with some lipos, and long does it take to recharge the batteries?
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Probably somewhere around 30-45 minutes with 2 5000 mah LiPo's, and about 1 hour to charge at a 1C charging rate.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

What does 1c charging rate mean, I am a beginner.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

1C = mAh/1000

So a 5000 mAh battery would charge at 5 amps.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cassidy
What does 1c charging rate mean, I am a beginner.
Since you are a beginner defiantly get electric. Nitro is cool but for more experienced people. If you master electric you might try nitro and like it. You never know.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The E-Maxx was my first truck. I bought it thinking that if I only owned one RC, this thing could do anything and it does. I own five different cars/trucks/buggies and always go back to the E-Maxx for pure fun. Mine is mostly stock and it is very durable and fast enough. Plus it is very water resistant.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Cassidy,

One thing to think about is whether you want to be able to bash right out of the box. With a brushless system you can take it out of the box, charge the batteries and go.

With a Nitro, you will have to go through a lengthy and complicated process of breaking the engine in (several tanks of fuel). If the engine is not broken in properly it will have a VERY short life and you will not get the proper performence even then.

Then after the break in period you have to tune the engine properly to get the proper performence and to protect the engine from running too lean (which will burn it up). Plus you should use after run oil in the engine after each day of using it. Depending on your engine and how you run it, you will also have to re-tune the engine perodically to KEEP it in tune.

This is the reason that people say that Nitro is for experienced RC'ers. If you have the patience and attention to detail that a Nitro car requires, you will have a blast with it.

Another thing to consider is cost. With Nitro, after the engine is broken in, you will have some recurring expenses that Brushless does not. You will need fuel of course, but also you will need to replace air filters (and oil), fuel filters, and glow plugs.

Most likely, the initial cost of a Brushless system will be higher than a Nitro. Decent Brushless systems for 1/8 scale are pricey, and so are the LIPO batteries and balance chargers. But once bought, you will have very little expense in upkeep with the exception of replacing broken parts and bearings that you will need to do reguardless of whether you chose Nitro or Brushless.

I personally have Nitro 1/8 scale and electric for smaller scales.

Last edited by CaptCrunch; 03-21-2009 at 04:20 PM.