Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Summit Battery Vent Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 03:57 AM
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb Traxxas Summit Battery Vent Mod

I want to start off by saying that the new Traxxas Summit ROCKS!

But I had to change something very simple. Let me first explain . . .

I have two sets of batteries for the Summit, so that I can run one set while charging the second set. It is a royal pain to remove the battery wire through the wire port slot next to the cooling duct on the battery compartment. The Traxxas plug will simply not fit in-and-out through the stock wire port. In order to remove the battery totally from the compartment, you have to completly remove the battery cooling air duct via two little screws and then slide the wire out through the large vent opening. (you will have to do this when installing the batteries for the first time.)

So what I did was take a razor blade, and carefully removed the "vents" from the air duct. I then sanded the cut ends of the plastic with some fine grit sandpaper, so I didnt have to worry about any sharp piece of plastic rubbing into my battery wire from vibrations while I drive.

Traxxas Summit Battery Vent Mod-ventmod1.jpgTraxxas Summit Battery Vent Mod-ventmod2.jpg

I figure the batteries can still get plenty of air flow, but at the same time, I can completely remove them from the compartment without having to disassemble the vents to get the wire plug through. Instead of running the wire through the small slot provided, I run it through the larger opening I cut in the vent. It works perfectly!

It’s a simple mod for anyone who has the luxury of two sets of batteries and a dual quick charger. I can run the Summit practically non stop with just enough time to let the engine cool down, without having to worry of it over-heating.

Easy mod, very simple, and something I highly recommend doing.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Smile summit

I think the wires are suppose to run through the slot made in the batt door and the chassias but that is a great idea cause that slot is tight with heavy wire and is prone to cut the wire great thinking
Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Wire Port

Yah, the wires I had from the battery didnt seem to fit in the provided front slot without pinching the wire, so I assumed it was because of the batteries I am running. The slot that is behind the vents seemed to be the perfect fit them, so I assumed that was what it was intended for.

Im running dual Venom 3000's 6 Cell. I get a good 25-30 min's of run time. I'm perfectly happy with them. When ordering my batteries, I was told that the 3000's were "bottom of the line" for the Summit, but I don't believe it. They are perfect in my opinion. I think it was just a salesman trying to get me to spend triple the amount on just 1 battery.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

do you have any advice on the diff oil or grease I should use