Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Thicker shock oil Vs stiffer springs ? >

Thicker shock oil Vs stiffer springs ?

Thicker shock oil Vs stiffer springs ?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Thicker shock oil Vs stiffer springs ?

How does this effect your suspension? Right now my Revo is bottoming out a little too much on some of the jumps and was wondering how each of these changes effect the truck.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Madbrad View Post
How does this effect your suspension? Right now my Revo is bottoming out a little too much on some of the jumps and was wondering how each of these changes effect the truck.

Thanks!
I would recommend harder springs

Oil would change the rate at which you suspension moves
Old 02-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

i was running the light green springs and it was bottoming out on every bumps, so i upgraded the shocks to the savage 4.6 shocks which have made a huge difference. i also bought a 40 piece progressive spring kit off ebay and it has every color and stiffness of shock you'll ever need so if im out in a field or something i can bring the kit with me and match up the stiffness of the shock to the terrain im running on. it was fairly cheap too... like 40 bucks shipped to BC canada. so now i have like 60-70 springs and 18-20 shocks. my old ones off my savage 25 i have to rebuild, bent a couple shock shafts which is also pretty cheap its like 6 bucks (CAD funds)for 2 shafts or something like that. that reminds now that im not working right now i should start building another rc with my stock savvy 25 parts, make all the mounting plates and stuff.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Madbrad View Post

Thanks!
You should use the correct springs to that gives you the ride height with minimum preload. Then use oil to control how the suspension moves.
if your springs are correct and you bottom out, up the oil weight..
Old 02-19-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

If you are running on a smooth track you could change the oil but if your track is bumpy the changing the springs would probably work better.