Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Savage 4.6 Noob needs help ... >

Savage 4.6 Noob needs help ...

Savage 4.6 Noob needs help ...

Reply

Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
reonu5142's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore - Punggol
Posts: 199
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Savage 4.6 Noob needs help ...

Hello guys, can I ask about transmitters and receivers, for those competition use super expensive ones. Other then the fact it is faster and it has better frequency, what else does it do?

Also, has anyone who owns a savage changed their chassis to the XL version?
Anyone can review it?

For the width difference from the Savage X and the XL is there any mods you can do to compensate?

I am getting a 4.6 soon and thinking of increasing the size, can anyone tell me what things I should add to my savage to also help maintaining or other aspects?

Like:

- Fail Safe (In case TX out of Range)
- Cover for the exposed lower chassis (Keep dirt away from internals)
... anyone can tell me what I more ?

Really Truly Appreciate,
Leon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really appreciate the many replies, I am more concerned about getting the length and width of the XL not exactly into wheelies as I just wanna BASH!!!! and TRASH the truck around.

Can you provide website address of the parts needed to achieve the length and width of the XL, The larger the better!

is this 1?

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/100413/

Last edited by reonu5142; 01-31-2009 at 08:05 PM.
reonu5142 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
MoparRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rollin on 35s, NJ
Posts: 4,262
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by reonu5142 View Post
Hello guys, can I ask about transmitters and receivers, for those competition use super expensive ones. Other then the fact it is faster and it has better frequency, what else does it do?

Also, has anyone who owns a savage changed their chassis to the XL version?
Anyone can review it?

For the width difference from the Savage X and the XL is there any mods you can do to compensate?

I am getting a 4.6 soon and thinking of increasing the size, can anyone tell me what things I should add to my savage to also help maintaining or other aspects?

Like:

- Fail Safe (In case TX out of Range)
- Cover for the exposed lower chassis (Keep dirt away from internals)
... anyone can tell me what I more ?

Really Truly Appreciate,
Leon
i think i can be some help here!
i have no idea about the radios. i still run stock.

as for the XL conversion: do you like wheelies? if so, do NOT get the xl conversion. the f4.6 can not lift the weels up off the ground with 2 extra inches.

width difference: the only way they made it any wider were wheel spacers. i would just get anything 40 series from proline. they help ALOT!

extras:

RPP arms
skid plate
fail safe
new steering servo. its week as f'ck. when you get a new one, put the old one where the throttle is.

any other questions you can PM me. i am a "savage expert"
MoparRules is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:13 PM
  #3  
pmp
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
pmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: plainfield
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

as has been said do not do the conversion if you like wheelies. I would just switch out to any lrp wheels with 1/2 offset this will give you an 1inch over extra width without having to turn the masive 40 series tires. as for the radio's go I run a airtronics M-11 with a spektrum pro module in it. it has a built in fail safe so no need for an external one. and it has ton's of adjustment. like end points wich is critical if you plan on running a digital servo. you need to be able to set end points to keep from frying your servos. other than that if your just gonna bash you probably wont use all the other features.
pmp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:35 PM
  #4  
pmp
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
pmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: plainfield
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

also if your getting a RTR or a ss kit you will want to get a hump pack for your reciver and ditch the AA bat holder. Get a minnimum of a 1600 hump pack those tires will drain anything smaller too soon. if you think of any other questions just ask away.
pmp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:47 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
MoparRules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rollin on 35s, NJ
Posts: 4,262
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by pmp View Post
also if your getting a RTR or a ss kit you will want to get a hump pack for your reciver and ditch the AA bat holder. Get a minnimum of a 1600 hump pack those tires will drain anything smaller too soon. if you think of any other questions just ask away.
o sh!t how did i forget the hump pack?! x2!
MoparRules is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:03 PM
  #6  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (9)
 
DHC6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 139
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Some other benefits of more serious radio systems is the ability to change all the parameters of your functions. You can adjust the exponential rate (how fast your servos react for a given input) you can adjust the end points of your servo travel (good for when you get a new steering servo, helps prevent burning your new servo). Model memory (especially good for me!) You can store more then one car/truck settings so you don't have to have multiple transmitters for each car you have. So if you like to have all these adjustments (and many more) then it's a good purchase, and they really are faster, which after the first time you try it, you won't go back. As for your Savage, I would change (I put an ACE 1015 in mine) the steering servo, it will make a big difference. The stock servo sucks! I agree with the other posts if you like wheelies, then leave it stock. The Savage is not a race truck, but it's one helluva basher and jumping truck! When I got my Savage it came with a plastic spur, striped many of those, get the HPI steel spur if it doesn't come with the one you get. I had an Integy under guard, and it worked, but it also trapped in the dirt. So I put the Integy side rails and that helps protect the chassis, and other components that are exposed.
DHC6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:04 PM
  #7  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
reonu5142's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore - Punggol
Posts: 199
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Really appreciate the many replies, I am more concerned about getting the length and width of the XL not exactly into wheelies as I just wanna BASH!!!! and TRASH the turck around.

Can you provide website address of the parts needed to achieve the length and width of the XL, The larger the better!

is this 1?

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/100413/
reonu5142 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:56 PM
  #8  
pmp
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
pmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: plainfield
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by reonu5142 View Post
Really appreciate the many replies, I am more concerned about getting the length and width of the XL not exactly into wheelies as I just wanna BASH!!!! and TRASH the turck around.

Can you provide website address of the parts needed to achieve the length and width of the XL, The larger the better!

is this 1?

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/100413/
yes that is the one but if your changing it I personaly would stear away from the hpi ones expecialy if your gonna build a basher go with the extended ones from FLM (Fast Lane Machine)
http://www.fastlanemachine.com/Publi...6/Default.aspx I would go with part # FLM45100
this one it will lower your motor in the chassie and allow you to corner faster and harder and it is also the XL length and comes with an excelent waranty and costomer service. you might also consider doing a mid tank mod to get rid of the half lean issues savages have. if you are gonna spend more time at the track I would go with the ones from IRC http://www.inovativerc.com/

Last edited by pmp; 01-31-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: added more info
pmp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:59 PM
  #9  
pmp
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
pmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: plainfield
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DHC6 View Post
Some other benefits of more serious radio systems is the ability to change all the parameters of your functions. You can adjust the exponential rate (how fast your servos react for a given input) you can adjust the end points of your servo travel (good for when you get a new steering servo, helps prevent burning your new servo). Model memory (especially good for me!) You can store more then one car/truck settings so you don't have to have multiple transmitters for each car you have. So if you like to have all these adjustments (and many more) then it's a good purchase, and they really are faster, which after the first time you try it, you won't go back. As for your Savage, I would change (I put an ACE 1015 in mine) the steering servo, it will make a big difference. The stock servo sucks! I agree with the other posts if you like wheelies, then leave it stock. The Savage is not a race truck, but it's one helluva basher and jumping truck! When I got my Savage it came with a plastic spur, striped many of those, get the HPI steel spur if it doesn't come with the one you get. I had an Integy under guard, and it worked, but it also trapped in the dirt. So I put the Integy side rails and that helps protect the chassis, and other components that are exposed.
the savage can be one helluva race truck in the proper hand with the proper mods done. I can run with any of the truggy's at my local track. And I have seen a few that have placed in the nat's but for most they are just bashers. In stock trim ya thats pretty much all there good for is to bash but put $125 and some time and patients and you can bash with your friends then swap shock fluid and diff fluid and race with the truggys at your local track
pmp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 PM
  #10  
pmp
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
pmp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: plainfield
Posts: 90
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MoparRules View Post
i think i can be some help here!
i have no idea about the radios. i still run stock.

as for the XL conversion: do you like wheelies? if so, do NOT get the xl conversion. the f4.6 can not lift the weels up off the ground with 2 extra inches.

width difference: the only way they made it any wider were wheel spacers. i would just get anything 40 series from proline. they help ALOT!

extras:

RPP arms
skid plate
fail safe
new steering servo. its week as f'ck. when you get a new one, put the old one where the throttle is.

any other questions you can PM me. i am a "savage expert"
almost forgot also take out your diffs clean all the grease crap Hpi puts in thier out. then get some diff fluid and refill them with that will make a huge difference in how you truck handles. I would start with 10k in the front and 7k in the rear for starters thats a good all around setup
pmp is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service