Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
HPI Wheely King-have some Qs >

HPI Wheely King-have some Qs

HPI Wheely King-have some Qs

Old 01-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default HPI Wheely King-have some Qs

I was wondering if anyone uses the gear reduction transmission? And what a good replacement motor providing good rock crawling power? Does using Traxxas pushrods provide the same amount of wheel base extension as the rock crawling kit? Thanks in advance-Phil
Old 01-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Rookie

I just recently built and sold my Wheelie King. Best way to build it is to purchase the conversion kit, its about 50 bucks and the only retro fitting required is to cut down the drive shafts to make them fit. They come a bit to long. I also had the reduction box, but the best way is to use a 55 T motor. The reduction box is loud and adds more weight to the top, lower cg is the key. The next purchase is a servo mount for the front axle. Having all the linkage as long as it is makes it hard for the servo to work properly when you put it in a bind. If you get all of these things and add wheel weights it makes a pretty good crawler. Any other questions i can help with just ask.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Gear box. From all of the videos I been watching no one seems to use it, I kinda like to go a lil fast from time to time and I was wondering if it greatly reduces top speed, and if so, does it provide enough low speed crawling enhancement to be worth it?

Got the coversion kit, still having a problem with the servo not being able to turn the wheels when flexed in a tough spot, where can I find the servo mount you mentioned? Or is it possible to just buy a stronger servo?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Gear Box.... No its not worth the money, just run a 45 T motor for crawling and moderate speed.
Servo Mount.... attached is a pic of one, im thinking about makin a few of these myself to sell. Buying a top of the line servo wont help, the down fall is all in the linkage. Thats why it needs to be mounted direct.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Wheely King-have some Qs-sany0393%2520-small-%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Those are custom made?
Attached Thumbnails HPI Wheely King-have some Qs-n509890271_2477226_6935.jpg  
Old 01-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes they are. I just sold mine to a buddy for his daughter to get into the rc craize and she loves the WK for the power and looks but hates the weak steering. So ive been looking for a servo mount to buy and this is the only one i can find. The people making them right now are very proud of them, so i am going to start making my own. They want about $30 dollars for theirs. Im thinkin i can make and sell them for half that plus shipping. I can keep you informed on the progress, if you are interested in one of them.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Well the ones ive seen, I dont like how bulky they are, and how bad they look on the axles, I ay just keep it stock for now since I dont compete just bash around on my farm.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Installing the crawling kit now
Attached Thumbnails HPI Wheely King-have some Qs-n509890271_2485310_2857.jpg   HPI Wheely King-have some Qs-n509890271_2485308_6212.jpg  
Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Nice, let me know if you have any questions. I will keep checking back here or you can send me a personal message
Old 01-31-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

I really need to find one of those servo mounts! The new clearance and flex ability is nice, but the extended wheel base makes it that much more harder to turn.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Wheely King-have some Qs-2b.jpg   HPI Wheely King-have some Qs-1b.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Tech Rookie

glad I bought it when I did the hobby shop where I got it from just raised the price by 70$, seems like its a good selling item
Old 02-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Well still havnt been able to find a servo mount, but I am pretty content with the upgrades I have so far.
Attached Thumbnails HPI Wheely King-have some Qs-1fz.jpg   HPI Wheely King-have some Qs-2f.jpg   HPI Wheely King-have some Qs-3f.jpg  
Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Rookie

For the front steering linkage, using a servo mount that mounts in the middle of the axle, what can I use? right now I have the shorter plastic linkage bar connected to the servo and then a screw drilled into the longer plastic bar from wheel to wheel, it turns great one way but not so great the other. Lookin at pics all over I see alot of people with metal bars and connectors that appear to connect at one of the wheels, seems like it works better? Is that a custom config or can I buy it?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Rookie

heres what I got so far
Attached Thumbnails HPI Wheely King-have some Qs-n509890271_2743926_2029561.jpg