Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Revo 3.3 build under 7lbs >

Revo 3.3 build under 7lbs

Revo 3.3 build under 7lbs

Old 12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Couldn't resist and bought the axle carriers, brake rotor, alum. balls, alum. posts, and alum. pivot balls. I only race so hopefully the integrity of the alum stuff won't be an issue.

I"ll post pics of the total weight savings with these parts. Not much, but I cant leave well enough alone.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Never had any luck with the traxxas aluminum pivot balls.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, it was something I knew already, and in the end, will probably end up with Lunsford stuff.

I looked into a Lunsford screw set for the truck also, but at nearly $250 , dont' see it happening.

FHM- which engine is that, .12 or .15 ? How does it do pushing around that much weight?

Last edited by K.Copeland; 12-18-2008 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

I had my 2.5 Revo down to 7 lbs 1oz w/o fuel. It did have X-wings in front, a wing, standard chassis and a NiMh 5 cell pack. I did every trick. Here was my list.

Stock chassis with nearly 50 holes in it. Cut weight in half.
titanium axles
titanium/aluminum u-joints
every screw aluminum or titanium
titanium rocker posts (aluminum ones broke too easily)
drilled out bulkheads, body mounts, roll bar, wing mount, wing (older small CRT wing with 80 holes in it)
No center brace, front and rear braces cut to half thickness
Cut skidplates, no bumpers
Lightened flywheel (use stock size, not the larger Traxxas one)
Aluminum pushrods
Ti hingepins
No radio boxes
X-wings
RD Quickturn
RD 23mm hex adaptors
40 Series Wabash rims, narrowed with Response tires
Mugen tank

My X-wings are like a Quickturn but in between the front diff and the front wheels. So I basically had 3 one way bearing in the front end and it was still 7 lbs 1 oz.

If I would have gone lipo, I would have been under 7 lbs. I did nickname it Sub7 as that was my goal. I ran a modded 2.5 in it and it was insane. I posted the fastest single lap at an event (including 8th buggies) and my MT times would have qualified in the buggy main at every race I raced it at that summer. That was 3 years ago. I loved a light truck with a stock or modded 2.5. With my mod motor I could get 12-15 minutes on a tank (pitted 1 time in a 30 minute main, track was small, but that is still impressive) and it still had great power. Not sure how a light truck would be with a bigger HP motor.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrightcs77
I had my 2.5 Revo down to 7 lbs 1oz w/o fuel. It did have X-wings in front, a wing, standard chassis and a NiMh 5 cell pack. I did every trick. Here was my list.

Stock chassis with nearly 50 holes in it. Cut weight in half.
titanium axles
titanium/aluminum u-joints
every screw aluminum or titanium
titanium rocker posts (aluminum ones broke too easily)
drilled out bulkheads, body mounts, roll bar, wing mount, wing (older small CRT wing with 80 holes in it)
No center brace, front and rear braces cut to half thickness
Cut skidplates, no bumpers
Lightened flywheel (use stock size, not the larger Traxxas one)
Aluminum pushrods
Ti hingepins
No radio boxes
X-wings
RD Quickturn
RD 23mm hex adaptors
40 Series Wabash rims, narrowed with Response tires
Mugen tank

My X-wings are like a Quickturn but in between the front diff and the front wheels. So I basically had 3 one way bearing in the front end and it was still 7 lbs 1 oz.

If I would have gone lipo, I would have been under 7 lbs. I did nickname it Sub7 as that was my goal. I ran a modded 2.5 in it and it was insane. I posted the fastest single lap at an event (including 8th buggies) and my MT times would have qualified in the buggy main at every race I raced it at that summer. That was 3 years ago. I loved a light truck with a stock or modded 2.5. With my mod motor I could get 12-15 minutes on a tank (pitted 1 time in a 30 minute main, track was small, but that is still impressive) and it still had great power. Not sure how a light truck would be with a bigger HP motor.

Got any pictures of the truck?
Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I got some goodies in the mail yesterday, unfortunately the other things will probably be delayed due to the impending storm here.

I'm going to shoot for 8.4lbs , which will give me more of what I wanted. A slightly more agile truck in the air, and speed out of the corners.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
Anyone know where I can find the ti. stub axles? I did a search and came up with nothing.

Thanks.
If I remember right, CNR (Crazy Nut Racing) made some nice ones. Would not trust 3Racing or cheap ones off ebay.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Madbrad
Got any pictures of the truck?

No pics that I can find, sorry.

I ran this the summer before frog legs and center diff came out. Worked incredibly well. Not sure how it would work on a big air track as the truck would be a little more difficult to adjust in mid air.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by danyak101
A couple of yrs ago many of us were tryion gto build the lightest Revo's to race with. After a season of racing in very competitive events we all found that the revo handles with a bit more weight to it. 8.5-10lbs seems like the standard. Many of us would find better traction and more attitude control while jumping with heavier tires as well. Just an FYI. The truck looks beautiful. On a smooth track the light trucks do well for sure or anything indoors where low end acceleration is beneficial critical to going fast. It was the larger outdoor rough tracks that the heavy trucks did better on. Slayden's, Tim Roberts, Roy Pitchlin's, and many other pro Traxxas drivers never got their trucks too light because they would get all twicthy and harder to keep in control. However with heavier wheels and lighter wheels I think you could use them as a tuning option. Or i bet a light truck like that would run awesome on a nice little .12 size motor. Just an idea. many of us ran the PL Wabash Wheels with Panther tires.
Your right on. Mine is right about 8.75 lbs. I actually added some weight back get her planted a bit better.