Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revo 3.3 upgrades for race?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Revo 3.3 upgrades for race?

I purchased a RTR Revo 3.3 about two months ago. I've done the break in proccess. When I got comfortable with controlling the truck. I purchased and installed a set of pre-glued bow ties and a wing. I went to a local off road track and of course over the large jumps I cart wheeled and flip it several times on landing it. Which bent a couple of the tie rods. The day was ended when I broke a lower A-arm on a rod sticking out of the ground on the track. I've purchased a set of RPM A-arms for both sides. I'm wanting to know of any racing upgrades as far as drive train and suspension. I recently have been trying to tune the shifting pattern. Running it down and back on a gravel driveway; now it won't move at all. I think it might a small rock wedged somewhere. If you push it on the ground it will move about a half of foot then stop and roll back the same. When you pick it up the front wheels move freely and the back the same. Just not all four at same time. I'm just learning about this truck, so any tips, tricks, and hints will be greatly welcomed! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default help

possibly sheared a pin inside of transmission and it is weged in between one of the gears, as far as options for racing there is not enough room here to list them all. check the tekno parts they have a lot of hopups, plus center diff an rear brake, don't forget the tires maxx size , 17mm or 23 mm wheels 1/2 offset. remove reverse gear and servo add forward only kit, tekno battery box & fuel tank kit, know ur about 200 bills shorter but well on ur way, oh ya don't forget the sway bar kit, do the steering mods for more steering. now ur well on ur way. good luck (when u are done it will be well worth it beleive me)
Old 05-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The stock revo is a fat pig. The first thing I would do is to take the easy start system off and replace it with a 40mm flywheel and get a starter box. Second, take the reverse system out and replace it with the forward only converstion and center diff. Third, replace both crappy steering servos with one good one like an ace 1015 or futaba 9351.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The EZ start removal is the only thing that will save you any real weight. If you like reverse, leave it in. It's too minor of a difference to put yourself out.

I have a Revo 3.3 that I took to the track a couple times and I found it to be nearly impossible to actually "race" it around the track. It's too heavy of a truck to be nimble or pick up enough power to traction ratio to make any technical moves. No matter how low you set it, everything is still above the axles on top of the chassis.

I know people race revo's, and I know some really enjoy it, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. I've vowed never to take my 3.3 back to the track as it just didn't belong there. Instead I built a buggy and a truggy for that and left the monster "racer" at home for bashing. I do have a very technical track though so I could see how on an average flat track with no major hurdles it might be a lot better to drive, but certainly have to have the right track to run one on.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default revo3.3

to each his own, i raced the 8T for one season, and a lighting stadium pro-r for 2 years, I agree the revo is no match, but everybody went out an bought truggys & I would say that only about 50% were able to drive them sensibley, it got to be no fun courtesy went out the window, I know run the revo an just love it, most of the hackers are now in the truggy class. again to each his own..
Old 05-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

Pick up a set of Traxxas swaybars, big help even on a box stock Revo.

Ed M.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Something that I'm surprised has been missed so far. Maybe I'm missing something...

But...Steering Mods!! On the Traxxas website, under the PitPass articles there are several 'tuning' write-ups by the Traxxas Pro driver Steve Slayden. The Steering mods were a LIFE saver for me, I felt like I got 100% more throw. That in combination with a good steering servo (I use a Hitec 5955tg) will make your truck MUCH better.

Good luck with your changes, and as previously mentioned, MT may not be the 'F-1' of RC, but it sure is FUN!!

db
Old 05-28-2008, 05:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks for the tips, keep em coming!

I'm waiting on the forward only conversion before I take the transmission apart. All other mods are soon to be purchased. Thank you for the tips and advice!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default movement problem

I have had the same issue and found out i sheared the pin under the bell you will have to remove the engine. to get to the pin because the bell will not come off unless you remove the mount.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Southern28
I'm waiting on the forward only conversion before I take the transmission apart. All other mods are soon to be purchased. Thank you for the tips and advice!
Have fun with it, there are tuns of hop ups and if so inclined lends its self well to custom mods and can be made very racetrack worthy. Here is a pic of my chassis with a ton of hand made mods.
Attached Thumbnails Revo 3.3 upgrades for race?-2011-01-23_22.44.28.jpg  
Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you can race a Monster truck,you will be able to race anything.It will teach you how to drive.I love racing my Revo.I race a Losi 8 & 8T 2.0 and its fun but the Revo or an LST is special.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:18 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

STOP...right now before you end up with a moneypit. Unless you have
a large MT class at your local track you are going to end up building a
truck with no class to run in. If you really want to race get a truggy
or a buggy and leave the REVO for bashing.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JsK
STOP...right now before you end up with a moneypit. Unless you have
a large MT class at your local track you are going to end up building a
truck with no class to run in. If you really want to race get a truggy
or a buggy and leave the REVO for bashing.
He's right, although I really like my revo (have a couple) and enjoy working on it its basically just for me. When I race, I race a truggy, only take the revo to practice days. Not much monster truck racing these days.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Pretty sure he doesn't need anymore advice, look how old the OP is.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dark Dragon
Pretty sure he doesn't need anymore advice, look how old the OP is.
Thats classic, never noticed that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.